• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Heavy Metal Rock

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
    I could go on about Hard rock, Heavy Metal, and all sorta of music in that kind of genre.

The main artists that I enjoy that come to minf are Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, and Alice in Chains

Years
    @ インフェルノの津波: you might like this if you're starting into get into heavier rock sort of stuff. They're from Japan (and instrumental, but so crazy the drum beats in their songs).

I don't really listen to any metal anymore, but I listen to some rock that could be considered heavier than normal rock, or at least alternative. One was the band I linked the OP to above, Lite. La Dispute and Every Time I Die are the two bands on my iPod with lots of screaming in them. I don't listen to much heavy stuff anymore, unless you count noise-rock/noise-pop as heavy.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I can link you to a decent variety of songs that I enjoy. Since you posted in Other Entertainment, and not the Japanese section, I'm assuming you're okay with English too. These are all heavy metal though, not rock.

A few Iron Attack (Metal Touhou remixes) songs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHF4Dr04tIA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJr6aSwYsPc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO0Y4Wpi-UI

Vocarock (I'll just link a playlist for a whole album):
    https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E6284201534C9BF6 (The first one is like, all screamo, so you may not like that one. The 2nd is my favorite.)

Various English Songs that no one but me has heard of because I don't listen to popular bands for some reason:

I'm sure you already know of High and Mighty color, but if not, they're really good too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm not totally sure what you mean; hard rock and heavy metal are two different things. Could you give an example of a band or song you're referring to?

I listen to some hard rock, usually old school classics like Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Rush; I do enjoy Them Crooked Vultures though, which are more recent. My interest in it has wavered throughout 2010 though.

I listen to various types of metal, it's a broad genre. The only true heavy metal band I listen to, is Black Sabbath. The rest are different sub-genres of metal.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Well, I don't personally listen to them, but I do hear a lot about Boredoms, Melt-Banana, Dir En Grey and the GazettE. They're all Japanese, so maybe you will enjoy them.

I'm not really into Japanese music much any more, but I do enjoy Versailles (power/symphonic metal) occasionally.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    I listen to some hard rock, usually old school classics like Pink Floyd
    lol Pink Floyd is not hard rock.

As far as hard rock goes, I have the standard Alice in Chains/Soundgarden grunge duo, in addition to Screaming Trees and Temple of the Dog. I also have A Perfect Circle, Queens of the Stone Age, and Audioslave. It's not a genre I go out of my to get more of (unless it's grunge).

Heavy metal is too broad a genre to really bother with, since any metal could be heavy metal if your argument is good enough.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    lol Pink Floyd is not hard rock.
    Listen to this or this, and tell me that's not hard rock, also much of The Wall. Obviously they're progressive rock first, but just because a band is mainly categorised in one genre doesn't mean they're exempt from being put into another. If you want to say that, then I could say that grunge =/= hard rock.

Last edited:

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    The only j-rock band that I've listened to before is X Japan. I'm not into the J-whatever thing.

Mostly I tune into some death and thrash metal. Not anything "-core" which is why I'm proud to say that Lamb of God is my guilty pleasure. Their live shows are just awesome.

Meshuggah is probably my favorite metal band. They're so good that they don't have a proper sub-genre to be put into (yes, I'm speaking to all you genre nerds out there).

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    Listen to this or this, and tell me that's not hard rock, also much of The Wall. Obviously they're progressive rock first, but just because a band is mainly categorised in one genre doesn't mean they're exempt from being put into another.
    Ok so Opeth is classical because of Patterns in the Ivy, and Gojira is prog rock because of Unicorn, right? Hell Opeth even has an entire album which is prog rock and they are still classified as a prog death metal band. Just because a band can have a few songs which stray outside of their normal genre doesn't mean they are labeled as such.
    If you want to say that, then I could say that grunge =/= hard rock.
    Ok you caught me, grunge is only essentially the line between hard rock and alt rock, and how fine is that line again?

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Black Sabbath have some good songs, but I never really got into them.
    The only Heavy Metal band I've really gotten into is Iron Maiden <3 They are awesome.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Ok so Opeth is classical because of Patterns in the Ivy, and Gojira is prog rock because of Unicorn, right? Hell Opeth even has an entire album which is prog rock and they are still classified as a prog death metal band. Just because a band can have a few songs which stray outside of their normal genre doesn't mean they are labeled as such.
    Your examples are pretty extreme seeing as classical is a very specific genre. Hard rock is a very broad term and is only really defined by the use of more heavily distorted guitars in a rock band, and Pink Floyd have that. Many songs from the Syd Barrett years, quite a few from all the pre-DSotM albums, all the riffs from Animals, most of the songs from The Wall and most of the songs from The Final Cut, could all be defined as hard rock. If you strip away all the progressive rock elements, what is left is hard rock. Just because they add all of the progressive elements doesn't mean they're no longer hard rock at all.

Ok you caught me, grunge is only essentially the line between hard rock and alt rock, and how fine is that line again?
    No finer than the line you're drawing. But I don't think there's any need to be so closed minded when applying genres, they are only labels after all, and music is so diverse that labels serve little purpose; only to categorise them for some convenience, rather than define the precise type of music they play, because there are so many variations within genres anyway. Especially really loose genres, like hard rock.

Years
    Alice in Chains. Probably the best Hard Rock band you could listen to.
    In addition to that, Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog are good alternatives. Mad Season is also pretty good.

Years
    I am very much into my metal + heavy metal.
    Lamb Of God, Machine Head, Fellsilent, Pantera, No Consequence, Evita, Mastodon, Parkway Drive... I could go on.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    I am very much into my metal + heavy metal.
    Lamb Of God, Machine Head, Fellsilent, Pantera, No Consequence, Evita, Mastodon, Parkway Drive... I could go on.

Why did Dimebag have to die? Whyyyyyy ;_;
    He played the guitar awesomely well. I'm not that big of a Pantera fan, I only like some of their songs, but that guy and his guitar... awesome. Just awesome.

About the other bands, I only know Lamb of God and Machine Head. I'm not much of a Lamb of God fan (too heavy ;( ) and about Machine Head... I only like one of their songs (Halo).

But I can see you're into Thrash Metal.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years

He played the guitar awesomely well. I'm not that big of a Pantera fan, I only like some of their songs, but that guy and his guitar... awesome. Just awesome.

About the other bands, I only know Lamb of God and Machine Head. I'm not much of a Lamb of God fan (too heavy ;( ) and about Machine Head... I only like one of their songs (Halo).

Thrash is awesome, but Lamb of God is not Thrash.

And Dimebag...............don't get me started. Just don't get me started. I got a feeling I'm still one of the biggest metal heads here, and.......Dimebag and Pantera just changed they way I look at Metal.
    As for your earlier comment on Iron Maiden, they are awesome too. They are the kings of Epic Metal. Hands down. I don't think anyone can produce quality long metal songs like they can.

Some of you may say Metallica isn't as they once were, and I used to be into them, hardcore-like. I still enjoy Metallica, and ignore what most people have to say as far as how they aren't the same (all bands change sound through time, some people just can't let go of the past).

If you want a cult rock band that you probably WON'T like but you should check out anyway, go look up the Wesley Willis Fiasco on youtube.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I love metalcore. Some people say it's not really metal, and I kinda agree. It's not like thrash, NWOBHO or anything like that.

Most people associate metalcore with emo, which is rightfully so.

Years

I do like my head banging music :P
    You should check out Mastodon, they are very good heavy rock band. Not really heavy.

And Dimebag's death was tragic. I had a full day of pantera and damageplan on the 8th of December just gone.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    You should check out Mastodon, they are very good heavy rock band. Not really heavy.
    Well it depends on what you get. If you get anything pre-Crack the Skye it's much heavier, although even Crack the Skye has its heavy moments.

Back