• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Has anyone noticed the overabundance of bird Pokemon in B/W?

dizzyKitty

The Confuzzled Coding Cat
Years
  • It just seemed like such a variety to me. xD

If you look at all the bird Pokemon from Kanto, they're all (with the exception of the legendaries and psyduck and golduck) pretty much brown, tan, black, and red. Their colors were limited and they all looked similar, versus the Unova birds, which have a variety of colors and give a nod to a number of different real-world bird species.

slyViper

The Loving Wolf
    Years
  • I guess it all comes down to game freak makings sure they don't run out of ideas by keeping them all different I suppose. I still came up with the idea for a swan pokemon at least a year in advanced before the game released -shakes fist-

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • It just seemed like such a variety to me. xD

If you look at all the bird Pokemon from Kanto, they're all (with the exception of the legendaries and psyduck and golduck) pretty much brown, tan, black, and red. Their colors were limited and they all looked similar, versus the Unova birds, which have a variety of colors and give a nod to a number of different real-world bird species.
    Too me that just shows an evolving complexity in pokemons design across the board. Which is refreshing too me, since I would rather see a good design then something bland. Sure people may complain they are over doing it, but I think the Bird Pokemon and a majority of the rest are hell of designs. As you noted their coloration's are rather similar and bland, but that was the beginning of the series and that was what they were aiming for at the time.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I guess it all comes down to game freak makings sure they don't run out of ideas by keeping them all different I suppose. I still came up with the idea for a swan pokemon at least a year in advanced before the game released -shakes fist-

That's not really surprising, since a swan is a pretty typical bird. I bet there were people who came up with the idea for a swan pokemon before you too.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
  • I'm actually pretty happy they have a lot flying types. They are my 2nd favorite type, fire being first. But Braviary looks totally awesome!

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • "As for the topic at hand there does not seem to be an overabundance of Bird type pokemon in Unova."
    Which is what I said here... A dozen pokemon of Bird heritage is not overabundance. The topic creator is the one that claimed that.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • The more bird pokemon, the more choices! That is better overall in my opinion. What if the bird pokemon I choose to help me fly places turns out to be terrible or weak? I can easily choose another.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • I guess this would be a good thing because I know whenever I wanted a flyer in HG/SS or something like that my choices would be very limited but now you don't have to keep using the same flying Pokemon over and over again.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • That is not a lot of birds... i mean it is around the same amount for most other gens, but still not that much. But I do love them all and I love their variety of typings and move sets.

actually we ae missing those genie pokemon.... so I guess that is 15 flying types. And also Emonga, Woobat and Swoobat. 18 flying types now. so I guess there is an abundance after all...

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • There are not many good flying pokemon who can learn fly though. Unfezant,Braviary,Mandibuzz,Shinpora(English name too hard to remember >_<),Swoobat,Swanna,Archeops. And barely any of them are useful with fly. I find Braviary,Swanna and Archeops the best since they get other good moves. IMO Unfezant is lame it only gets aerial ace for a one turn flying move of any use on it. Plus there is Golurk for a flyer.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2011
    there is also a lot of new bug pokemon and i think that is werry good since there are werry few strong bug pokemon
    but the reason there is so many flying types is simple
    until you beat elite 4 you CANT catch any other pokemon than the new ones (or at least so ive heard)
    if thats tru it means their trying to kinda make a new red and blue but whit new pokemons
    and also there is about 150 new pokemon and when the first pokemons came out there was 150 of them
    so basicly they made a new pokemon game whit new pokemon thats suposed to have the feel of the first gen games
    or at least thats what i think

Future_Chaos

Obsessed with Eelektross
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I don't see this as bad news, I love birds. xD The variety of the species of birds they used also kinda takes your mind off that they're all birds. I'm really glad they have a swan, a vulture, and an ARCHAEOPTERYX <33333

So yeah, birds are cool.

Years
  • I love all these new Flying type ideas GameFreak as gave us! I also noticed an increase in the Poke-populaiton of Ghost types. With Litwick's family being shown along with the Gel Ballon ghost, more dual-typed ghosts are coming out! The Ghost Golem idea was uniquely cool too, I think they should add a Grass/Ghost and maybe a Psychic/Ghost?

The number of Dark types have slightly increased too, with the introductions of Purrloin and such. Psychic types have also shown in numbers and varieties lately, Reuniclus and Gothitell's families are good additions to the mental link.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 12, 2013
    I like the designs of the birds this year, although I never use them for anything but HM *****s so it doesn't really matter to me.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    There may be an overabundance in bird Pokémon this Gen, but I want to say at least some of them resemble what they are meant to be. For example Pidove and its evolution line and Braviary. Pidove actually resembles a Pigeon more than the previous Pigeon Pokémon. You can tell its a pigeon not only from its name (As with Pidgey and its evolution line) but from its design as well. Most pigeons are gray as well as the types you would see along New York, and Pidove has that look. Seeing as Unova is based off of New York, a pigeon Pokémon like Pidove is to be expected around, so that's one flying type that not only represents its design but the state of Unova as well. New York doesn't have too many different birds (or so I think) so common ones of the sort are bound to be in the game if GameFreak really wanted them to represent its region.

Braviary the Valiant Pokémon, is another example for representing Unova and New York. Valiant means bold, brave and heroic and Braviary shows that off well. Its red, white and blue colors are to have the representation of Unova to New York within the US national flag so that was all the more expected again too.

My point being, I don't mind there being an overabundance in bird Pokémon since especially they are types that are to be commonly known around the US, or New York moreover. As for their annoyance and moveset in the game, it may not be all that great but I still enjoy their design and appearance to keep Unova and its 'population' fitting the name for both the US and New York.

The Red Chain

If you ask me, the overabundance of bird-like Pokemon makes a lot of sense. In real life we have so many birds around the world it's ridiculous. I don't know if birds are more significant number-wise in America than they are in Japan, but it sure seems to show as truth in B&W. XD;

I really don't mind all the "birds" [even though some of them aren't technically birds] in B&W. As long as there is a good reason behind anything, I'm usually fine with it~. ^.^

Back