• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Handicap parking spots

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
  • Sometimes you can't tell people have a handicap. My mom has a handicap placard and if you look at her. She doesn't look disabled. But she has to go to the doctors constantly because she had to have open heart surgery and she can't walk long distances for a long period of time. So just because someone looks like they don't need it. They might really.

Reactions: GFA

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I remember I broke my leg and for the first few days, I had to go in the wheelchair. Well my grandmother and aunt came to help my parents out along with myself. We didn't have any food in the house, so we all decided to hop in the car and drive to the mall.

Long story short, it took us atleast twenty minutes to find an unused handicap parking spot. The guy moved his car because he 'felt bad about not being handicap'. I just can't see how people can't walk for one minute.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • My friend's mom has a handicap permit because her eyes wiggle. I can understand how that's a problem on the road, but getting from the car to the store? No.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • CUTENESSattack!! said:
    Have you ever noticed someone who isn't handicapped?

Yes, I noticed that I wasn't handicapped. :D

But yeah, I do notice that there are a few people who just use/abuse the handicapped spots. At school, one guy actually has a handicap and he parks in normal spots and leaves the handicapped ones for people who really need them. But my grandpa has one and he's not entirely disabled. He can walk and all that, so I think he just likes having it to park and walk easier. Which is fine, cause he's getting older and it is harder for old people to walk. D: He's also got some heart trouble, but he's had the handicapped sticker for at last 10-15 years. XD

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Sometimes you can't tell people have a handicap. My mom has a handicap placard and if you look at her. She doesn't look disabled. But she has to go to the doctors constantly because she had to have open heart surgery and she can't walk long distances for a long period of time. So just because someone looks like they don't need it. They might really.

I can understand that actually but like I said, it's something you can't really see. I just think that those that have no badge or liscence plates should be willing to give up their spot for one who really might need it.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
  • Kimi, I know you see yourself as an expert on disabilities, but I don't think you have any right to judge who's disabled and who's not. Sure, if they're parking in those spots with nothing on their car saying they're disabled, then that's wrong. But for you to say something like this:

Have you ever noticed someone who isn't handicapped? I mean lately it seems like just about everyone has one of those insignias in their window. It makes me wonder what they define as "physically" handicapped anymore.

Kind of makes mad. Would you like someone to look at you and go "my, you don't look like you have a moderate to mild autism." People don't always show their disabilities. If the government issued them one, they have a reason for having it. :|

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Hmm... that's odd. In Richmond, whenever, I go to Wal Mart or Shortpump, the handicap spaces are practically deserted.

I once stopped my dad from parking in one because of the face that at that moment, only the handicap spaces were empty.

Years
  • I honestly haven't seen people park in handicap spots without the tag much where I live. Maybe it's because we're looking for handicap spots ourselves.

My Dad has a Handicap plate because he suffers from pulmonary hypertension, the result from a mild heart attack 14 years ago. So, he can't walk very far due to his being short on breath and carries around an oxygen tank to help him breathe. That and the little pack of medicine to thin out his blood so it can flow through his heart.

My Mom's a bit better, unless you consider having diabetes and developing cataracts as a bit better than my Dad.

Keahi

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • One time I was riding to this club with my mom and she parked in a handicap spot and when the police came, she told me that I was handicap so she wouldn't go to jail.

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
  • One time I was riding to this club with my mom and she parked in a handicap spot and when the police came, she told me that I was handicap so she wouldn't go to jail.
    You don't go to jail for parking in a handicap spot, you get a ticket. -_-

And, my thoughts are summed up with whoever said:

People don't always show their disabilities. If the government issued them one, they have a reason for having it. :|

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    I have a question:
    Where exactly are you if the regular parking spots and the handicap ones are five miles away? I want to avoid that place.

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • Let me reiterate my argument:

Being morbidly obese doesn't deserve a handicapped parking spot.

Also, the obese that have heart attacks. Even if they had a preexisting heart condition, they're the ones who aggravated it and made them have a heart attack.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
  • I see it quite a lot here in the UK. There's a supermarket near where I live, and I sat in the car waiting for my husband to get something quickly, and a woman ran up to her car in high stiletto heels, unlocked it and drove away - she was parked in a disabled space, and my husband told me that she'd actually shouted at the attendant that he'd better hurry up because she was parked in a disabled space (she actually said something much worse, but I wont sink to her level). It makes me sad, because people who really need the spaces, like my grandmother who has none of her own joints basically, are not allowed to park where they need to.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen yesterday
    My mom is physically disabled, so until I moved out I'd hear a lot from her about people without handicap tags taking handicap spaces, as well as obese people breaking all the electric carts at the grocery stores.

Now that I've been off on my own for so long, and don't currently know any physically disabled drivers, I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing anymore, but I will say that I agree with Korinku's point about the obesity issue, and that it's a shame that people without any sort of disability take the parking spaces for convenience, especially the kind Signomi mentioned in her post.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Like I said, it makes me wonder what is defined as being physical for a disability anymore. D:

It varies from state to state.

I believe the saying here in Texas is that if you take the time to fill out the form for disability, you get the parking permit.

Also, most places I've lived, vans are allowed to park in handicap spots for some inexplicable reason. Handicapped or not.

I know Arizona had Baby parking spaces at the mall, as the heat outside was very bad for children (though I was one in the mindset that they should have just left the kid at home if it was 120 degrees outside).

Back