• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym "Obstacles"

Years
  • What is your opinion on gym obstacles, such as the lift's in Byron's gym or
    the warp panels in the Mosdeep Gym? Do you think Gym's should be done "Anime-style", in which you walk in the gym and challenge its leader?
    Personally I find them fun, but a few were somewhat vexing. I'd also like some variety, however. I wouldn't mind a straight challenge, but I'd prefer obstacles be kept
    for most gyms.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I just thought that the Seventh Gym in Johto was a b***h to get through in Heartgold XD

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I found Morty's in HG/SS ALOT harder than his original one and I like the concept of the Gym Puzzles/Obsticles, it makes it more fun than just a plain basic Gym.

DarkShadows

Stuck in the A b y s s
    Years
  • I hated Clair's Gym it was hard in HeartGold and SoulSilver, Other than that pretty fun.

Last edited:

Maj. Cor

With love, grace and strength.
    Years
  • I like the gym obstacles. They give You something to do and an opportunity to train your Pokemon a little more. It's sort of a ***** to go back and forth from PC to Gym, but if you had the right skills like I do, that wouldn't be a problem. ;) Just kidding.​

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I prefer the simpler ones. It's nice to have a little puzzle and all, but some of them get to be so extravagant that they're just plain tedious. Crasher Wake's Gym, for instance, was a neat idea. What with the rising/falling water levels and all. But after a while it's... obnoxious. It may take a good twenty minutes just to navigate through the Gym battling trainers, and by the time you reach the Leader odds are you'll want to go to the Pokemon Center. Two trips through a long labyrinth of Gym puzzles is more annoying than fun if you ask me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like the gym obstacles, but I feel that some could be made a lot easier, like the Snowpoint City, Viridian City, Mossdeep City, Sootopolis City and Blackthorn City gyms.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
  • I like the obstacles but I really care more about how many trainers are in it for me to level up on. I would rather have a very simple gym with a lot of trainers. (i.e. Wallace's Gym in R/S)

vinylscratchp0n3

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Years
  • I like them, they should be harder like in the 2D Zelda games. Especially like Sootopolis or Snowpoint. Those were great.

Edit: Drat, I was Ninja'd! XD

Last edited:

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Only one I can complain about is Lt. Surge's.
    HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME FIND THOSE STUPID SWITCHES THAT CHANGE EVERY TIME.
    The one I liked the best was Sootopolis. :D

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Lt. Surge >_< how I hate it. It's always the last trash can look and then you pick the second wrong and you have to keep on doing it. I'd perfer a gym with lots of trainers like Erika's gym in R/B (Except without the need of Cut).

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I never liked L.T. Surge's gym nor GSC's Morty's gym. It frustrates me to have to mess up and do the whole thing again. As I do reach the leader, I never forget to press the dreaded SAVE button so I won't have to do it again. >_<

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
    Years
  • I personally like the puzzles >.< Especially the hard ones and I agree with the few people who want more gyms like Candace's or Wallace's. Although, I was quite satisfied with Olivine's just because of how it was setup. It was like "Ah, you! Yeah! You did something great, kid. Go have fun with your gym battle." It felt appropriate to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The only puzzle I really detested at first was Snowpoint's. It kept giving me a headache. :( Otherwise, I think they're a nice challenge. They're not too difficult.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Well it certainly made its way onto the Pokemon rpg traditions list. Lt. Surge's gym makes me want to shoot myself in the head. It isnt easy kids, and having to deal with that gym in 4 generations, 11 games, ugh. Give me a break. The type of gym puzzles that get on my nerves is the ice walkthrough puzzle :[ Im looking at you Wallace, Juan, and Candice.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • My least favorite has to be Wallace's. I know exactly where to go, but its annoying that #1: If I want to fight the trainers on the top, I have to do the other puzzles first, and #2: I usually am playing with a speed button, and its annoying to have to run that slow.

They need to have a Gym with a big room with the gym leader on one side, and like 15 trainers on the other side. Then you could do what you wanted.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Ice and trash cans. The two banes of my Gym experiences in Pokemon. I don't like ice sliding puzzles in any game, and Surge's "puzzle" is more dumb luck than anything else. And I usually fail at "dumb luck" things in videogames, so...

Other than that I don't mind the puzzles too much, as long as it doesn't take a half hour to figure out.

Years
  • If you could walk right up to the leader like in the anime, it wouldn't be much fun. Besides, if that were the case we could not get some practice battles in because there would be no Gym Trainers. So I like the obstacles.

I always hated Lt. Surge's gym puzzle though, very annoying.

Years
  • The first time, they are fun (yes, even Surge was fun the first time).
    The second time, most of them are still fun, some of the more annoying already start getting, well, annoying.
    But after that... KILL THEM WITH FIRE.

Back