• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: [HACK-A-LONG] Beginners competion! #HA3 Practise your Scripting!~join now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Soooo I have a slight problem. I was trying to edit the map and could NOT find the 3rd part for editing task. Like, the mart top with a water background was not there nor a pokecenter top with trees, it was grass. And the light post? It has water background textures and I was like this cannot be right. So, I borrowed one of the previous posts for a reference and noticed his were correct. Is there a guide I am missing or a step that was not taken?

*edit Just realized there were two pages and seen the tutorial lol. Thnx!

Last edited:
Years
Alrighty! I do believe I got the steps done! The third one was kind of a mess because I had NO Idea one could change the background / pallet, therefore, I was actually starting to just completely edit the map around the houses and stuff so it looked nice. xD

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
thanks for vid!i didnt redo the first 2 you said were good already but wouldnt mind if you tell me why my 3,1 map screwed up so bad for no apparent reason. so do i make the team coach? lol http://download1979.mediafire.com/r49xcrhbhabg/2wrxvu5b2hb35b9/HAWEEK1finished2.ips

Ahh lots has happened here o_o. Ignoring the first two maps, which have gone through some odd changes, you're almost there with the tile-editing! However, the tower down the bottom-left still needs some tweaking.~

Alrighty! I do believe I got the steps done! The third one was kind of a mess because I had NO Idea one could change the background / pallet, therefore, I was actually starting to just completely edit the map around the houses and stuff so it looked nice. xD

I'm a bit confused by your patch - it doesn't resemble the HA1 patch at all? It's lacking the correct maps entirely. Are you using a FR1.0 ROM? Did you apply the HA1 patch to the ROM before editing it in A-Map? Hmm.

--------------------------------

#HA2 will begin next weekend - the topic will be mapping. If anyone has ideas for challenges feel free to PM me - I've got lots of ideas down already, but every bit helps :).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2015
TO ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS
be sure that after making your custom pallet blocks to make sure you save pallet to rom or the IPS wont show the changes i oopsed on this a lot only saving in the block editor but not saving changes to rom
ok magic hopefully last time i redid all 3 challenges on this IPS please tell me somethin good lol http://download1498.mediafire.com/oc1z53hwtbsg/6afk7qffdx12dui/HKA+done.ips

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2015

idk what seems diff to you magic? i see same thing i had but i see errors

1 you saved over original poke mart tiles when you edited if you look 3,1 the water is behind that mart to now
2 movement permissions from what i saw i think are right
3 flowers on map 3,1 dont look right in front of the houses they dont have the lighter green path under them
4 you saved over one of you original pokecenter blocks or somethin cause your 3,3 pokecenter has a straight water tile'
5 tower bottom left of 3,3 you forgot to save pallet to rom its showing up glitched
6 roof in 3,3 of orange house by the rocks is wrong need edit block to have the back of it with the rock as a background behind it
7 trees 3,3 look great so does the pokemart and all but that water tile on the pokecenter remember not to over right your original blocks make new ones in the black empty blocks on your pallet.
sorry magic its not my place to tell if right or wrong here going off what you told me and i have seen you tell others xD also i only said anything because for some reason you cant see his or somethin

Years
Okay! Seems as though I messed up somewhere, now that I have a general idea where to go and start, I'm going to start from scratch and try again. ^_^

*Update!* I believe I did it now, lol. I see where you were saying about changing the background on the pallets. I understand now that it changes other towns as well. XD.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Okay! Seems as though I messed up somewhere, now that I have a general idea where to go and start, I'm going to start from scratch and try again. ^_^

*Update!* I believe I did it now, lol. I see where you were saying about changing the background on the pallets. I understand now that it changes other towns as well. XD.

Progress:

You've actually done the last task perfectly but the other two! ;O.

Task 1: Your houses aren't from a 'new' tileset, since they're from T1. Switch up the secondary houses and get some new homes in there!
Task 2: me being picky There is some grass with [1] movement permissions. You'll probably stop it straight away, an easy mistake to make!

Almost there~

id like to join too ^_^

It's open to all! :)

TO ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS
be sure that after making your custom pallet blocks to make sure you save pallet to rom or the IPS wont show the changes i oopsed on this a lot only saving in the block editor but not saving changes to rom
ok magic hopefully last time i redid all 3 challenges on this IPS please tell me somethin good lol http://download1498.mediafire.com/oc1z53hwtbsg/6afk7qffdx12dui/HKA+done.ips

This link doesn't work :<.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2015
Progress:

You've actually done the last task perfectly but the other two! ;O.

Task 1: Your houses aren't from a 'new' tileset, since they're from T1. Switch up the secondary houses and get some new homes in there!
Task 2: me being picky There is some grass with [1] movement permissions. You'll probably stop it straight away, an easy mistake to make!

Almost there~

It's open to all! :)

This link doesn't work :<.
sorry try this one

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
sorry try this one

I'm not sure what to say D:

Your block editing is done well, but your movement permissions are off. Considering they were right in the first patch I'm a bit confused - for some reason you've left the bottom of the trees as [C] rather than [1].

So...

Progress: [COMPLETE?]

I didn't even know that block editing existed before this thread.
View attachment 75033

All good!

Emblems are on their way~

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2015
I'm not sure what to say D:

Your block editing is done well, but your movement permissions are off. Considering they were right in the first patch I'm a bit confused - for some reason you've left the bottom of the trees as [C] rather than [1].

So...

All good!

Emblems are on their way~
just missed it was tired

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
#HA2: Mapping
DATE 17/05/15 - DATE 31/05/15 - NEXT TIME: Scripting with XSE

You will need: Advance Map (1.92 or 1.95), a Fire Red ROM and the #HA2 IPS PATCH.
This week, I have prepared three task maps for you to work with. Each one is properly labelled, you can find them overwriting the first few towns, in map bank 3.

TASK 1: Using the map 'base' provided, fill the map with decoration tiles and NPCs (Map 3.1).
TASK 2: Complete the town map, using the starting corner as a base, to fill the blank space. NPCs/Events not needed. (Map 3.2).
TASK 3: Design an ocean map around the existing person events. You may change their appearance and movement type but you may not move or delete them. (Map 3.3).

This week's #HA is a bit more complicated - in order to be awarded a trophy for your efforts you should:
  • Make sure your tiles are used correctly,
  • Avoid tiling errors,
  • Follow the above instructions carefully.
Remember you can VM or PM me if you need a few pointers!

In order to have your maps checked, either upload a screenshot or upload an IPS patch for me to look at :).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
For Task 3, do we need to give the person events scripts?

Do we need to script events in the first task? Also when you meant decoration do you mean grassand stuff?

Nope no scripts necessary! (That'll be the next HA ;)!

And yes. Decoration could be smaller trees, bushes, flowers, grass, signposts, fences, etc. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Alright, here's my work from this morning :)

Hello again JaDe! :D Your first map looks good so far - I would recommend adding some paths, to give the map some direction! I'd also recommend that your put your flowers outside of the long grass, perhaps in a more peaceful area of the map.

As to your other two maps, I'm sorry to be a pain but:

HA2 NEW PATCH (also changed in first post)
  • Removed header and border for Tasks 2 and 3.
  • Connected maps together.

This means that the you can check borders. If you load up the ROM in VBA you'll now start in the Task 2 map - go up to find the Task 1 map and down to find Task 3. This way you can see how they look up close!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back