• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Unova Gym Leader?

• Total voters
Years
  • Everyone always struggles with at least one Gym, but which Gyms caused you trouble?

I know most people would say Elesa or Lenora but I want to hear your opinions.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Burgh if he was the bug guy. :)

I hope that I didn't vore for wrong gym leader. Lol. :D

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
    Years
  • Drayden. The others were fine because I used my Serperior(as a Snivy and Servine), Seismitoad(Tympole and Palpitoad), Unfezant(as a Pidove and Tranquill), Darmanitan(as a Darumaka), Zebstrika(as a Blitzle), and a Repardasu(actually Liepard, as a Choroneko, or Purrloin). His Fraxure and Haxorus was strong, when they use Dragon Dance, it's impossible, so I use Liepard to outspeed them.

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • Lenora(I hate that Watchog and his/her Retaliate!). Elesa never really caused much trouble, but maybe that's because I had Heat Crash with me, lol.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Lenora, definitely. She has the highest jump in levels from the previous Gym (6 levels) + evolved Pokemon. The rest only go up by 3-4 each. STAB Take Down and Retaliate is strong enough to one shot any equal or underleveled Pokemon. Unless you have a strong Pokemon with a Fighting type move, she is a very hard gym.

Normal gyms always seem to be the hardest. That Miltank in HG/SS was SOOO annoying.

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
    Years
  • Lenora was tough and I would of lost if not for Sawk. But my first defeat was to Elesa, I hate Emogla Volt Switch. Once I put Sandile on my team, she was easy. So it between Lenora and Elesa but I choose Elesa. The others (including Drayden) were too easy.

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • I never struggled with Lenora... ARM THRUST/RAZOR SHELL FTW!!!!
    My problem was Elesa and that GODDAMNED VOLT SWITCH. Also because Emolga didn't really have weaknesses, it's Aerial Ace murdered my Gurdurr (Rock Slide user) and I was totally screwed.
    I thought Lenora was fabulous, if only every gym had a +5 level jump... One can only dream.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Elesa - and those damn Emolgas - was definitely the hardest Gym Leader to face. The rest were all varying levels of meh in terms of difficulty, provided that you knew basic stuff about them going in. But Elesa was a definitive wild card in every sense of the word (and she's a model!)

Years
  • I would say Drayden. Damn Dragon Dance. It's just....to damn hard to outspeed him. I just went for the paralyze and out sped him. Then overpowered him. (Well as best I could.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I found Lenora to be the hardest by far. She has the evolved Herdier and Watchog, at levels 18 and 20 with strong STAB'd attacks. Meanwhile, you have these crappy early-game pokemon at around level 15 and 16 which probably haven't evolved yet. I had to use Leaf Tornado hax to win in the end. Most of my team resisted electric attacks, so Elesa wasn't too bad. And by the time I reached Iris, I was able to just sweep with a Belly Drum'd Darmanitan using Hammer Arm.

Last edited:

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • Lenora. She was just too over-leveled for me during the first battle. :/

I was like, "How can the second gym leader be such a pain?!"

Years
  • yeah, it is ironic that you can beat her with her own pokemon.

I can tell you how I did it:

I taught Attract via TM to my female Zebstrika, I recommend female Zebstrika cos two of Elesa's Pokemon are male (her Zebstrika and one of her Emolga), I use Attract then just spam Shock Wave on her Emolgas then I spammed Flame Charge on her Zebstrika (Zebstrika's ability makes it immune to Electric attacks) and I ended up winning.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd probably say Lenora. Herdier's Take Down seriously hurt at that point in the game. Watchog's Hypnosis was also annoying.

Back