• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever caught them all?

Years
  • I was just recently watching Pokemon Origins again and what struck me as interesting was that the whole motto of Pokemon is to "Catch em' all" but in all the games I have played which is pretty much all of them, I have never caught them all. I only catch the few that I'd need for my team and leave everything else alone so my question is, have you ever caught them all in any Pokemon game?

I want to "Catch em' all" but it is a really daunting task, it really is.

Years
  • I have done so three times - in Platinum, White 2 and X, if the events aren't included. But if they are, then no. Yes it was daunting but I managed to do it with some work.

Years
  • I have the full national Pokedex on X, but I got it with major help from my friends, so I don't know if this counts :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Funny you mention Origins. That's what inspired me to actually go for it and complete the Pokedex in X, which I did accomplish. Sitting on a Pokedex with 719 Pokemon and I'm pretty proud! It was a ton of fun to work on the Pokedex as well. I'd do it again, honestly.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The only time I've ever caught 'em all was in Pearl. Thought that I had to do it at least once in my life. But I think that'll be the last time I do it. It's just not worth it to me to catch every single Pokemon, and we keep getting more and more Pokemon, so soon we're gonna have an absurd number to get. 493 was enough for me.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Nope. I remember saying in a thread around new years that my goal was to complete the pokedex in y, but i just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have been kind of busy lately, so it won't be in the near future either :/

I'm thinking that i should just put some time into completing the dex in blue, atleast then i can say i that i have completed one xD

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Yes, I have on all main series games, and by only trading with myself.

I used AR to get the event exclusives for the games that no longer had events held for them, though. I thought I could avoid doing this, but then after completing the National Pokédex, browsing through it and seeing that it is definitely NOT complete just felt wrong. I think my submission to Pokémemes on the subject represents my feelings at that time exactly: (Link) :) .

Other than those, all other Pokémon are legit. It was tedious for Gen 3 (I had to buy and finish the Gamecube games to get Ho-Oh and Lugia, as well as the Johto starters, and don't get me started on the subject of Feebas...) , but it made the job much easier for subsequent generations.

And then out of sheer boredom I made a living Pokédex in each generation from 3 to 6.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • in my Y game, my main game, I have 718 in my Pokedex, I don't own all of them - mainly missing the event legendary and legendaries that can't be caught in the 5th generation (people where kind enough to let me borrow theirs to complete PokeDex, return right away).

It was mainly thanks to the GTS, and a few trades. Many of my other teams Pokedex is no where near.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • Nope. Never done it. But man, I tried to hard in Black2 to catch them and evolve them all. I hope I'll be able to do it one day.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Sadly, I've never caught them all. I was pretty darn close in Emerald; captured almost each and every Pokémon, except only about five, which, if I remember right, would be Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Feebas, and Milotic. I've searched for Bagon everywhere in places that it was supposed to be found, but unfortunately, regardless of how hard I've tried, I just wasn't able to encounter it. One of my friends had to of them, but she couldn't give any to me as neither of us had any link cable.

As far as Feebas and Milotic go, it's the same, exact story. I've tried fishing for them plenty of times, but on each attempt, I always wound up running into the likes of Magikarp and whatnot. I really wish they weren't like that, to be honest. It does make them rare, which I appreciate, but it's an overly bothersome process, if you ask me. If it were a little less difficult, I'm sure a lot of people would have liked it better.

Due to not being able to catch them, I had to give up trying to complete my PokéDex.

Years
  • X and Y were the first games I caught them all, except now event only legendaries. I poured a week into it after I beat the game. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a simple pokemon for something you have that is worth a lot more.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Only in Emerald and all of the Pokemon Ranger games, I never managed to fill the National Pokedex or Regional Pokedex for any other game after those. I was working on filling X's Pokedex for a while but I got bored with catching and evolving Pokemon. Plus, I ended up with a box of Pokemon who needed evolutionary stones but I didn't have any or the motivation to do Super Training a million times, so I kinda quit haha.

Years
  • Eh, the closest that I ever got to catching them all was getting all of the Kanto Pokemon back on Fire Red. That in itself took me a couple years to do, and even then, I think I maxed out at about 270 of the 86 in the National Dex at the time. I also managed to get around 400 Pokemon thanks to the GTS in White 2, but I still had a long ways to go before they shut down the online servers.

Maybe one day I'll get it done just to say I have, but that'll definitely be later rather than sooner.

Back