• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • Look it up in Bulbapedia and go to the Layout part of it's page, it clearly has ice in FrLg, in the originals it looks like it too, but they're black and white so it's hard to tell for sure...

In the originals they didn't have ice, but the Ice Path in Johto didn't have icy tiles as well until Crystal I think. It was blue, of course, and had the ice puzzles, too, but the tiles were the common cave ones. That's why the Seafoam Islands didn't have an icy appearance in RBY.

In any case, you're right.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Roxanne - Love her new look
    Brawly - I...kind of prefer his older look.
    Wattson - I prefer his new look
    Flannery - Her new look definitely matches her personality so +1
    Norman - I don't mind either to be honest.
    Winona - LOVE her new look. LOVE IT.
    Liza & Tate - Cute new designs - definitely prefer the new ones.
    Wallace - LOVE HIS NEW DESIGN

Sydney - Dislike his new look - he looks 80 years old with that jaw.
    Phoebe - Dislike her new look. She looks far too young. :(
    Glacia - Looks very pretty, I miss her serious facial expression though - characteristic of an elite four member.
    Drake - same design just better drawn. +1
    Steven - love his new design. +1

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • My opinions on the designs:

Roxanne - definitely digging her new design. Her old outfit made her look kinda.. too mature.
    Brawly - new design definitely looks better, without a doubt.
    Wattson - I actually prefer the old one. The new outfit is rather kiddy, which is quite a contrast.
    Flannery - new outfit looks cuter I guess. Just subtle changes anyway.
    Norman - love the new more-traditional Japanese feel.
    Winona - did her outfit even change?
    Liza and Tate - the new outfits definitely give them more personality, albeit more childish. Love it.
    Wallace - his emerald outfit was the best IMO. No comment on the new outfit, but I like it more than the original RS.

Sidney - I actually love his more cunning look, fits a dark type trainer like him really well.
    Phoebe - I don't see any changes...
    Glacia - she definitely looks younger, which is a GOOD thing.
    Drake - I don't see any changes...
    Steven - mindblown

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    I just want Steven to be Champion, like in Ruby/Sapphire, but Juan as the 8th gym leader, like in Emerald. There can only be Juan...
    Spoiler:

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • My thoughts/preferences on the designs.

Roxanne
    - Love the newer outfit.
    Brawly - I think this design makes a little more sense than the old one, and I like that he's got a tan.
    Wattson -I liked his sweatshirt in the old one so that's the one I prefer.
    Flannery - New design makes her look a little more crazy, but I like it. She's always been my favourite Hoenn gym leader.
    Norman - The new pose makes him look more intense, I love it.
    Winona - She looks stunning, LOVE the new design.
    Liza and Tate - Old design was cuter, but the new one is fine.
    Wallace - Hate his new design. Just... wat.

Sidney - Looks crazy, I like it.
    Phoebe - Pretty much the same, love the new pose.
    Glacia - She looks more regal and elegant in her new design, I like it.
    Drake - I'm glad they kept him the same, I think his outfit is awesome. Great new pose too.
    Steven - Super classy looking.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Gah. I can't wait to re-battle Tate & Liza in a double Gym battle, especially with Lunatone & Solrock combination. :3

Years
  • Personally, I want to see Wattson replaced, along with Juan and Wallace. I like Norman, but I'd like to see him having more Pokemon, because he only really carried one evolution line. I would enjoy Winona as a sky battle, and maybe one of them as a triple battle, also I think they could all use a wardrobe swap, just minorly, though.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Personally, I want to see Wattson replaced, along with Juan and Wallace. I like Norman, but I'd like to see him having more Pokemon, because he only really carried one evolution line. I would enjoy Winona as a sky battle, and maybe one of them as a triple battle, also I think they could all use a wardrobe swap, just minorly, though.

I can already imagine the number of people losing to Winona if it's a sky battle.

I agree that Norman should use more diverse Pokemon, but at least Gamefreak made him tougher.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I can already imagine the number of people losing to Winona if it's a sky battle.

I agree that Norman should use more diverse Pokemon, but at least Gamefreak made him tougher.

Spoiler:

As much as people want Winona to be a sky battle, it'll be highly unlikely because every Gym (barring doubles-focused Tate & Liza) always uses the traditional singles format.

But Norman I think will definitely be the "nightmarish" Gym this time around due to Retaliate. I surely knew how tough Lenora was in Black & White because a 140 base power at that point would just likely OHKO anything. If the Protect TM is available before him I know I'll have to stick it on me so I can block the boosted Retaliate, but if it's not than I can imagine many using a Rock or Steel-type (or heck even Sableye) to cushion the blow.

Norman doesn't even need different species to be tough, because Slaking is already one of the strongest-ever Normal-types. However I can just imagine how many future Nuzlocke or Wedlocke runs will likely have someone losing a Pokemon against him.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I agree with the majority when it comes to the new designs.

Wallace: wat. I swear I'll be bleaching my eyes when I have to battle Wallace. Damn, where's PokeSpe when you need it? I need to see coordinator-Wallace again to get rid of that image from my brain.

Sydney: jaw looks awkward.

Other than that, they all look much better.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • As much as people want Winona to be a sky battle, it'll be highly unlikely because every Gym (barring doubles-focused Tate & Liza) always uses the traditional singles format.

But Norman I think will definitely be the "nightmarish" Gym this time around due to Retaliate. I surely knew how tough Lenora was in Black & White because a 140 base power at that point would just likely OHKO anything. If the Protect TM is available before him I know I'll have to stick it on me so I can block the boosted Retaliate, but if it's not than I can imagine many using a Rock or Steel-type (or heck even Sableye) to cushion the blow.

Norman doesn't even need different species to be tough, because Slaking is already one of the strongest-ever Normal-types. However I can just imagine how many future Nuzlocke or Wedlocke runs will likely have someone losing a Pokemon against him.
    I think he was tougher though in Emerald than in Sapphire...if only they had given them their Emerald teams.
    I think Norman will be even tougher in the rematches if they happen, as he may be given Mega Kanga (he had Kanga in his Emerald rematches so it won't be so out of the blue for him to have it)...imagine a double retaliate from that thing...

Years
  • I think he was tougher though in Emerald than in Sapphire...if only they had given them their Emerald teams.

Well in Emerald they took one of his Slaking and replaced it with a Spinda and Linoone, which trades sheer power for annoyance and arguably even more danger (if only because Linoone had Belly Drum) respectively.

He will have Feint Attack here it seems, but Sableye might still be useful against him. Although again, if Protect is available before then it'll make things significantly easier regardless.

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • Roxanne - She actually looks like a teacher now and I like it.
    Brawly - His design is cool. Nothing special though except it's fun that GF gave him a tan considering he is a surfer dude and spends much time on beach.
    Wattson - Not really too much difference. He looked like an electrical worker or something like that in original games already and so does he now.
    Flannery - She looks now more of a teenager and wilder which fits her personality more.
    Norman - More suited since earlier he looked like he was suffering or something. Constipated perhaps, hah? And since the main character is his son/daughter he has that determined look of a Gym Leader now that though he has to battle against his own child he will fill his duty as a Gym Leader and won't give up easily.
    Winona - She looks more majestic which I actually wished since she is Flying-type trainer and Gym Leader. And most of real life birds such as eagles and hawks are majestic in air. They dominate their habitat and Winona finally looks like she's the ruler of sky battles and Flying-type Pokémon as she should have been earlier.
    Liza and Tate - I prefer the newer ones since now they actually look more like children and their pose is neat.
    Wallace - Am I only one who actually loves Wallace's new design? Earlier he was much more regal looking and now he looks like this wild and crazy artist. Plus his outfit is now more suited for participating in Contests too which I really want him to do in ORAS.

Sidney - Looks cooler than before. Meh, he's okay.
    Phoebe - Some small improvements but overall the biggest change is that she looks younger and it was the right change on her. I would have wished that they'd changed her a bit more though.
    Glacia - Hopefully her team isn't as much of garbage as her outfit is. Though now she finally looks more regal than before. Overall I'd hope they'd changed her outfit more and made her look something that hasn't escaped from an Amish nightmare. :P
    Drake - Nothing to comment. Don't even ask. Kind of a disappointment for me.
    Steven - I think Steven now really look's more of a Champion unlike in original Ruby and Saphire. Not to indicate that I didn't like him back then but now he has some kind of a spark that he seemed to lack in RSE.

Years
  • Roxanne - She actually looks like a teacher now and I like it.
    Brawly - His design is cool. Nothing special though except it's fun that GF gave him a tan considering he is a surfer dude and spends much time on beach.
    Wattson - Not really too much difference. He looked like an electrical worker or something like that in original games already and so does he now.
    Flannery - She looks now more of a teenager and wilder which fits her personality more.
    Norman - More suited since earlier he looked like he was suffering or something. Constipated perhaps, hah? And since the main character is his son/daughter he has that determined look of a Gym Leader now that though he has to battle against his own child he will fill his duty as a Gym Leader and won't give up easily.
    Winona - She looks more majestic which I actually wished since she is Flying-type trainer and Gym Leader. And most of real life birds such as eagles and hawks are majestic in air. They dominate their habitat and Winona finally looks like she's the ruler of sky battles and Flying-type Pokémon as she should have been earlier.
    Liza and Tate - I prefer the newer ones since now they actually look more like children and their pose is neat.
    Wallace - Am I only one who actually loves Wallace's new design? Earlier he was much more regal looking and now he looks like this wild and crazy artist. Plus his outfit is now more suited for participating in Contests too which I really want him to do in ORAS.

Sidney - Looks cooler than before. Meh, he's okay.
    Phoebe - Some small improvements but overall the biggest change is that she looks younger and it was the right change on her. I would have wished that they'd changed her a bit more though.
    Glacia - Hopefully her team isn't as much of garbage as her outfit is. Though now she finally looks more regal than before. Overall I'd hope they'd changed her outfit more and made her look something that hasn't escaped from an Amish nightmare. :P
    Drake - Nothing to comment. Don't even ask. Kind of a disappointment for me.
    Steven - I think Steven now really look's more of a Champion unlike in original Ruby and Saphire. Not to indicate that I didn't like him back then but now he has some kind of a spark that he seemed to lack in RSE.
    Amish Nightmare? What's so bad about dressing like an amish?

Wallace's suit definitely fits right in with the other artistic gym leader's we've seen...Fatima, and Burgh. Out of the three I like better Fatima's design...

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • Amish Nightmare? What's so bad about dressing like an amish?

Wallace's suit definitely fits right in with the other artistic gym leader's we've seen...Fatima, and Burgh. Out of the three I like better Fatima's design...

Technically everything and in the other hand nothing. I just personally doesn't like her outfit to look like that because she should look more regal in a way and not too old fashioned. Give her something new, spice the design by giving some print to her clothes or something small that wouldn't make her look like an old spinster.

Though that is just my opinion. :P

Yeah, I agree and I like how they took a risk to change him so drastically compared to previous designs. Before he looked more of a Champion and not really a person who's passion is beauty and coordinating (I don't remember what that competition thing was called and I'm too lazy to check up on it atm).

BTW as off-topic but didn't Wallace had some kind of relationship with Winona in manga? Just been pissed off how people comment her looking gay and ****** in the new design while I'm sure it was stated somewhere he had a romantic relationship with one of the Gym Leaders. Or then it was Steven.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not such a huge follower of manga, so I wouldn't precisely, but it would certainly be interesting if they'd decided to made their relationship to be displayed in-game, as we've never had Gym Leaders showing love for each other in Pokémon games. Though, chances of it actually happening is sort of unlikely, considering that they're attempting to keep Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as close to RSE as possible.

Years
  • I'm not such a huge follower of manga, so I wouldn't precisely, but it would certainly be interesting if they'd decided to made their relationship to be displayed in-game, as we've never had Gym Leaders showing love for each other in Pokémon games. Though, chances of it actually happening is sort of unlikely, considering that they're attempting to keep Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as close to RSE as possible.
    There was some between Norman and the mom...but it's not much. I wouldn't be too surprised though if they hinted at Winona-Wallace though considering FrLg took Silver being Giovanni's son (which was first in the manga before the games) and hinted at it, with HgSs making it canon.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Manga =/= games. Lance, for example, is evil in the manga, yet he's a hero in the games.

Game canon is game canon. Winona never had any feelings for anyone in RSE.

Back