• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hell of a Life

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • What do you imagine life as a Pokemon Trainer would actually be like?

In nearly all iterations of the franchise, trainers have seemed to have relatively good lives, for the most part. There are no complaints from the protagonist in each of the gaming series, and the anime characters never really complain about their surroundings in their quest to be Pokemon Master or whatever vague title there is.

But if Pokemon were real, surely there'd be more things to complain about? Finding suitable accommodation for each new town/city to travel to; there'd certainly be more public transport, and transport issues in general; and then there's the matter of funding one's travels: taking half of an unsuccessful opponent's money upon victory seems ultimately barbaric when applied to the real world. I dunno... life for a Pokemon trainer feels very Hobbesian to me: nasty, brutish and short. But what does everyone else think? :D

(KWC #9)

Years
  • It would definitively be rather difficult. If we got over all the initial issues regarding a reality with Pokemon, I seriously doubt that there'd be many trainers. Spending days wondering throughout the wilderness with a tiny backpack, limited money, no bathroom, etc. doesn't sound like much fun.

However, traveling makes for a good RPG. If this was real, Pokemon Trainers would be a lot more stationary. Still, it takes quite a bit of time to teach an animal a command. Pokemon have been shown to be somewhat similar in the anime. It'd be a tad bit frustrating to spend a month or two trying to teach a Pokemon one move.

Last edited:

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Actually, if Pokemon were real, I think I'd be one of the first to hop on the train to get my first Pokemon. Honestly, traveling around and wandering the wilderness sounds fun. Maybe it's because I'm weird, but that appeals to me.

It would definitely be a hard life. I mean walking all day at the mall is one thing, but biking through mountainous terrain or hiking through the woods is another. It's physically draining and I'd imagine you'd be hungry half the time, unless you're a nifty boy scout or something.

I'll agree with Kirbychu on trainers being stationary; that sounds a lot more realistic nowadays. I don't imagine a lot of people wanting to go out and explore, though there could be a select few. Pokemon battling could probably be like a game of basketball, where you just go in stadiums and enter tournaments, minus the travel.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Actually, if Pokemon were real, I think I'd be one of the first to hop on the train to get my first Pokemon. Honestly, traveling around and wandering the wilderness sounds fun. Maybe it's because I'm weird, but that appeals to me.

It would definitely be a hard life. I mean walking all day at the mall is one thing, but biking through mountainous terrain or hiking through the woods is another. It's physically draining and I'd imagine you'd be hungry half the time, unless you're a nifty boy scout or something.

I'll agree with Kirbychu on trainers being stationary; that sounds a lot more realistic nowadays. I don't imagine a lot of people wanting to go out and explore, though there could be a select few. Pokemon battling could probably be like a game of basketball, where you just go in stadiums and enter tournaments, minus the travel.

Most people tend to say that, but I highly it's true just because...you technically have the option to travel the wilderness now if you wanted, but I'm pretty sure most people that say they would become a trainer choose not to for whatever reason.

I think if it was the real world training would require more education than in their universe. Pokemon college?

AtavanHalen343

Dacaytus, one of my sprites.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    I think one of the biggest things would be this: how dangerous would the pokemon be? You know, an Ursaring mauling a trainer could be potentially deadly, not to mention all of the other dangerous pokemon. I think that it'd be for adrenaline junkies, in a way.

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Relient K - Pressing On

I think we're approaching this question incorrectly. Right now we're trying to apply what we know about our daily lives, in our reality, to what would be another world entirely. If Pokémon were part of an alternate universe, seeing as they have more intelligence as a whole than our wildlife and can communicate with us more coherently, I'm sure there would me much more incentive to protecting their existence--aka "Greenies." (←This was in no way meant to be derogatory.)

Also, Pokémon would be a much larger part of our everyday activities due to their abilities. And with said powers, travelling across the globe becomes more feasible than one might first assume. Remember, we're not talking about if Pokémon suddenly popped up in our universe with all of it's prior incentives and mindsets derived from a completely different history, but a world in which these guys were always part of the equation to influence our decisions.

=

Personally, I'd thoroughly enjoy the journey of a Pokémon trainer; I like the sense of openness and purpose. Sure, there'd be a lot more strenuous activities and challenges, but when going through such activities daily, it's more than likely that they wouldn't be considered something to complain about.

Last edited:

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I think we're approaching this question incorrectly. Right now we're trying to apply what we know about our daily lives, in our reality, to what would be another world entirely.

Honestly, even if in a Pokemon world where this stuff is accepted, my moral compass would still lead me to treat Dragonite (my favorite Pokémon ever. Whooooooo!) like a house pet. A house pet that can fire Hyper Beams that would destroy a tank, of course.

If Pokémon were real, I doubt we'd see them any less than we see our dogs, cats, birds, snakes, etc., what have you. We'd see them as friends, and I, for one, sure as hell wouldn't make my friend fight so that I could attain the title of a "Master."

Mechanic

Shin!~ hohohohoho!~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Pokemon being real and adventures of sorts???

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo there right now :D

Maybe as Psyanic says we are just weird for wanting to do something like this but it is what is and it's a long dream of mine, plus i don't mind the wilderness, walking, roughness, i know i can survive one step at a time and i prefer that feeling that i gotta keep on pushing to get my goals instead of whereas the city most of the things are for granted, i'll be sincere i just want Officer Jenny to pull me over :P But that's also part of it.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    It's not easy to simply put the Pokemon world into our world right now. I mean, with criminals and all, they would take advantage of Pokemon for whatever reason. And yes, there are also people who would probably enslave Pokemon because they are lazy. One does not simply *shot*

On the topic itself, trainers in our world would need higher education to know what Pokemon does and what they really are. They aren't just animals, they're much more than that!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    It would probably be harder than the show makes it out to be lol, definitely. I think I'd enjoy most to be in a Pokémon school first, before setting out a journey with friends I made there, and acquire a bike as soon as possible haha.

Years
  • As far as transport goes, I would definitely have a Pokemon on my team that could fly and use that as my main method of transport. Having something to ride on land and sea could be beneficial too. Early on that's not going to be too feasible as a trainer starts off with basic Pokemon, so that's when things will be most difficult. It would certainly be a tough life.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I for one would not venture on a Pokemon journey without one of my trusted companions being of the 17-foot long, 4,000-pound, 4-door, 8-cylinder variety. And not without a network of major chain hotels and restaurants to serve my needs.

Give me my Buick Roadmaster, my Denny's restaurants, and my Quality Inn hotels, however, and I'd be much more inclined to take a Pokemon journey. But on foot, having to prepare my own meals and sleeping out in the wilderness? No way,

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • I'd have gripes about backpacking; I'd have to be really careful with handling my bag, as there are flasks of potions and other fragile stuff. Waiting for the queue in a Poke-Center, and having to stock up more potions, feels like a chore already. Not to mention the puzzles in gyms; fatigue would probably set in from pushing all those rocks or sliding aimlessly on the ice. There's the whole swapping Pokemon in-and-out, of course, which makes battles seem more business than fun, making me bitter in the process.

TLDR It's a full-time job. :(

Years
  • I think it would be a lot of fun. But very hard. I have a Rednose American Pittbull Terrier and I call him Houndour sometimes. If Pokemon were real, that's what he'd be. It's hard enough to train a dog let alone teach it how to breathe fire.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I think it would be a lot of fun. But very hard. I have a Rednose American Pittbull Terrier and I call him Houndour sometimes. If Pokemon were real, that's what he'd be. It's hard enough to train a dog let alone teach it how to breathe fire.

Lol Never give up! I used to say that about my pet guinea pig! Just look at him now!

*douses flaming funature with water*

SapphireFlames

I am... A POKEMON MASTER!!!!!
    Years
  • If I were going on an adventure, I'd go to pokemon school first, then either get a real starter or get an older friend or something to help me get a non-starter. Then I'd go on an adventure with a friend on the same age level.

Years
  • I think that in the scenario A, Pokemon jump in our world, they should be treated like every other animal, treat them wrong and they'll be bad to you, treat them nice and they'll be nice (or indifferent) to you.

And in the scenario B, world like ours but that had Pokemon from the start, tehy would be treated with more care, some even as house pets. There would be crooks? Yes, there would; but there would also be the police.

It's a bit subjective really
    But again, I'd find a Sableye and have it as a pet ASAP if this happened :3

Lucariland

Uchiha
    Years
  • I have been thinking a lot about this actually! I think it sounds great! Sound like adventure, just trying to beat Gyms, train together with pokemon and get bonds. To me, perfect life :D But if I'm trying to be a little more realistic, war after war after war, death and more death :/

Back