• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Help on a Good PKMN with Great HP

SpeedTrainer47

Speed Trainer Lv: 100
Years
  • hey people im starting up a new team and i need a good hp PKMN to take in heavy hits as i heal my PKMN so what do u guys suggest as a good PKMN with great DEFENCE and HP

Please leave your suggestions of any PKMN that u think is good for that......

AdvanceMapper

Stop scaring the little kids!
    Years
  • Shuckle is a good pick.

It's great for a decoy.

At least, it has the highest Defense and Sp. Defense stats, but like Snorlax the lowest speed.

If that doesn't fit well, use Chansey or Blisssey.

Both have high HP (like the most) and good Sp.Defense.

(Get Chansey at FR/LG's Safari Zone)

(Find him in the Johto part in the Safari Zone in R/S/E.)

Shuckle is a good pick.

It's great for a decoy because it can take millions of hits.

At least, it has the highest Defense and Sp. Defense stats, but like Snorlax the lowest speed.

He's in the Emerald Safari Expansion Part.

And use Hp and Iron is good because you raise the potenial stats of the Pokemon (things called EVs).

Last edited:

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
  • Hey, I have emerald, and the best place to EV speed train is the Cave of Origin, but theres this old guy blocking the way, oh and I beat the E4 already so its not a storyline thing?? Where should I go??

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    ill give you a few....
    snolax & blissey-high hp & sp. def
    shuckle, aggron, regirock, registeel-high defensive stats
    wailord-high hp

hope these helps^_^"!

Years
  • Defence & HP: Skarmory, Gliscor, Weezing, Forretress, Tangrowth.
    These are better than some of the others. Also, Blissey won't be taking too many physical hits...

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
    Years
  • i was thinking of using Aggron, because it has high HP.

also, high HP is good because if you get poisoned, HP drops by 1 every 4-5 steps. so high HP is very useful.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Blissey, Snorlax, Aggron, Shuckle (pitiful HP, though), TTar (good for more than JUST that...) and a just about every Rock type in the game...xD (cept Nosepass)

SpeedTrainer47

Speed Trainer Lv: 100
    Years
  • wow guys all great suggestions ill try some of em out

If Your PKMN Don't Like You, TRAIN Them FASTER lol =]

jcs575

The master of all!
    Years
  • if your still looking for a good pokemon with a lot of hp, a Wobbuffet has alot of hp :D

Last edited:

AdvanceMapper

Stop scaring the little kids!
    Years
  • Also, if you take my Shuckle suggestion, it should have these moves at Lv.100

Gyro Ball
    Power Swap
    Withdraw
    Amensia

1. Gyro Ball works better if your Pokemon is very slow and becuase Shuckle has very, very low speed, this is good.

2. Power Swap switches your Attack with your Defense, so you could use a super charged Gyro Ball and be able to defend itself from Special attack (not Physical, so wary if the opponets Pokemon know mainly Physicial moves).

3.Withdraw and Amensia are just for boosting your chances of surviving.

Also, you could also use this:

A Ludicolo (good luck finding one) with Rain Dish and Leftovers
    Rain Dance
    Leech Seed
    Giga Drain
    (any other move)

First, use Rain Dance, which will heal your Ludicolo's health with the addition of Leftovers.
    Next, use Leech Seed, which gives a boosted health gain.
    Then, use Giga Drain, which will give Ludicolo a even more boosted health gain.

Ludicolo also has good Sp.Defense.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    if ludicolo can learn ingrain, or dive either of those would fit in well at that last spot

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • 'kay... the majority of the posters here have given advice without proper knowledge.

Shuckle is a good pick.

It's great for a decoy.

(Find him in the Johto part in the Safari Zone in R/S/E.)

Shuckle is a good pick.

It's great for a decoy because it can take millions of hits.

He's in the Emerald Safari Expansion Part.

And use Hp and Iron is good because you raise the potenial stats of the Pokemon (things called EVs).
    Shuckle epically fails. What harm is it actually going to do with Toxic and Earthquake? Shuckle is just set-up bait for the opponent. What harm is it going to do, really? Forretress comes in and you try to do something about it, but what's the most you can do? If you leave Shuckle in, Forretress simply lays down its field traps and simply Spikes your team to death. The next thing Shuckle knows, Garchomp switches in and can get three Swords Dances in and Dragon Claw the crap out of your team, and it simply switches out when Toxic gets too intense. Not to mention Blissey just pulverizes Shuckle.

ill give you a few....
    snolax & blissey-high hp & sp. def
    shuckle, aggron, regirock, registeel-high defensive stats
    wailord-high hp

hope these helps^_^"!
    Snorlax and Blissey have a huge amount of Defense, just like the thread creator asked. Shuckle explanations can be seen from my reply to the above post. Aggron is crap. x4 weaknesses to two of the most common physical attack types isn't going to be walling much. Regirock and Registeel can't do much. It stops opposing physical attacks but eventually will get worn down (I actually was a frequent user of Regirock before, but now I only use it in the Sandstorm teams). Wailord? lol. I'd love a physical wall with base 45 defense.
    Defence & HP: Skarmory, Gliscor, Weezing, Forretress, Tangrowth.
    These are better than some of the others. Also, Blissey won't be taking too many physical hits...
    Most of these don't have a good HP stat. Skarmory, for example, has a base 60 HP stat. o________o
    i was thinking of using Aggron, because it has high HP.

also, high HP is good because if you get poisoned, HP drops by 1 every 4-5 steps. so high HP is very useful.
    Base 70 HP stat is not high! >.< The only good trait Aggron has is it's tanking abilities, which are greatly weakened by its x4 weakness to the most common of the physical offense. And the poison thing, does it really matter in competetive? One more thing... Aggron is barely ever poisoned due to it's Steel typing.
    Blissey, Snorlax, Aggron, Shuckle (pitiful HP, though), TTar (good for more than JUST that...) and a just about every Rock type in the game...xD (cept Nosepass)
    Blissey and Snorlax aren't physical walls. Aggron and Shuckle both fail at walling. I've explained in some of my previous responses. Tyranitar is used to deal damage as a tank.

tyranitar has pure atk & its hard too!!!!
    'kay. o______________o;

if your still looking for a good pokemon with a lot of hp, a Wobbuffet has alot of hp :D
    No, just no. Wobbuffet is just... TYRANITAR USED DARKPULSE!!! >:< Wobb as a physical wall. xD;

What I would suggest is Hippowdon. It does have a 10% overall better defense than Skarmory. Relicanth is also a beauty when it uses a CB'd Head Smash while still taking numerous physical hits, though brought down because of its x4 Grass Weakness. Tangrowth is also a wonderful candidate to induce status, absorb HP, and neutralize some Pokemon threats that rely on items to work. Slowbro is decent, but not a favorite of mine.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    99% of what Raikazu said was correct, most of these people have given bad advice but with the following exceptions to what he said:
    Most of these don't have a good HP stat. Skarmory, for example, has a base 60 HP stat
    Since the OP asked for a combination of Def and HP, the pokes he listed are best at the job at hand. To use skarmory as example again, base 60 HP and base 140 Def balance each other out.
    TYRANITAR USED DARKPULSE
    Standard Wobby eats dark pulse like candy and spits back mirror coats for a KO. But you're right that it isnt a generic wall, and is possibly the cheapest poke going after FEAR.
    I must also join Raikazu in the crusade against shuckle. It sucks in all ways. It tries to be a wall, it really does. But any poke that is defensively weak to S-Toss (Seismic toss=3HKO) is not deservant of the title "wall". It is also set up fodder, opponents will laugh as they spike while you flail in front of them. Finally, any poke relying on status moves fordamage has serious problems.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    'kay... the majority of the posters here have given advice without proper knowledge.

Shuckle epically fails. What harm is it actually going to do with Toxic and Earthquake? Shuckle is just set-up bait for the opponent. What harm is it going to do, really? Forretress comes in and you try to do something about it, but what's the most you can do? If you leave Shuckle in, Forretress simply lays down its field traps and simply Spikes your team to death. The next thing Shuckle knows, Garchomp switches in and can get three Swords Dances in and Dragon Claw the crap out of your team, and it simply switches out when Toxic gets too intense. Not to mention Blissey just pulverizes Shuckle.

Snorlax and Blissey have a huge amount of Defense, just like the thread creator asked. Shuckle explanations can be seen from my reply to the above post. Aggron is crap. x4 weaknesses to two of the most common physical attack types isn't going to be walling much. Regirock and Registeel can't do much. It stops opposing physical attacks but eventually will get worn down (I actually was a frequent user of Regirock before, but now I only use it in the Sandstorm teams). Wailord? lol. I'd love a physical wall with base 45 defense.
    Most of these don't have a good HP stat. Skarmory, for example, has a base 60 HP stat. o________o
    Base 70 HP stat is not high! >.< The only good trait Aggron has is it's tanking abilities, which are greatly weakened by its x4 weakness to the most common of the physical offense. And the poison thing, does it really matter in competetive? One more thing... Aggron is barely ever poisoned due to it's Steel typing.
    Blissey and Snorlax aren't physical walls. Aggron and Shuckle both fail at walling. I've explained in some of my previous responses. Tyranitar is used to deal damage as a tank.

'kay. o______________o;

No, just no. Wobbuffet is just... TYRANITAR USED DARKPULSE!!! >:< Wobb as a physical wall. xD;

What I would suggest is Hippowdon. It does have a 10% overall better defense than Skarmory. Relicanth is also a beauty when it uses a CB'd Head Smash while still taking numerous physical hits, though brought down because of its x4 Grass Weakness. Tangrowth is also a wonderful candidate to induce status, absorb HP, and neutralize some Pokemon threats that rely on items to work. Slowbro is decent, but not a favorite of mine.

TSSK......if you look closely blissey is PURE HP HIGH SP. DEF & VERY SOFT TO PHYSICAL ATTACKS!!!! that goes the same to snorlax-high hp(400+ maximum),high atk,low speed & also a bit weak against physical atks.

aggron is NOT CRAP. it has a higher base defense than registeel, although slow, if used with the right moves may be a killer......

wobbuffet has high hp & not good with dark pokemon like tyranitar, if dark pulsed, no effect to the opponent.....

tyranitar has a vareity of excellent moves, if sp. atk raised the best nature is quiet.
    if atk. stat raised, the best nature for it is naughty.

regirock is basically a wall.(better used with explosion...)
    some people these days.....

Douger

A True Spriting Hero
    Years
  • I would use Regirock, Blissey, Chansey, or Snorlax.

Probably mainly Blissey because it can learn a vareity of moves.
    Teach it Substitute and you've technically won the match.
    At level 100, it has up to about 650 HP, problly the highest in the game!
    Its defense isn't half bad and its attack is pretty great.
    I would know, I have one on my team. They are pretty darn fast too.

Hope this helps! :D

Back