• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • I've finished the game and I conclude that both Lenora and Elesa were nightmares. But especially Elesa because I leveled my Pokemon higher for both of them, but Elesa still proved trouble whereas I beat Lenora straight away after they were slightly leveled up. Those Emolga were nightmare and also the Zebstrika. Those two are part of my most hated Pokemon in Unova.

Years
  • Its tied with lenora and elesa for me, mainly cause that watchhog retaliateing my party away on the former (which I taught 1/2 my party afterwords) and elesa being super effecive against 2 of my 3 main pokemon left it up to Mr. Fluffy alot, hounder, and had to let hm slaves/party fillins die and use retaliate with stab.

How is Lenora and Elesa a challenge? In my first playthrough, I had no trouble whatsoever sweeping her team with a Timburr.

Elesa, I had a Drillbur with Rock Slide.

I think you answered your own question, some people only like to train a few *special* pokemon and dont go catch Super effectives.

Note: this was not ment to be taken in a bad way and i know it sounds like it, sorry.

Last edited:

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    1st game: Burgh was REALLY annoying. I had to go catch a fire type and train it up it beat him.

2nd game: Not really anyone, but Lenora was hard, as I under-trained my Pignite (He was fighting, so I had an advantage there)

But on both games, Lenora was a good challenge, so I say her o.e
    I think I underestimate normal types...

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    Lenora was honestly the only gym leader that I had to attempt more than once. Most of them were pretty easy in my opinion.

Neeni

Stage On!
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2013
    1st team.. My Osha was useless + didn't want to train that little fire monkeyh
    the rest were all too easy cuz I simply trained the right pokes, Lenora was nothing to mention and Elesa was down by my Boldore easily!~

Years
  • Cress. Because I was bent on beating the game with the team I planned somewhat in advance (rather, I didn't want to use the beginner Pokemon), his Panpour was a major pain. I had to use the giveaway Pansage to deal with it and even then I almost lost. It was horrifying.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    And another vote for Lenora. She was difficult for me a few times because I didn't want to capture a Fighting Pokemon just to defeat her. So when I didn't have Pokemon that could super effectively strike down her Pokemon, the battles against her came rather close to defeat unless I got lucky.

Once I was able to capture more of the Pokemon I wanted to train, or use the ones I traded over, I found the rest of the Gyms disappointingly easy.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • OMG LENORA THAT B--
    Her Watchog's Retaliate was horrible. I had an awesome Sawk and it destroyed all Normal-types, then that Watchog came out with Retaliate and destroyed Sawk. And for some reason, it managed to destroy my Pignite as well. >.> I think I tried to defeat her a number of times before I managed to defeat her. It wasn't just her, though. I had a tough time with all the gym leaders though. These guys were a tough bunch. XD;

Spirit Albarn♫

death scythe★
    Years
  • tbh i didnt really find any difficult, iris was annoying though
    - i used resources; e.g with lenora i caught a fighting type n used the i got my team in order and the rest was easy peasy.

LouBeatYou

Go Kibago, Go!
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2012
    I didn't have trouble with any of them, It never took more than one try. I guess Iris though, her Haxorus was sort of challenging.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Drayden. He actually lowered one of my Pokemon's HP to half.

The other Gym Leaders were all taken out with OHKO's. Overleveledness FTW.

Azurina

PKMN Ranger Carmen Sandiego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2013
    Burgh. I kept losing to him for five days, and then realised that every single Pokemon on my team was weak against Bug-type.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    The only leader I had any trouble with at all was Clay, and that's because I was smart enough to challenge him with no healing items at all. XD The rest of them were astoundingly easy, even Lenora. There are plenty of Fighting-types around, guys. :(

Years
  • Lenora's Watchog is a troll. Of course it spammed Retaliate, Hypnosis and Confuse Ray throughout the entire battle.

I would also say Drayden's/Iris' gym was a hassel. Not so much they were strong, but battling all those trainers before them... Geez, what a hike!

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • Elesa was hard for me, the volt switch spam is very very painful. But once I figured out what she was doing I shut it down hard by tanking her with my Snivy and spam healing him. Only lost to her once.

Brycen was a beast for me to beat. Ice types were kinda difficult in every instant I've seen them, they just usually hit so freakin' hard I can't set up very well. The only reason I was was that my Gigialith got lucky with a crit and then I just ran with it. Plus I was really low on money to heal with at the time...

Iris was also pretty hard for me, though not directly. 4 of her gym trainers defeated me, I was scared as hell for the gym leader, and then preceded to one shot her. Did a happy dance afterwards.

Back