• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Harder than usual?

Are Pokemon Black and White harder than the other games?

• It IS Harder.

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • It is easier.

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • It's about the same.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I NEED MOAR.

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters

Shattered_Soul

Just Because :)
Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    What I find hard is how quickly the levels advance, and are very annoying to keep up with. Other than that, black and white are the same difficulty as ruby and saphire in my oppinion.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Well, I was surprised when I saw the levels of the trainers AFTER the Elite Four, they were like 15-20 Levels higher and I was something like 10 levels Lower :(

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • I like the pace of the game. If you don't skip any trainer battle and took time to train your pokemon will be on pace along with the gym leaders. I'm only in the 6th gym and some of my pokemon are getting creamed by the wild pokemon D:

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • No, the game isn't hard at all, saying I beated it in just 23 hours...
    Although the levels after the elite 4 was too overleveld.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    They're back to their roots, easier than the gen III and Gen IV games (around the same as HG/SS) the games just got easier over the years.

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
    Years
  • I find it quite harder as well but that could be because i don't know the new pokedex so I don't know who would be good end game pokes to have. :)

What has other people found to be a good team?

cookie_lovr

Deh Clumsy Altruistic Activist
    Years
  • For me it isn't harder, but it is much longer in gameplay, as there a lot of available legendaries for capture, as well as many secrets and dailies to enhance the story as well.

And I love the new experience system! I don't feel that disappointed when I have to train low levels for evolution, etc.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    The difficulty level is not much different than other games, but I can admit that B/W is slightly more difficult than the predecessors, though the only real hard part was the 2nd gym due to my lack of fighting type pokemon.

And I was disappointed when I saw Reshiram's catch rate, though it makes sense since you are forced to catch it.

I have yet to capture Tornadus and some other legendaries.

And also, the Elite Four are now my regular source of EXP.

I can also say that the plot was far deeper than the previous pokemon games, and that battles were far more abundant, but the routes altogether were too short for my liking. Victory Road was also excessively short, which was a small disappointment.

Overall, though, it was one of the better pokemon games, and it was slightly difficult, though because of my abundance of free time, I blew right through it.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    He should give in to cheats if he knows that he would lose a lot of times. I use cheats because I don't have enough to buff up my PKMN or finding TMs. The reason to this is because I still have a lot of things to do in my life.

So should I give in to steroids because I'm less athletically gifted than my classmates? No thanks. I'd rather give it my all and actually try to play my game the way I want to rather than resort to doing something that will give you results you won't enjoy in the end. If you don't feel like you don't have enough time to play Pokemon, you have two options in my mind: find time, or don't play it. Usually, it's not that hard to find time, even if it's only half an hour a day... :/

On topic, I've been playing this game with a couple other people and I think the real difference is whether or not you hit all the trainers. I've usually avidly avoided every trainer I could, but this time around I decided I was going to take everything in the games in stride, so I went after all of them instead. I've got about the same playtime as the other guys and I'm actually strides ahead of all of them because they're stuck leveling their weaker Pokemon against low-leveled wild Pokemon while I'm cruising forward. I think it's always been this way, but I've never noticed it was before. :(

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Its not really that hard. I mean, playing it together with Emerald, I'd say its even easier.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Ehh, its much more of a challenge than Gen IV. The AI are a tad smarter, and the EXP system has been reworked. Those really contribute to the difficulty. But a little tedious grinding will solve your problems! ;D

..but the aftergame is just a pain with them level 60's.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I felt that NPC's levels grew quickly, which wasn't a problem to me and my grinding, except I had to grind more. They actually have some skill now, making them a challenge.

Saikusu

Cheren is the Coolest Asian.
    Years
  • Yeah i would have to think it is harder, though i was using a kind of weak team so lot's of Audino grinding. Was using Pokemon noone uses... like the trashbag pokemon even though i hate how it look's and emonga and stuff

Last edited:

Cookiez

The Shining Light
    Years
  • I honestly thought that White was conciderably harder. I mean just on my first time to fight N, I had to level grind a LOT! Just because he was at level 7 and my starter was still only lv 5. and the fact that the post chapters, all the pokemon (Wild or Trainer) were all above lv 50! that made it really hard to train without an exp share.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years

• And you're calling him weak? lolhard lrn2play brah

It's simple to take one hour to grind off of Audinos and reach the level you need for a team of six. No need for cheats. Really. It's already a given. Grinding's a joke in Black/White.

I'm sure your life is so~ busy. If it is, you should stop wasting your time cheating in games, and go back to reading those "interesting" books of yours.

I'm only calling him weak because by that time, he should have loads of Hyper Potions in
    his inventory (With the money gained from battling trainers). So, if I use
    a fair respective to look at this incident, I would say he is weak, because
    Hyper Potions should be able to make you withstand the attacks made
    by the other trainers' PKMN.
    Or maybe I was wrong, he wasn't weak, but lacking strategy to able
    to beat trainers. Well, people with weak strategy ain't weak, but just not
    strong enough. If that's the case, I would apologize to the person who I've
    said "weak" to.

By the way, one hour on grinding?! Seriously, I don't have time for that.
    I'm an educated person, and I only play video games for fun. I'm not a game addict like you.
    "Life is more than playing video games..." is what my mom told me.

So should I give in to steroids because I'm less athletically gifted than my classmates? No thanks. I'd rather give it my all and actually try to play my game the way I want to rather than resort to doing something that will give you results you won't enjoy in the end. If you don't feel like you don't have enough time to play Pokemon, you have two options in my mind: find time, or don't play it. Usually, it's not that hard to find time, even if it's only half an hour a day... :/

Yes, if I'm really less athletically gifted than my friends, I would give in to steroids.
    Really, I don't have time to grind my PKMN. They need to be strong
    enough to be able to whip another trainers' asses. They are always underlevelled,
    and I don't know why.

Last edited:

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • This time around, I actually have to sit around for Audino for the much-needed experience! This is what happens when the level progression is made much more unforgiving. At least there's experience adjustment.

This. Not to mention the games are like, twice as long as previous generations. I've logged 20+ hours and I only have 6 badges.

could just be me sucking at pokemon but w/e

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • This. Not to mention the games are like, twice as long as previous generations. I've logged 20+ hours and I only have 6 badges.

could just be me sucking at pokemon but w/e

I played for 14 hours and I'm now at the Elite Four.
    I think it's basically because I battled every Trainer I see
    and I never grind my PKMN when they are underlevelled.
    Instead, I "Rare Candied" my PKMN to make sure that
    they are strong enough to beat up the trainers.

For example, if the Elite Four had Lv. 48 - 50 PKMN, I'll "Rare Candy"
    my PKMN until they are Lv. 50. I tend to have my Play Time shorter
    than most people because I'm trying to save my time doing other stuff,
    other than playing video games.

bilzandpap

Who DOESN'T love Conkeldurr???
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    I like the new exp system, where the higher level you are the less exp you get and the more exp you need to grow. I found the game quite easy actually.

Hyrulian_Hero

Pocket Monster Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    I think one of the reasons why it's a bit more challenging is because you have three "Rivals" to deal with. Bianca, Cheren and N. they usually stop you and ask for a battle (Cheren mostly because he practically challenges you everytime you earn a badge) and since "Rivals" are known to be more of a challenge than your usual run-of-the-mill trainers you have to fight them more often because you have 3 to worry about.

Back