• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Harder than usual?

Are Pokemon Black and White harder than the other games?

• It IS Harder.

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • It is easier.

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • It's about the same.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I NEED MOAR.

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I have a lot of things to do: to read interesting novels, study science, play other games and watch TV. I use the Rare Candies and TM cheat only if my PKMN are either weak in terms of moves or underlevelled. If not, I won't use cheats.

So? I do those too (barring the cheats obviously). Losing 5 or so battles over the course of the game is definitely preferable to cheating in my opinion.
    As for you saying you only use the cheats if they are underlevelled etc, I haven't actually been underlevelled so far. Most of my losses have been due to either not being prepared or simply short cutting to the Pokémon centre.

Years
  • I've just got my 8th badge and I think it's been the easiest set of gyms in the series, I'm pretty disappointed. Maybe it's because the gym leaders only had three pokemon, of which were pretty one dimensional, and they weren't as over-leveled as in previous games.

I'm on Victory Road now and am just hoping the Pokemon League isn't as easy.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Post game is definitely something different altogether. If mostly just because of the massive level difference.

My team of six barely survived a double battle against two pokemon. Only my Cofagrigus was left still standing.

Years
  • I found it easier, tbh. Through the first 6 gyms, I've flattened them all with a combo of Scraggy/Serperior/Gigalith. Now, after the E4, I might need to grind a little, but for now I'm a bit over leveled.

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
  • Easy, easy. For the beginning, just buy 5-6 Potions and use the moves that reduces stats.
    I had an hard time at the end, when I was going on Ghetsis. He defeated me, and I took on him again, successfully. But that's really it.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i find it about the same. but that might be because i over train my pokemon but i havent noticed any differences in difficulty

nm legend

Years
  • wel i cant say anything yet i just got to the daycare area (route 3 i think lol).....but one of my lil bros says it was very easy as all he did was train and stuff

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I found the beginning much more difficult than other games, mainly because the starter Pokemon had STAB on the new, more powerful Tackle. It just meant a few extra trips to the Pokecentre, although it could make Nuzlockeing a bit awkward.

Since then though I've found it really easy. I've got 7 Badges so far, and my Pokemon have been overlevelled since... the 3rd Gym, I think. I've not even been over-grinding, just making sure my lead Pokemon has the Lucky Egg. I've even switched team members a few times, so some of my Pokemon have had to play catch up after I "wasted" some trainers on Pokemon that were no longer on my team. It's clear there's enough EXP available from trainers to keep a full team of 6 at competitive - even too high - levels.

The thing I've noticed though is the hax. It seems a lot worse on this game; literally every time I get Body Slammed, Ice Beamed, Hypnotised or whatever, I end up with a status problem. Really annoying. I might just be unlucky though.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • So? I do those too (barring the cheats obviously). Losing 5 or so battles over the course of the game is definitely preferable to cheating in my opinion.
    As for you saying you only use the cheats if they are underlevelled etc, I haven't actually been underlevelled so far. Most of my losses have been due to either not being prepared or simply short cutting to the Pokémon centre.

Well, I have 5 PKMN by the 3rd Gym, and they are completely underlevelled.
    Maybe it's because I don't have a Lucky Egg in my inventory, and I don't
    have enough time to grind my PKMN, so I "Rare Candied" them instead.

By the 4th Gym, my PKMN are all Lv. 25 and they were strong enough to beat Elesa
    thanks to the Rare Candies.

Also, if you said that your losses are due to not being prepared,
    then I bet you'll lose a lot of times in Wi-Fi battles.

The thing I've noticed though is the hax. It seems a lot worse on this game; literally every time I get Body Slammed, Ice Beamed, Hypnotised or whatever, I end up with a status problem. Really annoying. I might just be unlucky though.

That's just because you're unlucky.
    My friend, Issac, was unlucky too.
    When he was Ice Beamed by a Glalie, his Typhlosion
    has been frozen for 5 times in a row! I bet that this
    is even more unlucky than your experiences.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • The reason on why I'm doing this is because it's basically impossible for me to progress through the game without these cheats.

And you're calling him weak? lolhard lrn2play brah

It's simple to take one hour to grind off of Audinos and reach the level you need for a team of six. No need for cheats. Really. It's already a given. Grinding's a joke in Black/White.

I'm sure your life is so~ busy. If it is, you should stop wasting your time cheating in games, and go back to reading those "interesting" books of yours.

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
    Years
  • It's really not too hard, in my opinion. The gym leaders have definitely upped their game, though. Clay was very difficult for me to beat with a party full of level 28-30s... The gym leaders love using hyper potions- way more than they used to. The Unovian gyms leaders are a lot more difficult than any other regions' leaders. I haven't thoroughly played through, but I'm at gym 6. I took yesterday off and didn't play at all. (will power!) Many people were finding the second gym tough, but I thought it was pretty easy. Other than the gyms, I think Black & White are relatively easy. I mean, the trainers are definitely tougher than what we're used to. As far as navigation and exploring goes, I think the environment and the new terrains and cities are pretty "user-friendly," if I may say so.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
  • Although I will admit I'm not very far in the game yet (in and around Route 4) I am finding the game more challenging atm. I think maybe some of the difficulty might come in being unfamiliar with the new Pokemon (which surprisingly enough did not hinder me so much in D/P/PL). Lenora was difficult, but that was mostly because I was under leveled.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I grind a lot, so no, not really. I don't even think i've blacked out yet. Although, on my first playthrough, I restarted because my Pokemon had Trubbish natures (XD) and kept fainting. So meh, although Ghetsis was a pain and the giant leap in levels are ebating the game is annoying. >.<

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I've gone as far as the 8th gym / walking through Victory Road and I think it's pretty easy tbh. The skill level of NPC's seems like it rose, due to them using tactics such as supersonic etc whereas on other games they just spam offensive moves and I normally kill them with my over-grinded Pokemon. This time I still have over-grinded Pokemon, so I can easily beat most, but as I said, it's only hard with the trainers that use strategy. D;

Oh and as someone mentioned, strategically using healing items with a few trainers is shocking - even Cheren using Sitrus berries. I swear NPCs in past games weren't that creative. :(

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
  • Well I'll be getting the actual game today but based on the little bit I've played on DesMume I say the AI has definitely received a boost since 4th generation. Plus, this generation does not have a lot of Pushover Pokemon(like castform) so that increases the difficulty as well.

Back