• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you reached adulthood?

Have you reached adulthood?

• Yes

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • In some ways yes, in some ways no

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
  • I'm 22 and about to turn 23 in a couple months so I'm classified as an adult. My definition of an adult is someone that's of legal age but is independent and can take care of themselves. I've lived on my own where I had bills and responsibilities unlike a lot of adults in today's society. I had to budget my money very closely and had no one to help me, it was all on me. My sister whom just graduated high school has never left her parents house but she's going to a nearby college so I wouldn't classify her as an independent adult, but she is an adult. I don't see a problem with an adult living with parents going through college to better themselves but If your 25 still living with your parents mooching off them then I'd call you a child for not strapping up. I've lived on my own, with roommates, as well as with my parents. Atm I'm back with my parents but it's only a temporary thing, and just because I live with them doesn't mean I'm getting a free ride. I still have to pay for my own food, gas, insurance, phone, as well as $150 for rent every month, but that's only like 30% of my pay. I'm staying with them so I can save up money to move back to my hometown in January.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Going with YES.

23 - pretty much an adult everywhere now and although I may look a touch younger I think I look the part perhaps!
    stable job - yep
    living with mother - this is the only thing holding me back now.

overall I'm pretty much an adult tbh. I'd say I'm mature! Maybe that's a biased claim though heh.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I feel weird about the "I'm away at college so I'm an adult" line of thought, just because college often coddles you, especially if you're on campus. When I was on campus, I didn't need a car. I didn't need to cook, because there was a dining hall. I didn't need to pay rent or bills or worry about what to do if something breaks. It was like living with parents, with the only difference being that instead of my mom watching over me it was the school.

Of course, if you live off-campus it's a lot more of a grey area. I lived off campus senior year and I didn't feel like an adult because my mom still helped me out and all my money was from student aid basically. I also was living with my boyfriend who handled the finances and just took half from my account, which probably contributed because I wasn't handling it myself.

I'm starting to feel like an adult, I have my own place where I handle the bills, my mom is on my phone plan because of my half-off discount and we split the bill, I'm planning around vacation days and comparing health insurance plans. I think I'm adult in every practical sense of the word. Sometimes I feel very much like a kid when I talk to people in their 30s and older that treat me like a colleague, but I think that'll just take some getting used to.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    Hmm this is interesting....I have my own career/pay my own bills and such, but still live at my parent's place so I wonder if that means I'm not 'truly an adult'. At least by American standards. In other countries I know this sort of thing is very common until marriage.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
  • Being an adult is a state of mind, an optional one at that.

The day I can no longer get away with buying a childrens-ticket is the day I give up.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    In body? I certainly look like one.

In mind? Mmmmmmmno... The reason being is that for the most part, I'm mentally unstable. Because of that, I often see myself as a child trapped in an adult's body. Doesn't mean that I won't stop trying to be an adult in that perspective...

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
    Years
  • I'm in my early twenties, and have lived away from my parents in another city since I was 19 (and before that, I had a job since I was 14 and had to care for myself a lot). I'm studying full-time now, live with my gf, and have lived on the other side of the world for a year before, all on my own and with money I had saved on my own. So, age, responsibility and independence-wise, yeah, I've been an adult for a while.

Personality-wise? Nah, I'm an immature ass with a crude sense of humour. And I love it.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Not really, no. Mentally, I'm still very child-like. It's mostly due to the disabilities I have though. My brain is wired differently, so it's much harder for me to do things most people can do. I can't hold down a job or live on my own without support. So, I don't think I have or ever will reach full adulthood at this rate. D: I'm 26, btw.

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I thought this was an interesting question. Do you feel that you have reached adulthood?

What does it take to become a true adult? Is it turning 18 or 21? Finishing school? Moving out of your parents' home? Marriage? Anything else?

I'm excited to hear your answers!

Yes my mam say i becom handom young man sn so i take responsibiltys in more and mora an lokk after sis but idk maby littel somtime. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Actually, no, I haven't reached adulthood yet.

I can take care of myself, however. Sometimes I like to think that I'm mature for my age, but in reality I'm kind of childish. That isn't to say that I'm always childish. I can also be very patient and can keep a cool head when at other places.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I think marriage is the final deciding factor in becoming an adult, either that or having a kid. Once you start having to take care of someone besides yourself you're officially in your adult life.

I know I'm nowhere close to being an adult. I'm about 60/40 split, I wanna do the dew and make the money and drink the drinks but then I also want to watch cartoons and play games and cause drama and not have responsibility.

Back