• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you gotten better at pokemon?

Have you gotten better at Pokemon since X & Y came out?

• A whole lot better, Yes

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • In between the Yes and No

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No. not really

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
  • I did get a lot better, not with X and Y, but with Platinum. I didn't care for natures, didn't know what EV's nor IV's were, non damaging moves were useless for me, etc. I joined this place shortly after buying Plat and I've gotten better and better since then.

Xadvid

Screw finals
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    I can say that I've gotten better at Pokemon ever since I got Pokemon X. I learned about IVs, the role of Natures, and about how important non-damage dealing moves are, and I now care A LOT for them.

Years
  • Yeah I did get better as generations went on, my team in Ruby was like so noobish, weak and redundant compared to what I have on my 5th Gen games and X/Y. I definitely improved in type diversity for sure, as well as being more aware of abilities and moves.

Anuya

Hoenn's Elite Four pretender
    Years
  • On Pokémon Ruby to Pokémon Black&White, It was always the same thing with the strategy, but with Pokémon X&Y it has changed and I realized the importance of Iv and Ev ^o^

soreninja

Dat Tongue Scarf tho...
    Years
  • To be honest, even though I am a pokemon fan for a long time, X and Y introduced me to competitive battling, I have started breeding, ev training, trading and wi-fi battling. That's why I picked Yes, I have learned a lot.

Years
  • If we're talking about in-game mechanics like battles, breeding and such then I would say i'm as good with that as ever.

But if we're talking competitive battles, then I can't say. I've done a few competitive Gen VI battles on Showdown, but I hardly ever did much competitive in the previous gens, though I did do a few on occasion. With new breeding mechanics, IVs are more essential than ever, definitely.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I didn't learn about stats, EVs/IVs and all that until gen 5. Then in this gen I started using it in battles. So I'd say I've gotten a lot better since my first game. xD

Burakki Tsuki

Now playing Pokemon again! :D
    Years
  • I haven't got better at playing the series with generation 6, but have gotten better since the first generation. Although I have never seriously attempted breeding so that will be something I will learn and get better at soon. Just got Y on Monday.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I would say I've improved somewhat before X and Y came out. I feel that I'm much better at creating balanced move set's for my Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I think my largest improvements in Pokémon playing came in GSC and RSE. I transitioned from Red, where I hardly caught any Pokémon, only used my starter, and didn't pay attention to any stats besides HP, to Gold, where I made a full team and completed my Pokedex. Sure, my Gold team was bad, but at least it was an improvement. I first got into the competitive aspects of Pokémon in Sapphire, when I learned about EVs and IVs and started using balanced, effective teams.

In answer to the poll's question, though, I haven't improved a whole lot in XY. I do think I've become a better/more avid breeder--the new mechanics have encouraged me to do a lot more IV breeding, as I actually feel like I have some control over it now. As for actual battling abilities, I generally just breed/raise competitive Pokémon without actually using them in battles against other real players, so I doubt I've improved that much. Sure, I know a lot of common Pokémon, counters, etc., but I don't have the damage calculations memorized that a lot of high-end players seem to. Will move A from Pokémon B (with EV spread C) OHKO or 2HKO Pokémon D with EV spread E? I probably couldn't tell you, but I could make a reasonable guess as to how other players might respond to certain situations.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Not exactly since X and Y, but I've definitely improved since my first game, Red version. I remember when I didn't even know how to save. I'd restart the game constantly. Or how I'd just spam whatever move I could and mostly rely on my starter. Now I tend to think my moves out more and level up each Pokemon as evenly as possible. X and Y have made training easier for me though. I've been considering EV training with Super Training and I've been using competitive sites to help me choose the moves I teach my Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I've definitely improved a lot since my first game where I only used Feraligatr the entire time. Fortunately everything in the second generation games was pretty underleveled.

Years
  • I have gotten from being unable to exit my house to being the best that there is understanding many of the game mechanics (e.g. IVs, EVs), moves, types, etc.

I'd say that's an improvement, eh?

Back