• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

having a baby

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I recommend this thread locked. Abortion debate on a Pokemon forum? I don't like where that's headed.

Years
    I recommend this thread locked. Abortion debate on a Pokemon forum? I don't like where that's headed.

well, this is Other chat. anything can be said here.

anyways,m i myself would never put a girl in that situation. but if it somehow were to happen, i would go with whatever she wanted, and be the responsible father. though, i only want kids when im an adult.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    well, this is Other chat. anything can be said here.

anyways,m i myself would never put a girl in that situation. but if it somehow were to happen, i would go with whatever she wanted, and be the responsible father. though, i only want kids when im an adult.
    I wouldn't know. This is actually the first time I've come this far down in the forum. =\

If people can remain civil, then discuss all you like. I just have horror stories of people not being able to remain civil.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    If the child is sickly and wouldn't live long, it's better not to make them go through a miserable life like that. Being underage, though, it's still about responsibility. We shouldn't let small babies not even born yet; not fully developed, just....kill them? I think not.

I agree with this point more than anything.

Let me share a secret. I'm the product of a difficult pregnancy. When my mother was carrying me, I was given a 5% chance of survival, and she was given somewhere around 30%. Even though her doctor advised that she get me aborted, she refused. You could argue that she was being selfish because I know my mom and there's nothing she loves in this world more than being a mother. It wasn't an easy decision for her, and it was even harder for my dad to accept it. She went through with her pregnancy putting 100% faith in God, and lo and behold, I was born. I was undersized and had only one functional lung, but I was born. Now I may not be a shining example of happiness and joy today, but I am thankful for having life, knowing everything that my parents went through during my birth. I'm aware that I may be coming off a little like a Christian missionary, but my point is, you can't give up on a life, even if doctors tell you that it's a lost cause. Miracles do happen, and abortion is never the answer.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I'd get an abortion. I am in no way capable of raising a child, and who knows what nut the kid would end up with?

...that isn't to say that I get pregnant all the time just to terminate the pregnancy for fun. Not that that's possible at this point in my life, but I'd always make sure to be responsible.

EDIT:

Miracles do happen, and abortion is never the answer.
    Sorry, just read this post and had to respond. I think your story is a very beautiful one and I admire both your conviction and the courage of your parents a whole lot. I know we have different views, and I have my reasons, but I just had to say something. I wish your family all the luck in the world, because it sounds like you guys deserve it. ^^

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Miracles do happen, and abortion is never the answer.

Just thought I'd respond to this. YES, miracles do happen. But it was just luck(no pun intended) that you were conceived. I don't agree with your last statement. Abortion isn't always the answer, but in some situations, it is the only logical conclusion. Pregnant women don't abort for the lulz. And adoption wouldn't be that great either. There are already orphanages up to their neck in kids, and there is no way that you can rely on people in this cruel world we live in.
    To end this, miracles can happen, but when it is impossible to take the fetus out of the fallopian tube as of now, miracles won't support you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    The only reason I am living in a healthy environment today is because my mother aborted when she was younger and wasn't able to have kids, so she decided to adopt me. She's fostered several underprivileged children like myself, and if I ended up being just another unwanted child living in the slums where I was found, I don't know if I would want to be alive. (Edit: I started tearing up after I posted this, because tomorrow's my birthday and I've never been so grateful for my mother. ): )

Btw, no one is pro-abortion (that I know of)...they're pro-choice. I'm an avid supporter of human rights and there is an extensive amount of situations one should consider in a topic such as this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    If, in some crazy/deranged way, I got a sex change and had a baby. My parents would obviously kill me, while doing their best to help me support it. I don't think abortions are the best way to deal with an unborn baby, imo... :(

Years
    That's why YOU get to choose from couples who' would be best at raising your child.
    I think it's irresponsible and selfish to assume that you can always give a baby up for adoption. Someone else will take care of it? Yeah. Sure.

Contrary to what many may think, there are not lines of caring, childless couples around every corner. There just aren't. Gay couples and people who are single also have a harder time adopting (or are outright prevented in some places). The baby will most likely go into foster care where it can be like a cat in a pet store waiting for someone to take it home. If the baby has birth defects it's less "valuable" to some prospective parents (or just not feasible to someone who would take care of a special needs baby but can't afford to) further lowering the chances of adoption. Lots of kids end up in foster care without long-term parents or homes and the older a kid gets the harder it is for them to be adopted. There are plenty of other issues that don't need going into, but suffice it to say that kids put up for adoption can have tough, unloved lives.

So, which is more irresponsible, having an abortion or giving a baby up for adoption? It's a matter of circumstances. If you find yourself pregnant, not likely to have complications, not minding going through with the pregnancy for nine months, and there is a tender and well-off couple at your bedside waiting to adopt the moment that baby pops out then, yes, adoption is probably your best bet. For everyone else it isn't so clear cut.

And for the record, I would abort.

Years
    I think it's irresponsible and selfish to assume that you can always give a baby up for adoption. Someone else will take care of it? Yeah. Sure.

Contrary to what many may think, there are not lines of caring, childless couples around every corner. There just aren't. Gay couples and people who are single also have a harder time adopting (or are outright prevented in some places). The baby will most likely go into foster care where it can be like a cat in a pet store waiting for someone to take it home. If the baby has birth defects it's less "valuable" to some prospective parents (or just not feasible to someone who would take care of a special needs baby but can't afford to) further lowering the chances of adoption. Lots of kids end up in foster care without long-term parents or homes and the older a kid gets the harder it is for them to be adopted. There are plenty of other issues that don't need going into, but suffice it to say that kids put up for adoption can have tough, unloved lives.

So, which is more irresponsible, having an abortion or giving a baby up for adoption? It's a matter of circumstances. If you find yourself pregnant, not likely to have complications, not minding going through with the pregnancy for nine months, and there is a tender and well-off couple at your bedside waiting to adopt the moment that baby pops out then, yes, adoption is probably your best bet. For everyone else it isn't so clear cut.

And for the record, I would abort.

Well, contrary to what you say, I think it's waaaay more selfish and irresponsible to abort a baby.

No one said you can just put a baby out there. It takes a lot of thoughts and tears to put a baby up for adoption. More than you think. While, yes, some children may not find a home for specific reasons, it's the selfishness and judgmental approach of the people, while others spend their lives caring for these outcasts. But for me living a life is better than not. Only if I were so sure that my child was going to die of disease early would I find a reason to abort my child. Some foster kids are so underprivileged it's horrific to think about, but what would you do, just let them get shot? You don't just have yourself guess at what will happen if you don't know. Lots of people are looking for babies to take care of. Less, for older children. The point is, someone out there is waiting for that one child to turn up.

Lastly, People don't give up babies too easy for adoption, don't consider it being there to give it away "when it pops out". And just cuz you're giving your baby up, doesn't make the kids underprivileged. In fact, it makes the kid more privileged because the reason for putting a baby up for adoption is because you can't raise the child in that environment. Adoption is way better for everyone despite what the person said before me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well, contrary to what you say, I think it's waaaay more selfish and irresponsible to abort a baby.

No one said you can just put a baby out there. It takes a lot of thoughts and tears to put a baby up for adoption. More than you think. While, yes, some children may not find a home for specific reasons, it's the selfishness and judgmental approach of the people, while others spend their lives caring for these outcasts. But for me living a life is better than not. Only if I were so sure that my child was going to die of disease early would I find a reason to abort my child. Some foster kids are so underprivileged it's horrific to think about, but what would you do, just let them get shot? You don't just have yourself guess at what will happen if you don't know. Lots of people are looking for babies to take care of. Less, for older children. The point is, someone out there is waiting for that one child to turn up.

Lastly, People don't give up babies too easy for adoption, don't consider it being there to give it away "when it pops out". And just cuz you're giving your baby up, doesn't make the kids underprivileged. In fact, it makes the kid more privileged because the reason for putting a baby up for adoption is because you can't raise the child in that environment. Adoption is way better for everyone despite what the person said before me.

He already said it was a matter of circumstances. Of course, it usually is better when babies are adopted, but when the baby will suffer its whole life, I'd think you would just make it easier. Please though, tell me how it is irresponsible to abort a baby. The parents try to do what is better for the baby. If they refuse to give it up for adoption because of the sickening world out there, and don't have enough money to give the baby a good job, then they will have an abortion. It isn't selfish if you care for the baby more than yourself.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years

He already said it was a matter of circumstances. Of course, it usually is better when babies are adopted, but when the baby will suffer its whole life, I'd think you would just make it easier. Please though, tell me how it is irresponsible to abort a baby. The parents try to do what is better for the baby. If they refuse to give it up for adoption because of the sickening world out there, and don't have enough money to give the baby a good job, then they will have an abortion. It isn't selfish if you care for the baby more than yourself.

The way I see it, given the choice between abortion and adoption, neither are significantly more responsible than the other. In fact, it's irresponsibility that puts people in the position to have to make this choice. Adoption gives the child the chance to actually live while abortion denies them that simple right. True, there is the likelihood that the child will stay in an orphanage until they're 18, but they've still got their life if nothing else.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Although I seriously believe that two should not have a baby if they cannot financially support one, I would keep and raise my baby.

My mom considered aborting me (well, us, as I'm a twin). Now if she went through with abortion because it was a "bad" time or whatever excuse, well, no one would know me today as I wouldn't exist. I have family and friends and I turned out fine, right. I may not have many toys, eat a lot, or have a quiet or safe environment to live in, but I turned out fine, right. :>

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Assuming it was unwanted and I had the ability to have children (meaning if I was of the opposite sex):

1. I wouldn't be able to end the life of another human being, so adoption is completely out of the question. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing something that was once part of me and that I helped create was killed.
    2. If I didn't have the money to raise I child, I would first (before they were born) look for possible solutions to my financial problem.
    3. If I found a solution to the problem, I would have the child and raise it with my family supporting me (not financially, unless I was in dire need of help).
    4. If I did not find a solution to the problem, I would take the time to find a family who was looking to adopt. I wouldn't want my child to be placed somewhere where I wasn't able to know that they were safe.
    5. If I chose to give it up for an adoption, the family would need to be one who realized that I am the mother and have an open relationship with me and allow me to see my child as it grew up, having them know that they were adopted when they were born.

Now, if I got someone else pregnant, I would support any decision they have as I believe (despite the fact that both a man and a woman are responsible for the creation of the baby) the woman should be the one with the ultimate decision.

Years

Well, to settle it, abortion is just like getting rid of a child. Adoption is you want the kid to have a life and it's better off being with another family. In other words, you CARE what happens to your child. Besides, the world IS fairly cruel, but that's what the media portrays it to be. There's actually more good in the world, think about it, did you ever have all your friends get shot? It's not that cruel although still rough. What else will you work on though? Aren't we all building up to cope with the real world? What I'm saying is, if foster cared for, (which usually isn't in the slums or in the ghetto) it will make them strong to have strength to fight. That's what you want, thoguh, right? Your kids to be stronger than what you ever were? Abortion, though a tough decision, is an easier way out. You'll never know what they would've become, or what they'd be like. We want the best for our descendants, do we not?

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well, to settle it, abortion is just like getting rid of a child. Adoption is you want the kid to have a life and it's better off being with another family. In other words, you CARE what happens to your child. Besides, the world IS fairly cruel, but that's what the media portrays it to be. There's actually more good in the world, think about it, did you ever have all your friends get shot? It's not that cruel although still rough. What else will you work on though? Aren't we all building up to cope with the real world? What I'm saying is, if foster cared for, (which usually isn't in the slums or in the ghetto) it will make them strong to have strength to fight. That's what you want, thoguh, right? Your kids to be stronger than what you ever were? Abortion, though a tough decision, is an easier way out. You'll never know what they would've become, or what they'd be like. We want the best for our descendants, do we not?

Indeed, who wouldn't?
    But there are many risks in pregnancy. Although a baby may soon be conceived, it can actually get strangled by its own umbilical cord. And abortion isn't really like getting rid of a child. Unlike a child, a fetus isn't conscious of it's existence, and it doesn't have a social life or feelings. But this discussion is really irritating me because this focuses on your views of morals and moral standards. I don't like discussing philosophy, because it cannot be supported by science. These damned hypothetical threads.

Years

Indeed, who wouldn't?
    But there are many risks in pregnancy. Although a baby may soon be conceived, it can actually get strangled by its own umbilical cord. And abortion isn't really like getting rid of a child. Unlike a child, a fetus isn't conscious of it's existence, and it doesn't have a social life or feelings. But this discussion is really irritating me because this focuses on your views of morals and moral standards. I don't like discussing philosophy, because it cannot be supported by science. These damned hypothetical threads.

Well, I guess, what you're saying is moral is ...... bad? I'm not the most moral, goody-goody person you'll ever meet but I have 1 last point to make. The same people who are for abortion are the same people who don't believe in the death sentence, hypocritical much? Like you'll kill these innocent lives, but you refuse to kill off the guilty, evil ones.

Back