• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help and Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So. I've been trying to find a way to make it so Pokemon only appear in the grass and I can't seem to find a decent tutorial that I understand. Can someone please help me?
    Encounters in tall grass without using Essentials, eh? I'll assume you're using a brand new default RMXP project with all its default scripts (battle system, etc.).

Give the grass tile(s) a unique terrain tag. You'll be checking whether you're standing on a tile with that terrain tag when you're looking to spawn an encounter.

Then in the scripts, in Scene_Map around line , you'll see the following:

Code:
          unless $game_system.map_interpreter.running? or
                 $game_system.encounter_disabled
    Add another part to that to the effect of "or the tile the player is on does NOT have terrain tag X" (because it's an "unless" clause - double negative). This way encounters should only work if you're on a grass tile. I couldn't tell you what that line would be offhand, but Essentials will use the line when deciding what kind of encounter to set up (walking/surfing/fishing/cave/time of day/whatever), so you could look it up.

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm only asking if there is any tutorial on tile spriting. I'm learning to sprite Tiles and I really don't know for example how to choose the right palettes and so on.
    Thaanks !

Gigatom~

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    Map making help?

Hi I'm new to the whole RMXP thing. I seem to have a big problem when making maps. All the maps I make seem to have a huge black border around them, and so far I have not been able to get rid of it. I've tried adding maps to the Visual Editor's canvas to replace the black border with trees. However unfortunately for me, the trees take up a lot of space on the canvas. My question is whether or not there is a way to get rid of these black borders while still maintaining a fair amount of room on the Visual Editor's canvas?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi I'm new to the whole RMXP thing. I seem to have a big problem when making maps. All the maps I make seem to have a huge black border around them, and so far I have not been able to get rid of it. I've tried adding maps to the Visual Editor's canvas to replace the black border with trees. However unfortunately for me, the trees take up a lot of space on the canvas. My question is whether or not there is a way to get rid of these black borders while still maintaining a fair amount of room on the Visual Editor's canvas?
    All you need to do here is enlarge each map and fill the new bits with trees. I think the margins are something like 7 tiles on each side, and 5 tiles on the top and bottom. If you make sure the player cannot walk within those margins in each map, you shouldn't see any blackness. A bit of a pain, yes, but it's necessary.

Overlapping maps in the Visual Editor is allowed, by the way. It's best if the overlapped parts are identical, to keep continuity.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    All you need to do here is enlarge each map and fill the new bits with trees. I think the margins are something like 7 tiles on each side, and 5 tiles on the top and bottom. If you make sure the player cannot walk within those margins in each map, you shouldn't see any blackness. A bit of a pain, yes, but it's necessary.

Overlapping maps in the Visual Editor is allowed, by the way. It's best if the overlapped parts are identical, to keep continuity.

Thanks a lot for the help and quick response Maruno. What size do you think maps should be on average to avoid this problem? The maps I have made so far were 30 by 20. Do you have a suggestion as to how big a map should be or is it going to vary between maps every time? (Sorry for asking another question lol, but if you could answer it would help a lot.)

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm only asking if there is any tutorial on tile spriting. I'm learning to sprite Tiles and I really don't know for example how to choose the right palettes and so on.
    Thaanks !

Gigatom~

Any help ? Sincerly.

Gigatom~

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks a lot for the help and quick response Maruno. What size do you think maps should be on average to avoid this problem? The maps I have made so far were 30 by 20. Do you have a suggestion as to how big a map should be or is it going to vary between maps every time? (Sorry for asking another question lol, but if you could answer it would help a lot.)
    It does depend on the size of map you want. Some people like smaller maps such as those in the official games, while some prefer absolutely huge maps that take forever to walk through (and much longer to create).

All you need to remember are the margins. These are the number of visible tiles on all sides of the player (the game's view is centred on the player, of course). The only thing you need to bear in mind when making a map is that you should include the margin around the edges of that map (excluding the sides that are connected to other maps). Don't worry about including them at the very beginning, though - create your map first, and you can easily resize them later to add in the margins.

If you're not sure about how a map looks and whether there would be any blackness visible, test it! While walking around in the Debug mode (i.e. test play in RPG Maker XP), you can hold down Ctrl to walk through anything, so you can easily access everywhere the player can (e.g. you can pass straight through cuttable trees and other temporary blocking tiles such as the old man lying down in Red/Blue). Holding Ctrl down also automatically skips battles, so you can roam without worrying about those.

NeoStar

Future Scripter Extraordinaire
    Years
  • I've been looking around for rips of battle animations. They have some at sprite resource but not all of them. I've googled everywhere and cant seem to find any. I don't mind modifying them to work with rmxp/sphere. If anyone knows where a complete rip set is let me know and ill modify them and share them. If they don't exist i'll eventually give in and spend a week ripping them myself.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    In pokemon essentials Can you make it so that your pokemon don't need to have learned the hm in order to do the field move ,like machoke doesn't have strength in his moves, but when I get the 5th badge it allows him to use strength on the field to move boulders around?

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In pokemon essentials Can you make it so that your pokemon don't need to have learned the hm in order to do the field move ,like machoke doesn't have strength in his moves, but when I get the 5th badge it allows him to use strength on the field to move boulders around?
    Erm, yes.

In PokemonField, find Kernel.pbStrength. There's a part involving pbCheckMove. This part needs to be replaced with an analysis of an array which contains a list of all the pokémon that would be able to use Strength (alternatively, you can check to see if a pokémon in your party is capable of learning the move Strength, if that suits your requirements).

So create the array in Kernel.pbStrength, then use a "for" loop to go through each pokémon in your party (for i in $Trainer.party), and for each of those use another "for" loop to check each element of that array (for j in strengthlist). If any party pokémon is the same species as any pokémon in the array, then you can push rocks around.

BADGEFORSTRENGTH is still used, and you want to set it to 4 (because the list of badges is zero-based, so badge number 4 is actually the fifth one).

You may also want to change the message "Machoke used Strength!", since it isn't.

Possible ways to expand on this idea are to set a minimum ATK value or Level required to push rocks around. These values can be different for each pokémon. You'd probably want to indicate when a pokémon becomes strong enough to shove boulders around, though.

Another, completely different, method to the above would be to make field moves "taught" by NPCs, except that an actual move isn't taught but the ability to haul rocks around (etc.) is. This can be done by setting to true a switch associated with the pokémon being shown how to do that something, and then simply check whether a pokémon in your party has the relevant switch being true when you try to do it in the field. Just an idea.

smackay-

Charizard...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2010
    Hello everyone.
    I have been reading around here for a while and am really interested in developing a game with Pokemon Essentials. I already have Essentials and RPG Maker XP downloaded but where do go now?
    What do i need to learn and where?
    Tah :D

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    For a basic game, all you need to do is draw some maps, throw some NPCs and items in, and click Play. To that end, basically just learn how to work RPG Maker XP (e.g. mapping, simple events, that kind of thing).

If you decide you want to have a go at scripting, press F11 and have a look at what's there. If you're still not put off by that, read through the notes and find out what's what. A basic knowledge of general programming will help a lot, since that will help you to at least follow what's going on in there.

smackay-

Charizard...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2010
    For a basic game, all you need to do is draw some maps, throw some NPCs and items in, and click Play. To that end, basically just learn how to work RPG Maker XP (e.g. mapping, simple events, that kind of thing).

If you decide you want to have a go at scripting, press F11 and have a look at what's there. If you're still not put off by that, read through the notes and find out what's what. A basic knowledge of general programming will help a lot, since that will help you to at least follow what's going on in there.

Thanks Maruno :D
    I know how to use RMXP and i know the basic commands for wild battles, items etc.
    Not up with the scripting part though. Is there anywhere i can learn what it all means and how to work with it?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks Maruno :D
    I know how to use RMXP and i know the basic commands for wild battles, items etc.
    Not up with the scripting part though. Is there anywhere i can learn what it all means and how to work with it?
    Google RGSS, and check the notes. As I said, it helps if you have an aptitude for programming. It's hard to get into.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Hey guys which script am i able to change the battle menu *Not the hp bar and exp...*, also which script is to change the menu like the one with all the options... like dex, pokemon,bag, and etc... I would appreciate if you guys direct me 2 the scripts

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey guys which script am i able to change the battle menu *Not the hp bar and exp...*, also which script is to change the menu like the one with all the options... like dex, pokemon,bag, and etc... I would appreciate if you guys direct me 2 the scripts
    Everything is in PokeBattle_ActualScene. If you search for "commandbox" and "fightbox", you should find something useful (they're the backgrounds, if you choose to use them, to the main battle screen and the "choose move" screen respectively).

The battle system is quite complicated. Good luck to you.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • k0o but what scripting language is this ino its way to far off of php isnt it ruby on rails cuz some of these scripts look familiar

But how bout the main menu you know, like when u press pause

But how bout the main menu you know, like when u press pause

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back