• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever given up Pokemon? And if so, did you fail miserably and go back to it?

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
  • yep once because my friends started to hate me so i did for about 1 day and i thought hey if they dont like me because i love pokemon then screw them and now im addicted to it

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Not really have I "given up" on pokemon, though there are times where I stop playing for awhile, but then I play again randomly.
    This is basically the same situation I've had as far as "giving up" on it goes. I've never actually quit or said I will stop playing it from now on, because it's just something I like. Like said, I have stopped for a period of time, but not for long periods, but more so consecutive ones at times when I got into other things. As for now though, I think I'm pretty much a hard core fan of it more than I used to be years back.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • i was in love with ash ketchum aswell so im still am he he hes so cute!!!

Years
  • Back in GS times, my mother thought i was addicted because i was playing Pokemon more than the 30 minutes per day i was allowed, so she sold all my Pokemon Games, but no one wanted to buy my gameboy pocket, so i got it back, but without games. Maybe two years later, i saw some Pokemon games in some local store when i wanted to buy me a new pencil (or whatever) there, i bought me new Yellow, Gold and Silver versions there. Sadly, all of them were faked, but at least they were playable. In the next years i was playing Pokemon again quite often - until my Gameboy Pocket broke, which was some days before the DP release. So maybe just a weak later, i had a DS and a Pearl version, which i played for some month and then let it dust on the shelf. After maybe about a year without Pokemon later, i got back to it again some months ago, and still playing it.

So i short, yes, i had quite a lot of times when i didn't play Pokemon.

patrickcal

Freakin' Pacmon!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2012
    I always stop playing for a while, usually a few months, and then go back. Usually when my brother goes back.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Uuum.. in 2001 my Pokemon obsession sort of died down.

(I'm bored.. so prepare for a longer post then is needed. XD)

I admit.. I wasn't too found of the G/S/C games, and the Johto season of the anime didn't hook me in much either. So I stopped watching the anime almost completely for about three years, and also didn't play the games much within that time. What I did watch/play of Pokemon were the older games, and older anime episodes/movies. (Although I did still go see the third movie in theaters with friends, and it was awesome. >_>; xD)

Sometimes when I came home from school I'd watch random episodes of Pokemon Johto ('Master Quest', specifically..), and towards the end it seemed to get more interesting to me. Theeeen I saw Brock and Misty leave, and Pokemon Advanced started up. >__> I'm sure a lot of people here remember my 'Drew' username. Sooo needless to say, AG re-hooked me in late 2003, and I ended up loving the R/S/E games.

By 2004 was as into Pokemon as ever.. then in early 2005 I joined here. > > I have to admit this time around, I'm more into than the first time, possibly. xD; Or at least more dedicated to keeping up with it.

tl;dr - Johto sucked. Pokemon was almost totally out of my life for about three years, then AG got me back into it. (In my defense, I love HeartGold.. I'm not a total Johto hater. D: )

Ah.. I think I've got all the typing spree out of my system now.

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • I got sick of playing Pokemon about a couple months ago, but when I saw my Nintendo D.S. and my Pokemon Platinum inside it, I restarted it over and over again because it was so easy to beat.

The Red Chain

I've given up on Pokemon once before yes.
    After the 3rd generation disappointed me a few years ago I gradually began to dislike Pokemon.
    But soon after the 4th generation came out I decided to give Pokemon another try, so I purchased Diamond.
    Became reattached once again. <3

Pokemon is addictive. :x

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
  • I gave up Pokemon for a week. Then went rushing right back to the anime soon as I heard they were having a new season, and not a repeat.

Hey, I grew up on the anime! My Pokemon moods depend on if the anime doesn't repeat seasons so much I lose interest and flip to MTV or Channel [V].

CrazyCarretta

It works!
    Years
  • See I kind of lost interest in ruby after catching groudon and beating the elite 4. I was bored with it, and I had no desire to fill out the National dex. So I took a 4 year break until I picked up Diamond, now I'm hooked all over again.

Code_Green

Time to get serious!
    Years
  • 4 times this has happened. XD
    First was in the color generation. Then after the metal generation. After the third, then in the middle of the fourth. XD

Years
  • I stopped playing at one point for about 4 years when I was 15. It was a combination of....well....hiding it from girlfriends.....and none of my other friends played anymore, so I stopped. Now that I'm in college, we all went our separate ways. I got over the embarassment of playing finally, and picked up D/P, only to realize I had missed FR/LG and Emerald (I did buy R/S right before I stopped playing), therefore I couldn't complete the dex! Had to buy FR/LG on eBay....

I don't play nonstop like I did when I was 11-14, but I will probably play casually as long as the games don't start to suck.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Pokemon isn't something you just say "Okay, I'm going to stop playing this." It's something you gradually grow out of.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • I never would just stop playing it instantly. I need time to get out of it, and normally it ranges from 2 days to 2 years for me to get out of something. Other than that, I've never been truly have stopped playing pokemon.

Tacogeddon

Pokemonidae
    Years
  • Ha, I've mentioned this a few times before. It's like kids always seem to have a phase where they think they're too old and mature for something, but go back to it later and love it all over again. It seems like every kid in school did this. Hey though, remember that a lot of things have an age recommendation, but not an age limit!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    When I was younger I used to play pokemon alll the time. Then I stopped for awhile. I always get back into after a bit, but I still enjoy it. It was never a descion like"Im never playing Pokemon agian!"

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • Hmmm I stopped watching the anime right after the episode "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon" which is the episode where Ash's Charmeleon evolves to Charizard. I literally remember that being the last episode I watched. I gave up on the games right around the beginning of high school (I remember Sapphire was the last game I played through). Years went by and I never even thought about Pokemon. I gave my games and cards to my friend's little brother right after I stopped playing.

I'd say about a year and a half ago I was watching tv early in the morning and while channel surfing I came across an episode of Diamond and Pearl. Ash was battling Paul and his Pikachu was getting owned by Paul's Elekid. I thought about how impossible that had to be since I hadn't watched the show in years and surely his Pikachu had gotten stronger? After watching the episode I went out and bought a DS Lite and Pokemon Diamond. Since then, I haven't looked back. Pokemon is more fun now than it has ever been. The inclusion of Wi-Fi and the Global Terminal is awesome. I even went as far as watching the anime allll the way up to Diamond and Pearl episode 10. I still have a lot of catching up to do haha.

Why would you give up something you love? I don't think giving up Pokemon all those years ago was a mistake. It allowed me to grow in other areas of my life. I was going through some tough times about a year and a half ago, but rediscovering Pokemon was like a breath of fresh air. It was even more fun when I found out some of my friends had also bought the new games (Platinum was out by now) so we were able to enjoy it together.

So there's my two cents haha.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I stopped playing for a while in between Gold and Silver and Ruby and Sapphire. I was bummed that my Gold version stopped working and just stopped playing it altogether until FireRed came out. I actually wasn't going to get Pearl until my cousin kind of forced me, and then I ended up being the only one to beat it. And now we're on HG/SS.

Back