• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever had a Pokemon on your team just for its looks?

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    All the time... If it looks ugly upon evolution I will not evolve the party one. I'll stick another one in the daycare, until it evolves, and keep it for pokedex reasons.

Pecilia

Best Witch
    Years
    I like my Shuckle, even if it doesn't evolve I like how he looks. He's like the Bro of pokemon. I also plan on leveling Litwick without evolution. One of the only 5th gen pokemon I like.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2012
    A good trainer is more interested in. Low power was a very interesting and hard work have a strong team.

I think Gyarados and Steelix and interesting, but will never be subject to my team.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I do it quite a lot. XD Nearly in every playthrough, half of the Pokemon are more 'serious battlers' (in Emerald I had a Salamence, in Black I had a Hydreigon... you get the idea) and the rest are Pokemon I just like. I always pick Blaziken because I like it. I chose Jellicent almost immediatey in Black because it is so epic... it's quite a good fighter too. :) Luckily, the Pokemon I like are normally quite good battlers too. :)

I didn't really enjoy using Espeon in Platinum though, yet I love its design. :\ I'm trying to find a way to use it in another playthrough though, just to see if iI can use it more strategically (I didn't use it amazingly when I used it in Paltinum). :) Also, speaking of Platinum, Empoleon is another Pokemon I used mainly for looks, and it didn't perform as good as I'd of hoped.

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    I don't especially like Pokémon for the way they look. For example, I think Swampert is ugly, but I love it nevertheless.
    But I have to admit that sometimes I choose them for the design. Gardevoir isn't the strongest Pokémon, but I need it in my RSE team, it's so graceful and I like the idea to have it in my "official team". And I also chose Oshawott as my BW starter because I didn't like the design of the two others.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
    I had a Mawile with me for most of the time during my Pokemon Ruby days. It looked fantastic :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    In my recent Black playthrough, I've kept Herdier in my team purely because it looks better than Stoutland (and that I wanted a high level Herdier but that's irrelevant) and I know in the past I've used the best looking bird Pokemon as my main Pokemon simply because they look awesome, lol.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    The only thing that I care about are a Pokémon's stats & move-set. If both of those are at least within acceptable limits, it will see some use from me.

I don't care about how it looks, period.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Eelektross is one fugly mo'fo and has had pride of place on my team. Indeed, looks would be the last thing I'd consider when choosing critters to go on a team at any one time. 'Cute' Pokemon really do nothing for me, to be honest.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    when I first started playing pokemon I always chose a pokemon on how it looked. Now though I pick for their strengths and weakness in battle. Occasionally I still chose a pokemon for how it looks. :)

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Rather than just get a Pokemon for how good it is, have you ever put one in your party or kept it from evolving just for its looks?

I have, I never evolve my Haunter due to the way it looks and I have also had a Pichu.

Yes I kept my Axel from evolving for awhile because of the way it looked but in the end gave in caught another and evolved it.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    'have you ever'? I basically play the game like that! if it's not cute it has not place in my team though my definition of cute is not always the same lol

what I mean is that I only pick things for their power/utility when battling competitively; when I'm playing the rpg I couldn't care less if it's a good strong species or not

Years
    Yes, all the time. However, I will usually not use it if it has stats so low I'd barely be able to scrape by in battles... so looks aside, stats do factor into what I choose as well, though they're not as major. I personally don't see the point in training something that I think isn't visually appealing - that's why we have so many species to choose from.

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Lilligant... It's an awesome pokemon with awesome looks and awesome attacks what else do you expect? lol

Back