• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Heavy Metal Rock

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Yeah I know Lamb of God is more Metalcore than Thrash Metal, but they're not very diffferent. Though Metalcore is too heavy for me and I don't like it. And I don't think it's really emo... some friends of mine have showed me some Lamb of God songs and I don't think it's emo at all. Dunno about other bands though. About Thrash Metal... there's some good sounds, but overall is meh for me.

About Metallica, they're "lighter" than what they used to be, but I think they're still good.
    Other bands like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath (which is Heavy Metal btw, not really Hard Rock) seem to be good, from the few songs I've heard of them. Maybe I'll look harder into these two.

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Black Sabbath, The Obsessed, Boris, Electric Wizard, Megadeth, Melvins, TAD, Alice In Chains, Mastodon, Faith No More and Acid Bath are all pretty fantastic metal bands. When it comes to hard rock I listen to quite a lot, stuff like Soundgarden, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd etc.

Years
    Well it depends on what you get. If you get anything pre-Crack the Skye it's much heavier, although even Crack the Skye has its heavy moments.

Well, for me it isn't that heavy, because I listen to a lot heavier stuff XDDDDD.

Crack the Skye is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time :3

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
    Ozzy and Black Sabbath is good, but to me it's a little overrated. People will say "Black Sabbath AWeSOME!" and blast some overplayed song like Iron Man (which I think sucks) or War Pigs, and I'm thinking, go on with your bad self. I don't have a problem with Black Sabbath or Ozzy, they're very talented and all but.........not my thing. Black Sabbath's song for me is Children of the Grave.

Crack the Skye was an awesome album. Mastadon is kinda cool, but they need to improve live performances. I saw them open for Alice in Chains in October, and was not that impressed.

I'll go ahead and bring another band into the arena, GNR (Guns N Roses). This is another band which I don't understand where the fans come from. People will call these guys the best band ever and blast one album. Appetite for Destruction. I mean it's a good album, but overplayed. I enjoy GNR but not hardcore.

I mean today, I just watched the Live DVD of the Big FOur of Thrash Metal (Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica) do one of their recent concerts today. The concert was in Bulgaria.

And I was having one hell of a time listening to these bands that have been around for almost 30 years now, and still bringing the Metal sound they made it so big for us. If that makes sense. My point is, they kicked some serious @$$. I was watching them all perform, and I was thinking, and fans of Ozzy, GNR, Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse ( I HATE THIS BAND WITH A PASSION), and other weird bands say their bands kick this music's butt.

No one can thrash as good as Slayer or Anthrax, no one can play melodic thrash as good as Megadeth and Metallica.

Combined, these bands are epic in my book. And watching them play this concert made me think that those people who compare the bands (like those who say Megadeth is better than Metallica or whatever) need to stop. Because in my book, their point is wasted. The bands kick butt as a whole.

Wow I did not intend to type this much..........I love Metal.

SamuraiMaster

Years
    Noooo, War Pigs is awesome. It's Paranoid and Iron Man that sucks.

Sorry dude, but War Pigs kinda died after Guitar Hero fans overplayed it. It was cool, but now it's just kinda dimming down in me. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me, but......meh.

This song currently is stuck in my head. Slayer is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUe1nv4gIk

Years
    Why did Dimebag have to die? Whyyyyyy ;_;
    He played the guitar awesomely well. I'm not that big of a Pantera fan, I only like some of their songs, but that guy and his guitar... awesome. Just awesome.
    There are some sick people in the world that do things without thinking. Your favorite band breaks up so in return you're going to kill their guitarist? That doesn't show them, it just hurts everybody else.
    And, I hate it that his death is overshadowed by John Lennon's. That's probably because I live 15 Minutes from NYC and his death is a huge deal around here.
    Dimebag was one of the best, if not, the best guitarist of the Heavy Metal. Him and Kirk.

SamuraiMaster

Years
    There are some sick people in the world that do things without thinking. Your favorite band breaks up so in return you're going to kill their guitarist? That doesn't show them, it just hurts everybody else.
    And, I hate it that his death is overshadowed by John Lennon's. That's probably because I live 15 Minutes from NYC and his death is a huge deal around here.
    Dimebag was one of the best, if not, the best guitarist of the Heavy Metal. Him and Kirk.

I'm a fan of Metallica, but I'm not that big a fan of Kirk. I believe Hetfield is much better. And Dave Mustaine is much better than both of them if you ask me. But hey, we all got opinions. Dime was better than any of them.

Years
    Ozzy and Black Sabbath is good, but to me it's a little overrated. People will say "Black Sabbath AWeSOME!" and blast some overplayed song like Iron Man (which I think sucks) or War Pigs, and I'm thinking, go on with your bad self. I don't have a problem with Black Sabbath or Ozzy, they're very talented and all but.........not my thing. Black Sabbath's song for me is Children of the Grave.
    A lot of people will listen to 2 popular songs and ignore what a band has to offer. Wicked World, Changes, there are other good songs.
    I'll go ahead and bring another band into the arena, GNR (Guns N Roses). This is another band which I don't understand where the fans come from. People will call these guys the best band ever and blast one album. Appetite for Destruction. I mean it's a good album, but overplayed. I enjoy GNR but not hardcore.
    I'm a gunners fan. Like a lot of other people. Appetite for Destruction had a totally different vibe to the other albums, which a lot of people liked. There was a lot of good material on it because GNR was big before their album was even released. Nevertheless, the more musically advanced stuff was on Use Your Illusion I and II. That's where they brought in melodic Rock Ballads and really showed their ability. Stuff like Breakdown, Locomotive, Don't Damn Me and Estranged were a step up from the raw and heavier AfD.

There's a lot more to them.

By the way, be very careful talking about "uniting metal", etc. You risk being associated with the "METAL RULZ LETZ KIL JUSTN BEIRRBER!!!!!" mentality that is doing the rounds.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Sorry dude, but War Pigs kinda died after Guitar Hero fans overplayed it. It was cool, but now it's just kinda dimming down in me. Whatever floats your boat is fine with me, but......meh.

"if a song is on Guitar Hero it becomes bad" what is this I don't even.

I like Iron Man too.

But there's a lot more to Black Sabbath than just the Paranoid album (like what Archer said about GNR) Sabbath have 18 albums. There's a lot more than just Iron Man and "that song on Guitar Hero". For me, their debut album is their best. Heavy metal owes a lot to them.

SamuraiMaster

Years
    I'm not saying that's all there is, I'm bringing into play what their fans overplay. I enjoy GNR's Illusion albums, hell I even enjoy their Chinese Democracy album to an extent.

And I enjoy Sabbath when I hear it, but when you hear so much of the same song so much, you begin to think 'change the song already.' I'm not saying if it's on GH it automatically dies either, because if that were true, Metallica would be long dead in my view.

Perhaps it would somewhat help me to say, I'm not always the biggest fan of singles. I try to enjoy less popular songs. One example is Ozzy's "You Can't Kill Rock 'N Roll." I think that song is amazing. But you never hear Ozzy fans blast that song. At least none that I hear anyway...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    It's true. Everyone liked Dragonforce until they got a song on Guitar hero. After that, it became popular to hate them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It's true. Everyone liked Dragonforce until they got a song on Guitar hero. After that, it became popular to hate them.
    Dragonforce have never been good, there's been dislike for them since the beginning. Most of the people that were fans before Guitar Hero are still fans now. They've never been regarded as very talented, at least by people who actually know about music. I'm not saying it's bad to like Dragonforce, I listen to my fair share of crap music too, but it's still fun to listen to. I just think it's sad that people will change their opinions on a song because it appears in a video game, or if it becomes popular/unpopular. Popularity =/= talent; talent =/= enjoyability; popularity =/= enjoyability.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    Dragonforce have never been good, there's been dislike for them since the beginning. Most of the people that were fans before Guitar Hero are still fans now. They've never been regarded as very talented, at least by people who actually know about music. I'm not saying it's bad to like Dragonforce, I listen to my fair share of crap music too, but it's still fun to listen to. I just think it's sad that people will change their opinions on a song because it appears in a video game, or if it becomes popular/unpopular. Popularity =/= talent; talent =/= enjoyability; popularity =/= enjoyability.

Sadly, it's "cool" to hate the mainstream [in this case music] these days. Funny how they hate "the masses" because there are several people who think the same they [the other "anti-mainstream" people] do. This is why I hate indie/"alternative" culture thing. Alternative to what? If anything, they are AS sheep like or even MORE.
    I refuse to associate myself with such people. Elitism is not a good trait, y'know.

SamuraiMaster

Years
    I don't hate mainstream because I think it's cool to hate mainstream. I hate mainstream, because mainstream music sucks. Mostly because most Mainstream stuff I hear nowadays is crap pop that everyone seems to get a kick out of.

I'm okay with some Mainstream Metal/Rock, because, well Metallica saved my life, and Rock music is just awesome. (Yes, Metallia saved my life, long story short)

Dragonforce is so so with me. They are kinda cool, but there's more to music than insane guitar tapping and 5 minute long solos that aren't even that thought up or good.

Okay another thing I throw into the arena. I hate, and I mean I HATE people that hate certain bands due to accusations of selling out. I still don't get it. Yeah Metallica is in a video game. And have done some stuff normally you wouldn't do, but if someone was offering you big bucks to do something kinda normal like that, you'd do it too.

Years

I didn't mind dragonforce when they first came out, and I mean their first songs, but when I listened back to them before they were on GH or anything like that, all I could hear was just horrible guitar crap that was just plain horrible compared to other bands I was listening to.

After that, I just never listened to them. I do listen to a new album that comes out, but so far, they are, some how, getting worse.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    QFT. Next thing you know people will start saying that Sultans of Swing, Vicarious, Schism and other awesome GH songs suck.

Years
    I realise I'm shamelessly plugging here, but I wonder if anyone listens to Alter Bridge? The style is incredible, plus the singer carries them to a whole new level.

Back