• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest Bosses Ever

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    I was thinking about this today. A lot of times, RPGs will have some kind of crazy ass superboss that is totally ridiculous and requires mad patience or grinding to be able to beat. I like to play games a lot and do as much as I can, but man a lot of times I encounter these crazy bosses and just say fuck that shit.

FF7
    Spoiler:

FFX
    Spoiler:

FFXIII: Lightning Returns
    Spoiler:

Kingdom Hearts 1
    Spoiler:

It'd be cool to be like "yeah i killed the big bad bosses" but grinding is so boring. Give me bosses like the Souls series/Bloodborne where I can kill them based on my own skill regardless of my character stats. (Sure, skill is involved in the ones I mentioned but character stats play such a huge part)

As a side note, not boss-related but annoying things that have cool rewards at the end really turn me off too. CAPTURE 100 CHOCOBOS AND CAPTURE EVERY MONSTER IN THE GAME 3 TIMES TO GET THING THAT GIVES YOUR CHARACTER SUPER STRENGTH like yeah.....how about no?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Robotnik is hard to imagine as a threat these days, but in Sonic 2 he was no pushover. The final boss, a massive mech designed to resemble the mad genius himself is your last challenge. In many Sonic games, the final boss amounts to a race against time as super Sonic. Not this game! In Sonic 2 you have to fight this mech with exactly 0 rings, after another boss fight with 0 rings, and 0 checkpoints. I don't know how many times I played this game just to attempt to beat this boss. It wasn't until nearly 10 years after I got the game that I finally managed to beat it!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It'd be cool to be like "yeah i killed the big bad bosses" but grinding is so boring. Give me bosses like the Souls series/Bloodborne where I can kill them based on my own skill regardless of my character stats. (Sure, skill is involved in the ones I mentioned but character stats play such a huge part)
    You're speaking my language. It's why, conceptually, I love Action RPGs so much (I say "conceptually" because...well...it's not exactly a staple concept of the genre and isn't present in many of its games). It's less dependent on how good your character is and more dependent on how good you are.

I've always liked the idea of a game where, even if a boss is so strong where it would only take a single hit to kill you and to it your weapon might as well be a toothpick, if you have enough mastery of the game itself, you can still take it down. It represents choice and weighs ones confidence and skills. As you said, the Souls games and Bloodborne are good examples of this. Monster Hunter's the same, and Dragon's Dogma is as well, to some effect. I honestly wish there were more games like that, because there's a lot of fun to be had in taking on a boss that you thought impossible only to come out victorious through pure perseverance, strategy, and skill rather than hours of grinding.

Reactions: Hi!

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    You're speaking my language. It's why, conceptually, I love Action RPGs so much (I say "conceptually" because...well...it's not exactly a staple concept of the genre and isn't present in many of its games). It's less dependent on how good your character is and more dependent on how good you are.

I've always liked the idea of a game where, even if a boss is so strong where it would only take a single hit to kill you and to it your weapon might as well be a toothpick, if you have enough mastery of the game itself, you can still take it down. It represents choice and weighs ones confidence and skills. As you said, the Souls games and Bloodborne are good examples of this. Monster Hunter's the same, and Dragon's Dogma is as well, to some effect. I honestly wish there were more games like that, because there's a lot of fun to be had in taking on a boss that you thought impossible only to come out victorious through pure perseverance, strategy, and skill rather than hours of grinding.

Yessss I agree so hard. Dragon's Dogma is sooooooo good. Stumbling upon a Griffon or something when you're relatively low levelled and managing to take it down by climbing on it and flying around in the sky on it's back while you stab it in a crazy intense encounter that you, in most circumstances SHOULDN'T have won, is insanely satisfying.

And level 1 runs of Dark Souls and Bloodborne are so cool. I promise to myself I will finish one of those someday. Maybe Bloodborne...
    I just find it really cool that you're fairly unrestricted with what you do in those kinds of games as long as you master the mechanics. Incredibly rewarding and satisfying. I can master the mechanics of a Final Fantasy game but that doesn't mean I will punch too far above my weight if my character is a low level. I will say that Lightning Returns did a bit better in that regard, with its just-guards and dodge rolls. But still. Nothing quite like dying to final Vergil in DMC3 a bunch and progressively getting better and better until you beat him. Your character has not gotten any better, it's just that the PLAYER has gotten better. So good.

Years
  • I suppose one of the toughest (non-bonus) bosses I encountered was the Riku-Ansem fight in Hollow Bastion. Now, it is not that hard but it certainly can be frustrating as you can't skip the preceding cutscene at all. At least in the original version...

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • I suppose one of the toughest (non-bonus) bosses I encountered was the Riku-Ansem fight in Hollow Bastion. Now, it is not that hard but it certainly can be frustrating as you can't skip the preceding cutscene at all. At least in the original version...

Oh yeah. Everyone memorized that theme, so much. In Final Mix (Ps2) you could skip it if you died once. Lol

Years
  • Shao Kahn in mortal kombat hard to defeat. He's different than any of the other characters you fought against, you can't do a few tricks you usually do.

Are you talking about MK9? Cause you fight him twice in that one.
    In the first one, you have to play as Liu Kang, but Shao Kahn's not so bad here. It's in the SECOND fight where you play as Raiden that shit gets real. Lemme spell it out for you: SO MANY GODDAMN COMBO BREAKERS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    Anyone here who's played Spyro the Dragon 3 should know how frustrating the second Boss Spike is, he will fuck you up and badly and I'm not taking about he's one of those bosses that are hard when you're kid he gives me shit ten years later, the first Buzz is a pushover and then we get this guy. The fight's simple just get the Power balls that Sgt bird is dropping on the field before Spike does and use them on him all while dodging his normal attacks and super powered attacks if he gets the balls and I swear it is easier said then done for his size Spike is fast and he goes all out on you it's like you're Spyro and you're friend who's better at the game and wants ruin your life is playing as Spike, even my sister who back then was a way better gamer then me had trouble beating him. To this day I have never not gotten a game over while fighting him.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Hardest Bosses Ever

This guy always fucks me over, no matter what run I'm doing unless it's a ridiculously cheesy one like GShield of Artorias + Spear tank build. Those dodges are hard to master, and the spells he casts are a right pain in the ass.

Years
  • Many many years ago when I ecountered Diablo in Diablo II Lord of Destruction for the first time I was shitting out my spine, because he was so durable and hard to hit. I was playing Summoner Necromancer back then and he practically was one shotting my skeletons and mercenary. I had to get back to town lots of times and sometimes he was putting his bone prison on portal so I can't go back. He didn't leave any interesting loot sadly. After a while, when I started reading guides and playing more online, this guy became one of the easiest haha.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Hardest Bosses Ever

This guy always fucks me over, no matter what run I'm doing unless it's a ridiculously cheesy one like GShield of Artorias + Spear tank build. Those dodges are hard to master, and the spells he casts are a right pain in the ass.

Wouldn't say hardest boss ever, but Manus is a god damn monster.

Years
  • There's like a total of 5 people that actually beat him

Lucifer in Nocturne is a good one.

Nocturne was just generally unforgiving, haha.

But Demi-Fiend in DDS was just OD.

Also I'd like to give a shout out to Yiazmat in FFXII, not having Break Damage Limits in that game made it dumb.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Sephiroth from KH 1. In KH 2 he was a pushover if you were leveled up enough and didn't get too excited about knocking off a couple of bars. But in KH 1... I still haven't beaten him. So bad. Xion from 358/2. Solely because you have to fight her in the phases and I'm terrible at item/magic consumption so it's just a pain in the butt. I've only lost to her a few times, usually in her 2nd form due to lack of knowing what's actually going on and then once or twice in her final form simply because not enough healing things.

Belias from FF War of the Lions is also a pain. I just hate using any healing jobs and training other jobs just takes so long. Being level 37 and having all of the good stuff from about half of the fighting jobs should be plenty. So upsetting. Still stuck on this guy unfortunately.

Years
  • Basically this. There really and truly is no harder boss(in a properly programmed game, not like a glitchy atari game or something), it its straight up undebateably the hardest. I love how he literally just one hit kills you for trying to PREPARE to fight him with elemental resistances and stuff lol. Just ridiculous.

The SMT bosses in general practically are the basis for this thread lol.

With that said, I thought the Ethereal Queen in Star Ocean 3 was pretty dang hard. She kept you on your toes for the entiriety of the lengthy battle, and if you made one wrong move you were done for. I was pretty young at the time I faced her though, I'm sure she'd be easier now.

Dude, you try that on ANY SMT boss and they're like "nah", but Demi-Fiend is just straight savage.

"So you don't resist? Good. Now I won't instantly kill you. Except when you get me down to a threshold where I start using more of my moves, and if you don't do a certain action for your party/have ONE PARTICULAR SKILL, I wipe you anyway."

Like I think the closest is Elizabeth in P3, and that's only because you need Armageddeon to win that fight.

And dude if you think Etheral Queen is bad, booooy you ain't seen Freya...

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • Voracidious from Borderlands 2. I swear to god it is near impossible to kill him. I have done it twice legitimately. I have tried at least 50 times. He has a HUGE shield, AND spawns TONS of little things to kill, along with that Chief guy that you have to kill before you can even damage him! He was built to be the hardest boss in Borderlands 2, and by damn he lives up to it.
    Now there's always Dexidious who is literally impossible to kill due to a miscalculation by Gearbox, rather than him just being hard as hell to beat. Although he his insanely hard to kill anyways.

Years
  • Ah yeah, I actually meant Freya. I got them confused because in Star Ocean 4 the ethereal queen is the final boss instead of Freya(and like 40 times easier than the counterpart in 3 might I add). I'm hoping that 5 will bring back both the queen and freya and put their difficulty slightly less than 3, just so it's challenging but without tedious amounts of work.

There's apparently a certain strategy that involves bodying Freya like a ragdoll, but I don't feel like digging down in YT's databanks to find it.

Also, any High Ranked AC on Armored Core: for Answer is a bag of disgusting to deal with. Smdh that game is just hard in general after a certain point.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Ballos from Cave Story, aka True Final Boss.

I did the things I needed to do: I saved Curly, got the bond, went through your hell, and defeated the Iron Press, without my Life Pot. I come in and you don't offer me health. Nonononononononon... you proceed to kick my ass and laugh at me and then when your flying angels come to kill me, you laugh as I have to go through hell again. Fuck you Ballos. I hate you.

Sincerely,

slashtiki.

Back