• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader/Elite Four Difficulty

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    I just beat Fantina in Diamond- didn't even brake a thumb sweat:p They have all been pretty easy, but then again im usually over zeleous when leveling up pokemon. Gardenia's stupid Roserade almost OHKO'd one of my pokes, but I survived. My team thus far is Torterra, Crobat, and Luxray. All of which are level 40 and over.

Not to sound cocky, but the gym leaders are usually insanley easy in all the pokemon games. It's battle tower/ battle frontier that is a bit harder:/

Years
    I didn't really struggle as such. It was a tiny bit more challenging I would say.

Which is good, but they still didn't make me black out at any pat of the game!

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
    Years
    Im having trouble with Gardenia's Pokemon when i started.. And also Cynthia i hate her pokemon :3 but it's strong love them XD.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    i've not had much trouble with any of them really, but i did really struggle against Elite 4 Lucian once, but i found cynthia stupidly easy that time? :S

I found myself in the same situation in platinum. Lucian Hardest Trainer. Cynthia i beat easier than some of the last gyms. Early on in the Game i found quite easy considering i trained my piplup to a prinplup before i went to professer rowan at the start haha

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Am I the only one who has a hard time with most of the Elite Four? ;;

For Gymleaders, the hardest was Gardenia. I chose Piplup, you see, and because Piplup was the only Pokemon in my arsenal besides Bidoof at that time, I kept being knocked out! I was supposed to capture either Beautifly or Dustox, but found myself using Hoothoot. Man. It was so hard. I hate how they made Hypnosis's Accuracy to 70. I was lucky enough to have Hypnosis hit Turtwig and have my Prinplup knock out Turtwig without waking him up. But Cherrim kept using Safeguard everytime so I can't even put Hypnosis on Roserade! Thankfully, I manage to be lucky enough to take out Cherrim and have Safeguard's effect wore off. Roserade was very easy, I wouldn't even consider Gardenia's Roserade as a challenge but type disadvatange hurts so bad.

For Elite Four, man I was over unprepared!

Aaron kept me distracted with his Drapion and his Vespiquen kept draining my Togekiss's Air Slash. I'm was eager to knock out his Yanmega on the first turn because of his Speedboost, and I have a hard time keeping my Magmortar in bay or else I'll have a real trouble with his Scizor.

Bertha, She poses a real threat with her Gliscor. My Tangrowth really helped me because it knocked out all of her Pokemon with just Mega Drain, but really have a hard time with her Gliscor. Thankfully, Tangrowth is a defensive type. Other than her Gliscor, I kinda thought her Rhyperior would be a real troublesome, but then it was easy, OHKO with just Mega Drain. I was wondering what would happen if I teach Tangrowth Giga Drain...

Flint. His team was a bomb. I regretted choosing Piplup as a starter because Empoleon kept being knocked out with a Flamethrower! Also, due to the power up Sunny Day has, I lost most of my Hyper Potion and Revival Herb because of Rapidash, Infernape and Magmortar. Argh. It wasn't my cup of tea, I hear you.

Lucian. I had no trouble with him, but his Gallade is a menace. Drain Punch + Stone Edge = Horrible. Thankfully, Togekiss comes to the rescue.

Cynthia's Garchomp knoced out most of my team. Togekiss and Tangrowth wasn my only hope. But it wasn't enough, so I traded my Floatzel from Pearl. It swept the floor with Garchomp, but It felt like cheating. ;;

Thankfully, the second time around, I manage to hold my ground against the E4, even if they are 10 Levels higher than me.

Runaru

Moon Radiance
    Years
    Well, I did not have much difficulty in both, but those that stand out most are Cynthia and Volkner​

LuckLuxray123

lv. 100 owner
    Years
    To me i think the hardest gym leader is Maylene and the easiest is Wake the hardest in the elite 4 the hardest is Lucian and the easiest is Flint

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Lucian was pretty hard. He has a strong team, but that's actually a good thing on my side.

I suppose I can say Cynthia was hard. The only kick I've seen from her was her lv. 69 Garchomp in Platinum, which gave a bit trouble to some people.

For some reason I would have to say Crasher Wake has seemed to toughen up a bit in Platinum, but not by much. Comparing him to Pokemon Pearl, he's grown a stronger stragety. He was a bit difficult, but not as difficult as Fantina was for me.

Years
    Actually I found D/P/Pt. quite easy. there was enough space between gyms to train so all the gym leaders were easy to beat. The only problem I had in Pt. was Lucian because I didn't have any effective moves besides U-turn on Gliscor so I had to rely on pure power to beat him. (still really easy) It's the only game generation that i beat the E4 for the first time

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    For me the gym most difficult some game had been the seventh one, surely very it depended on the characteristics of my team.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2016
    I had trouble with Gardenia, but then again, I was only using Prinplup. >.<

Skylar

x3
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    Lucian and Cynthia were big struggles for me in Pearl and Platinum.
    The rest were easy and basic, though.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
    I really had no difficulty with any of the leaders, the elite four, or anywhere in the story line. As it has been said before, a team of Rattatas could beat the entire story line.
    No offense to those of you that did have trouble.

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
    I must say, that i had some trouble with Elite Four member Lucian. Champ Cynthia's Garchomp was really hard to defeat too, but in the end i barely could win against them.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    All i can say is Lucian is pretty damn hard
    Gallade was kicking down my team one by one
    the only advantage i had against it was my Leafeon's Shadow Ball
    But Gallade kept using Psycho Cut and i kept using hyper potions
    But the second time i was prepared

Ayselipera

and for Elite Four I would say Lucian.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2016
    In Diamond i had trouble with Lucian the first time around, and i'm currently (as in, i'm battling her while writing this) having trouble with Fantina in Platinum. The man looking chick got tough! :P

Dasseo

Pokemon Pimp
    Years
    I had difficulty with the Elite Four: The Old Lady, who's name escapes me, because I was stupid enough to walts on in with only a lvl 65 Electric type and a lvl 46 Water type.

Back