• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest Choice?

What was the hardest set of starters to choose from?

• RBYG Kanto starters

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • GSC Johto starters

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • RSE Hoenn starters

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • FRLG Kanto starters

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • DPPt Sinnoh starters

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • HGSS Johto starters

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • BW Isshu/Unova starters

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Its been awhile since I last made a thread, so anyways out of all the sets of main games, which set did you find the hardest to choose your starter, also what starter did you choose?

For example the RBYG, GSC, HGSS, and FRLG starters sets were not that difficult for me to choose my starter from. On the other hand in RSE and DPPt I had a hard time picking who my starter should be. RSE I had a REALLY difficult time picking.

Also the reason why I have GSC/HGSS and RBYG/FRLG on the poll is because people change up due to the improvements of the pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    DPPt is always easy because I hate them all and usually ditch my starter no matter what. v_v I'm going to be honest and say I had a hard choice with Isshu starters, mainly because they're all cute. But then I remembered their final evos and it was easy. lol None of them are hard to choose for me though, because I always end up getting every version from the generation. So if I choose one thing, I know I'll get to use the others cause I'll have the other versions at my disposal.

Years
    The hardest choice so far was definitely the Sinnoh starters. Ugh, I honestly hate all of them. >< The first starter I chose in that generation was Piplup... Bleh, the 4th generation starters really aren't so appealing, IMO.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2010
    GBYG/FRLF/HGSS/GSC are all easy because I love fire types which makes DPPt easy too, but also because, IMO, Infernape is the only useful one. In RSE, I love them all since they're all so...different. I still haven't decided which starter to use for BW.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    In my opinion, the hardest choice was the Hoenn starters. I liked all of them, and their final evolutions too.

Torchic, Combusken, and Blaziken are my favorite Hoenn starter Pokemon. Not only was I interested in the unique Fire/Fighting combo back then, but one must admit that it's a very decent Pokemon. I like how it has a good base speed and excellent base attack/spt. attack stats. Brick Break/Sword Dance/Flamethrower/Sky Uppercut

Treecko, Grovyle, and Sceptile are my next choice. They're the reason why it's so hard to choose a starter. I love how its fast and has a good base spt. attack stat. This means that I could strike first and strongly too. I guess the anime made me love Sceptile more. I just love how it's always chewing on that twig:) Leaf Blade/Dragonbreath/Detect/Hidden Power

Eh.... I don't have much love for the Mudkip line.

Last edited:

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Oddly enough I had a bigger problem with the HG/SS starters. I wanted to play the game a bit differently from the originals, but I always, always chose Chikorita. It was like a rule. With much arguing with myself and consideration, I chose Chikorita yet again. XD

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I actually find myself juggling between starters in HGSS Johto and BW Unova. Can't really stay with one, huh? I keep finding myself switching betweeen Cyndaquil/Totodile and Snivy/Oshawott.

DPPt starters are the easiest, though. Turtwig all the way!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I had trouble with picking my Sinnoh starter because I found them equally good, despite their flaws. My Unova teams are still a work in progress and I'm having a hard time picking starters to base my teams around.

Years
    I've always had the hardest time picking starters in Johto games (G/S/C/HG/SS) because I like Typhlosion and Feraligatr about the same. It usually just depends on if I'd rather start with a Fire or a Water type for those games.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    Hardest choice is usually Hoenn and Sinnoh I like all the starters here equally and it is really difficult for me to choose.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    So far, I have had little difficulty in choosing a starter. There's always one that sticks out as being more suited for me than the others.

However, so far I think all three of the fifth gen starters are ugly, so if I ever play those games, that will be the hardest decision by far.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    The hardest for me was Hoenn as I liked all three of the starters. But hey when you have a GB SP and a GBA with a link cable what does it matter I can have all three. On my first run I finally ended up choosing Torchic. Second most difficult was Kanto I still have a hard time choosing between Charmander and Squirtle.

Years
    3rd and 4th gen starters dont really do it for me. I dont like them very much so its usually me sitting their trying to figure out which ones I hate the least, which varies on my mood usually

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I started with Emerald and chose Torchic because it was cutest, and ended up loving it so much that I choose it ever time.
    I chose Piplup in Pearl and Platinum because I hated all of them and figured I'd go with a reliable type.
    The only one I had trouble with was HG. I have always had issues choosing between Cyndaquil and Chikorita... ended up with Cyndaquil though.

Back