• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have You ever been Stereotyped?

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Everyone Stereotypes people.

Don't tell me you all have never looked at someone you don't know very well and tried, maybe just in your own mind, to guess something about them. [i.e.: 'really smart girl at the top of the class is asian, she's only smart because she's asian' or 'that girl wears really ugly clothes, she must not care how she looks'] It's just part of what we do as people in general.

For the most part, stereotypes are caused by ignorance and the need to make ourselves look better than another person. >>; The ignorance is easily fixed with information, the later...not so much.

I guess what I've learned [because i've got quite a few stereotypical labels myself] is don't take it too personally unless the person who's saying it is like your best friend. Stupid people are stupid. >>

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Emo, for having black hair and a side fringe. I'm really not the one to wear dark clothes though. >_> My hair's naturally black and I like the fringe. :(

I can act feminine sometimes, and I have a higher pitched voice so these gay rumors fly around.

like it's my fault i'm so skinny or something.
    Yeah, go blame your best friend.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I find it surprising that nobody has actually called me a typical smug white Briton.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I found myself being stereotyped very often, sadly. :l

Almost anything about me can be stereotyped, and though I wish that wouldn't happen, I can't help it. Because of that, I try my best not to stereotype others. Because I know how much it can hurt for someone to do that.

Ex Trainer Ruiisu

You Told Me I Was A Monster
    Years
  • All the time!

Apparently, I smoke weed everyday, all I listen to is rock and metal, etc.

I have really, really long hair. :)
    the same has been for me as well^ minus the long hair, plus a mohawk back in the day.
    along with some guy calling me a "tool" for liking a band that had been broken up for a few years, although he himself was a tool in the fashion that he did whatever his friends told him to do.
    I guess stereotyping kinda ended for me though when i finished highschool, though me and my friends will joke around with each other from time to time.

Stereotyping is all based on the fear of the unknown imo.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I've lost a good number of potential friends thanks to me being stereotyped. As a matter of fact, I remember a conversation between me and a female friend of mine, where she told me that if I never approached her first, we would have never become friends because my appearance coupled with all the negative things she heard about black people mad eher want to stay as afar away as possible. However, I know I'm a bit hypocritical when it comes to this subject as I have stereotyped others in the past as well.

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • "Hey you like that Japanese stuff."
    "Yeah, kinda."
    "Then you'll get really well with my son he loves that Narto thingy you know ninjas hehe. I just bought him this cool bandana."
    "ಠ_ಠ"

"Look at your hair, for god's sake."
    "What about it."
    "It's different, so you're emo and probably cut yourself."
    "ಠ_ಠ"

"lol so where are you from?"
    "Brazil."
    "Wow, so, how does it feel living in the middle of the jungle?"
    "ಠ_ಠ"

Basically.

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
  • XD yeah. I look nothing like the type to play pokemon, Sword fight, and be into anime. people assume that im ghetto (well.......i kinda am XD.....and i dress like it too. just look at my avatar). And when people hear that i've never had a girlfriend they look at me like: o.O BULLSPIT (XD I'm TOO shy). And people assume that cause im black and hanging out with their daughter that ima try somethin with her.......(like i said....i'm WAAAAAY too shy for anything like that. Heck I barely even have female friends) lol
    And my friends in my current neighborhood LOOK emo, so people are always like: Why do you hangout with those emo kids with the tails? (They're furries XD) and i stick out like a sore thumb with them XD

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
  • Well, I dress in black, listen to heavy metal, and LOVE vampire books (but I am NOT one of the pre-pubescent Twilight fangirls...although I do like Twilight :3 BUT ONLY THE BOOKS! >_< ) that I'm a vampire.
    So when you're a SENIOR and a FRESHMEN (one of the small annoying preppy ones, mind you) gets heckled on by his friends to come up to me and say
    "You're a vampire, aren't you? Are you going to suck my blood and kill me?"
    I can't say
    "No, I'm going to ---------insert horrible torture here------------ ."
    because I'm in school, and he'll rat me out, I just have to ignore him.

Although, it does help to have graduated. :D

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • Shockingly, I don't get much stereotyping about being smart, unathletic, or liking Pokemon. (A nerd.)
    Fact: I drink NERD energy drink. (see for yourself)
    Hell, I took a few friends to the Renaissance Festival for my birthday.
    I have my energy sword hanging on my wall.
    I guess you could say I embrace my nerdiness.

But no, I don't get as much stereotyping upfront.
    Sometimes I get a little bit of dissing for being in band, but that's it.
    Damn haters.

But I will admit, I think there is a point where you can't say "I'm not (stereotype group)"

And there is always a grain of truth in stereotypes, as much as you try to deny it.

Last edited:

Dirtyjerry

TJ Kitchen
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    i have been stereotyped as "wanting to be black" because i listen to a lot of rap music. i never feel that i can relate to any of it in the slightest bit, i just enjoy listening to it.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • I'm stereotyped as a geek girl, which I don't mind too much. It's because I'll spend all my time on my computers or games consoles, and I have a full-time job in IT Services.

In my last two years of school was the time I cut my hair short (as it is now on my profile picture, and in drawn form in my avatar), and because teenage girls are awful creatures, they all assumed I was expressing EXTREME HOMOSEXUALITY. I've been straight my whole life =/

I'm laughing because now short hair is in fashion, and they all look really stupid with short hair 8D

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • "Hey, are you a soldier for the Fourth Reich?"
    "Oh yes, I'm an eeevilll neo-nazi with my black hair, green eyes, and Puerto Rican girlfriend."

Years
  • Fact: I drink NERD energy drink.

that is awesome, i wish we had that drink over here :3 haha

i see a lot of the stereotypes here are similar. i have been called emo(when i used to have super short hair..its long now :3) homosexual (well that's sort of true heh) and geek.

Birdybot

-insert witty phrase here-
    Years
  • When I went to New York on holiday, people thought I was posh 'cos I'm English, and a lot of the time people think I'm... well, eccentric would be an under-statement... I'm very very hyper, basically.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
  • When I went to New York on holiday, people thought I was posh 'cos I'm English.
    This reminds me of Floridian shop assistants fangirling over my accent. I fail to see how accents are as awesome as they seemed to think they are =[

On another note, people with my regional dialect are stereotyped as farmers and the unintelligent. I come from the very south west, which is historically known for agriculture 8D

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Yea, I do all the time (most of the time I shut the person down or get into a fight with them)
    But recently while I was walking downtown with my friends last Thursday in times Square, I was stereotyped as a Gothic person just because I had Red hair in the front, orange in the middle and black in the back. All I can say was wtf -.-"

:t354:TG

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I have been classed as the following stereotypes:
    * The really mean and sadistic guy
    * The smart but reasonably popular guy
    * The smart and really sarcastic one

They all hold some kind of truth to them as i do have quite a dark and sarcastic sense of humor and have a good degree of intelligence, but i would say the closest would be the third.

I have also been classed by people who know me quite well as the SMC (sarcastic middle class) because of my accent but some have commented otherwise

Back