• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Has anyone been so poor...

Lucariotoes

Ah-woo.
Years
  • ...that instead of buying HeartGold or SoulSilver they bought the original Gold or Silver instead?

That, at the very least, would be me. XD

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I would, but I have no clue where to get it. I can't afford a DS ><

CrashSmAshley

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I'm only 18 and now living on my own but I was able to get it. A few months ago I had to sell my DS Lite to get cash to make ends meet. Devastating, I know. 2 days after HG/SS came out, I went to trade in LeafGreen (just game) and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (case and all) and to my surprise got a little over $30 for both games. My uncle used to be manager of the Gamestop in my town, until he left for an opportunity with Nintendo, and now just works at Gamestop for 6 hours a month to still get discounts. He suggested HG/SS to me, and that with discount it would only cost me $10.16 with my traded game credit. Of course I bought it. I was playing it on my original DS, but I wanted my Lite back. So I traded in the original ($35) and got a used Lite that's in amazing condition for being pre-owned. :chu:

Pokéthan

I Do What Nintendon't
    Years
  • I bought a brand new GBC just to play Gold and Silver, already had them. Cant wait till Friday and I can get HG/SS!!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Great story Ashley! My story is similar. I bought a used Modern Warfare 2 XBox game from Hollywood Video and found a problem with it. Since Game Stop has a great return policy, they took the game back and I was able to get SS and a used DS Lite that the saleswoman said was unusually in good condition for a used item. I had been slowly saving up my limited discresionary income, but that didn't stop the Mrs from shaking her head at the purchase. What can I say, I have always had a soft spot for Pokemon even though I rarely have time to play it nowadays.

Don't feel too bad Lucariotoes. This is my first new Pokemon game that I have ever gotten when it came out. All my other cart were bought used and about a year after they were released. I still have my Gold and Silver carts and I think Yellow is kicking around somewhere. My youngest has picked up Silver himself since we cannot get him SS yet.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2010
    I have the orginal pokemon gold. I played it while I was waiting for pokemon soul silver to come out...and then I waited to buy the game b/c I had the original.

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
  • It wasn't that I couldn't afford new games, it was the fact that my parents where pretty strict on Academics and usually only on Birthdays did they get me video games, so I basically had to wait till I had my own job to get games and stuff that I wanted. Though the wait was definitely worth it, when I was able to use my own money to get what I wanted myself.

Luckily since I have a decent paying job that pays my bills and also leaves quite a bit leftover for myself, I was able to get HG & SS. I have good friends in quite a few gamestop stores so I do always get discounts (They are managers and one is a General Manager) so that helps out a lot. I actually recently got a new DSi, since I was tired of relying on other people to migrate pokemon from cart to cart which was too much time wasted and hassle, which I can now transfer myself between my DS lite and DSi units.

Years
  • The week during the release of HG/SS was pretty tough for me. I had about three different bills to be paid that week (medication, phone bill, and rent!). Somehow my boyfriend was so nice that he went and bought the game for me while I was at work. I'm going to return the kindness and get him a used DS Lite (he has the original DS but the top screen broke and I taped it back...but it's still very fragile/weird-looking). I got my used DS Lite from a locally-owned electronics/gaming/cd store, so I'm hoping to go back there and get a similar deal. Gamestop sells used DS Lites for like $90, but if you're lucky like me and you know of a small business, they usually have it for $80.

I totally feel for you Ashley...times are tough. :/

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's funny how everyone is talking about bills lol

I don't need to get Gold and Silver. They're in my closet in a shoe box :P
    I bought HG last week but I'm gonna start playing it tomorrow. And I also have bills to pay lol

Wild Electrode

Imma use Esplosion!
    Years
  • I still have my copy of Sliver I've had since I was a kid, so yeah. Wouldn't need to buy another. =P
    But as for money issues, HeartGold wasn't too bad. I babysit everyday for my mom and while $3 an hour is crap money, it adds up when I babysit 4 hours a day 5 days a week. =D

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
  • My DS, well not my DS, my sister's DS that I could play when I want, was destroyed by the devil. Aka, my cat. She thought the DS was a nice place to do her business, I guess. I don't even know how much HG or SS costs, actually. But I know it'd be dumb to buy that before I got a working DS. What's the next holiday? Easter? Maybe if I beg, I'll get lucky, but in this economy, that's doubtful. Very doubtful. I'll prolly just get a chocolate bunny d:

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
  • Nope, I have a pretty solid job (not so many hours this month, though) and I've been saving for a while. I actually paid off my original preorder by trading old DS games, and I have heaps left for Silver.

Back