• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Have you had the vaccine yet?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    While I respect your decision to not get inoculated at this time, let me ask you this: were you ever vaccinated from the 2009 H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic? It was first reported in early 2009, widespread in my country by May 2009, and I was vaccinated for it in October 2009. Timeline shouldn't be a determining factor in not getting a shot.
    not that you were asking me but idk if that's really a comparable situation

I remember swine flu being noteworthy in the US at that time, but not a full blown pandemic, and I don't think I ever got a vaccine for that

Years
  • not that you were asking me but idk if that's really a comparable situation

I remember swine flu being noteworthy in the US at that time, but not a full blown pandemic, and I don't think I ever got a vaccine for that
    Oops I thought I mentioned that in my post above (revised it before posting) but yeah I am definitely aware that it wasn't as big as COVID is.

I was vaccinated for it probably because it was a big issue here. Schools were actually getting shut down due to students catching it where I am.

Years
  • I don't trust it. It skipped trials and came out in less than a year. I'm not going to get a shot for a virus that has a less than 1% chance of actually killing me.
    Not true. Trials for the COVID-19 vaccine started in March 2020. Moderna published their initial vaccine trial results in July (source) & Pfizer posted theres in August (source. Here's an article regarding the development of the vaccines.

It was able to come out within a year as the scientists were not starting from scratch source:
    Before the new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, arrived and started causing COVID-19, there was much research done on similar coronaviruses called SARS and MERS.

"The University of Oxford had begun work on SARS, and so when SARS kind of went away and didn't turn into a global pandemic, the research kind of stopped on that vaccine," Burton said.

The previous research gave scientists a head start on COVID-19 research
    Both the mRNA and adenovirus technologies behind the COVID-19 vaccines were built on decades of research and experience.

"The scientific community wasn't starting from scratch. Adenovirus and mRNA technology has been used in humans for decades. These are not new technologies. It's mature, safe technology that was tailored and employed to fight this pandemic," Jordan said.

In fact, Burton added that Moderna has been working strictly on mRNA for years
    Make your own decisions as far as getting the vaccine goes, but please don't post inaccurate statements.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Received the second dose of Moderna about two and a half weeks ago. Scheduled an appointment as soon as one was available. Signed up for open appointment notifications at a few places. Found one at the usual doctor's office first.

Worried about the first dose initially. Occurred during a massive spike in the state's positivity rate (~15%?). Heard too many stories of people canceling their vaccination appointments due to contracting the virus. Happened to a cousin.

Experienced a sore arm from both doses. Describes it as slightly worse than what the influenza vaccination usually gives. Lasted 1-2 days. Noticed no other side effects.

Years
  • Wow. How did you find out that you already had Covid when you went in for the vaccine? Like what were the signs?
    I got my vaccine on April 1st, and started feeling shitty around the 7th, but wrote it off as allergies due to the changing weather. By that Friday, I assumed I had strep or smth...and I went to an urgent care who refused to test me because I had already received my first dose.,,.,which was weird, as they don't inject you with the virus unlike the flu shot.,., I felt worse by Saturday, so I went elsewhere, and tested positive.

My symptoms were typical at first - fatigue, lack of smell, brain fog, etc. I think they lasted about..a week or so, but my unvaccinated partner had a much worse time with it. His symptoms - mainly extreme fatigue and lack of taste - lasted a lot longer than mine did.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I haven't yet, but that's because my government is ... I can't think of a PG way to describe it so let's just leave it at that.

In theory, my age group will get the first dose in October. In practice, only god knows when because we all know logistic issues can and will happen.

Years
  • Currently no - but I did get a message to book an appointment for my first one today!

The only issue is the nearest place that will offer it right now is about 30 miles away, kinda hard when working full time and don't own your own vehicle!

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Not true. Trials for the COVID-19 vaccine started in March 2020. Moderna published their initial vaccine trial results in July (source) & Pfizer posted theres in August (source. Here's an article regarding the development of the vaccines.

Make your own decisions as far as getting the vaccine goes, but please don't post inaccurate statements.
    Interesting how 45 people over the course of about a month is considered at all a trial or even a decent sample size. And 50% of the non-placebo had pretty severe adverse reactions? Oof. I unfortunately can't comment on the first link because my IP address is apparently blocked by that website for some reason, but if anything this has only affirmed my beliefs that this vaccine isn't trustworthy.

Edit: Nvm, I can see the first link on my comp but not on my phone for some reason. But it's yet another 45 people over the course of 28 days. That is not a trial. That is not science. Trials last far longer than that and have a far greater sample size.

Last edited:
    Years
  • it's In The Works. a tad bit difficult because im trying not to take any days off of work if at all possible simply because i'm still new there and im under a probationary period. granted, not that i think taking a day or two off to get the vaccine would reflect poorly on my attendance or anything, but again, would rather not take chances.

considering that this is my third month, i'd feel a lot better about getting one during the second or third week or so.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • I have had both parts of the Astra Zenica vaccine.
    I was given them so early because of my diabetes.
    I feel fine, and haven't had any of the things people claim are bad, but I won't post what those claims are as to not upset anyone about to have, or on the fence about having.

The first dose I got really bad. Basically had the flu-like symptoms they warn about, and was like it for 24 hours. So ill u was not awake, and basically don't remember that day.

The second dose was fine. I did not react at all~

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I haven't, but it's because I'm scared of the side effects... one of the vaccines has blood clots, or something, so I'm scared I'll get blood clots from one of the vaccines.

I'll get it eventually, when I'm less scared.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I completely understand that worry however the clot risk (which from what I understand is specific to one vaccine, not all) is significantly lower by magnitudes than the risk of clot if you catch covid, so if blood clots is your worry it makes more sense to get the vaccine than not

Years
  • I completely understand that worry however the clot risk (which from what I understand is specific to one vaccine, not all) is significantly lower by magnitudes than the risk of clot if you catch covid, so if blood clots is your worry it makes more sense to get the vaccine than not
    There is more than one vaccine that has a blood clot risk, those are the ones that use the same technology as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Bay

Years
  • I took the first Pfzier dose mid-April and the second dose in early May. The first time I had a sore arm that lasted a couple days. The second time I had a sore arm again and some tiredness. My dad didn't get any reaction saved for a sore arm after the second dose while my mother had a headache and chills the day after her second dose.

Years
  • I got my first dose on April 13 and I got my second dose on April 27. First time I got the vaccine my arm was stinging the next day and I also had a headache. Second time I got the vaccine, again my arm was stinging the next day and my muscles also felt weak. The side effects I had lasted for a day.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Nope. Didn't get the jab, never going to get the jab.
    Respect your decision to up hold to your beliefs. Everyone has a valid point, but standing your ground on your bodily agency is important too. If you don't feel like you have enough information you should more learn what you can from professionals and adhere to wearing masks and social distance and eventually make the right decision for you.

I've gotten both Moderna shots which destroyed both my fiancé and I for both rounds of vaccinations. Numbness, vomiting, extreme lethargy, major body aches and chills. Felt like coming down after a week of benzos, lol.

Even with all the damn piercings and tattoos, the injection site I got 10 dats age on my left arm is still bruised and swollen. (¬д¬。)

Years
  • I've had both Pfizer vaccines and I VERY STRONGLY encourage everyone to get vaccinated if you're able to.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • But it's yet another 45 people over the course of 28 days. That is not a trial. That is not science. Trials last far longer than that and have a far greater sample size.

Indeed, that's why the actual Phase Three trials were tested on 43,000 people of several countries over four months, in the case of Pfizer (https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...ntech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine), 30,000 people over four months in the case of Moderna (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2035389), 24,000 people over seven months in the case of AstraZeneca (https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext) and 44,000 people over four months in the case of Janssen/J&J (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04505722).

The tests, incidentally, are still ongoing, with the University of Florida releasing recently an analysis of how they are going. The number of people who have had a severe illness or died from covid after getting their shots (of *any* vaccine) is still a big fat zero.

Again, you're free to take your own decisions. But if you base your decisions on untruths and fears that have no relation with objective reality, well, you're more likely to end up making the wrong decision. Which you're entitled to make, why of course.

Last edited:
    Back