• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS Game Corner Changed - for EVERYWHERE outside Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    Actually, by the description of the game it sounds more like a variation of Nonogram rather than a variation of minesweeper.
    Basically, I support this change because Nonograms are my favorite logic puzzles, and I almost never got coins out of the slots (Which was very frustrating).
    Like the guy before me said, in principle it is objectionable, but practically this change will make the game more fun for me due to the reasons I stated above.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Why did you mention Europe and Australia in your first post? Australia has never had this censorship before. And as such every main series Pokemon game has been PG13+ (or G8+ (as opposed to simply G), before PG was applied to games as well as movies).

While it is censorship, Minesweeper sure is a lot better than slot machines.

You think they would block off all that sexual reference stuff in Pop music instead of this, come on. How are people going to know that Blue tricked someone by shoving Pokeballs in her shirt to give herself some D Cups?

Nintendo don't need to do that stuff in order for a G rating. Nintendo isn't censorshipping to protect 'little kiddies', they're doing it so they'll buy it.

Edit:

If it's fine for Japanese people, including Japanese children (take heed of that, ESRB), to play in a full-fledged Game Corner, than why can't we?

There's a technicality in Japan. If the prize exchange is in a different building to the slot machines, it's not gambling. That's why you use coins, not money and why there's always a separate building for prize exchange.

Not just for the reasons I already stated above, but also because virtual gambling is a better way to channel your addictive impulses, if you have some, than feeding your paycheck to a real slot machine.

Problem gambling is the addiction to the thrill. I doubt gambling in Pokemon has nearly the same thrill value as real gambling.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    There's a technicality in Japan. If the prize exchange is in a different building to the slot machines, it's not gambling. That's why you use coins, not money and why there's always a separate building for prize exchange.

Actually... In the Goldenrod Game Corner, the Prize Exchange was in the same building*, so your argument really isn't valid.

*I haven't seen the HGSS Game Corner, so I may be mistaken.*

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
    Years
    JUST BE GLAD WE EVEN HAVE THE GAME CORNER

Besides, if you don't like it, don't play it. Nothing in the gamne says you HAVE to play the Game Corner. =/ .. right?

...Has it ever occured to you that I, you know, like the slots? What then? Besides, we're beyond the days of altering/removing things from games when released outside of Japan.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Why did you mention Europe and Australia in your first post? Australia has never had this censorship before. And as such every main series Pokemon game has been PG13+ (or G8+ (as opposed to simply G), before PG was applied to games as well as movies).
    Because it was likely that Australia would have had the same censorship as Europe with HG/SS thanks to some previous info... mainly the fact Platinum had a G8+ rating specifically for the gambling in it (cough -_-), but with HGSS the rating was back to G, which suggested maybe they were suddenly ok with gambling...or they just took out the slots. Then some pre-release picture indicated the possibility that the Australian version was the same as the European one which were said to have no slots beforehand (basically a box was named 'box 1' in Spanish suggesting a European save files was used for screenshots and that hence the two region's games were the same) - hence me mentioning Australia. (And hey, it turned out to be the case!...only it turns out it's censored for everyone, not just us).

*adds in annoyance about censorship* Lol and while this goes on Lady Gaga sings about 'disco sticks' (cough the second) on daytime radio. Gotta love the world, no? Yay double standards and over-the-top 'protection' if you can call it that. =/ Necessary for Nintendo though to avoid potential bad blood with whingers and rating groups though, bah.
    Actually... In the Goldenrod Game Corner, the Prize Exchange was in the same building*, so your argument really isn't valid.

*I haven't seen the HGSS Game Corner, so I may be mistaken.*
    Same deal for HGSS, or leastways the Goldenrod one.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Well, I'm not sure how that works exactly. But gambling is illegal in Japan, so yeah...

Yuoaman

Years
    Truly, the world is becoming a nanny state... :\

HG/SS Game Corner Changed - for EVERYWHERE outside Japan

demonmike

Missing-Nin
    Years
    Oh, and if anyone is still iffy on a fansite giving info, you can rest your fears about that.
    https://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=14990 Talks about the Voltorb Flip game and all. (Apparently they say it's awesome).

I'm amused though that they made this article a day after serebii.net XD

Haha, of course the official Nintendo magazine will praise it, not sure if its changed it recent years, but I stopped buying it when I realised "Hey..every first party title is 90% and gets Star of the month".. I miss the old NOM..

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Well, this has saved me some time and money. I was going to buy an American Soul Silver to play the game corner, but I guess I'll stick to my Spanish Heart Gold.

And I must be the only guy to be happy around here, because I was expecting the soul-crushing "OMG there are some coins left in the machine let's steal them :D". Anything is better than what we got in Platinum.

Years
    I just hope you can get coins just as easily as using the slots. The EU Platinum sounded like a nightmare.

I understand that the slots simulate gambling. I know this. But do they really think that kids are saying "LoLZ IMAH GO gAMbul in ReAl lYFE." Seriously? People have gambling problems because of their own tendencies. It's like when people blame violent movies and video games for real life violence; why blame the game or movie? The person is the one with issues.

Whatever. At least we have something in its place.

Yuoaman

Years
    I just hope you can get coins just as easily as using the slots. The EU Platinum sounded like a nightmare.

I understand that the slots simulate gambling. I know this. But do they really think that kids are saying "LoLZ IMAH GO gAMbul in ReAl lYFE." Seriously? People have gambling problems because of their own tendencies. It's like when people blame violent movies and video games for real life violence; why blame the game or movie? The person is the one with issues.

Whatever. At least we have something in its place.

It's because most of the world's adults believe that anyone younger than themselves is a moron who can't think for themselves, and I'm not even kidding.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    All annoyed joking beside, the premisses of these censorship things are:

I understand that the slots simulate gambling. I know this. But do they really think that kids are saying "LoLZ IMAH GO gAMbul in ReAl lYFE." Seriously? People have gambling problems because of their own tendencies.

They're trying to stop people from gambling so that they won't get addicted in the first place. When gambling appears in kids' favourite video games, it's portraying gambling as something positive. It also gives an artifically inflated chance of winning. Gambling in video games would be extremely boring if it used real world odds, because it would literally just be one big money pit.

Keep in mind gambling was made as a way for governments to collect extra 'taxes' from their populations without them properly realising it.

It's like when people blame violent movies and video games for real life violence; why blame the game or movie? The person is the one with issues.

It's suppose to be that it makes violence and killing seem less taboo to young kids, who are still learning about the world they're living in.

I'm not saying I agree with these, but that's the idea.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Nice video. And yeah, because everywhere (except Japan, obviously XD) has it based off the English version.

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
    Wait, what's that? It looks the same? Well, on the inside…

Good God that is horrible. I mean seriously. They made it way too bright and cheery. Couldn't they have at least made it the same, just with the voltorb flip? WHY DID THEY HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING!?!

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years

Place the blame, folks.​
    But does anyone ACTUALLY care? I only really used the Game Corner to get a Dratini in the early games, and even then I just bought tons of coins. The slots were never fun, and barely any benefit. They served a miniscule purpose in the original Generation, with the Rocket Hideout, but otherwise they could disappear and I wouldn't even notice.
    But hold on... What about the Lottery?!?

demonmike

Missing-Nin
    Years

Place the blame, folks.​
    But does anyone ACTUALLY care? I only really used the Game Corner to get a Dratini in the early games, and even then I just bought tons of coins. The slots were never fun, and barely any benefit. They served a miniscule purpose in the original Generation, with the Rocket Hideout, but otherwise they could disappear and I wouldn't even notice.
    But hold on... What about the Lottery?!?

That image for those who dont know is what appears on the European releases for the gambling rating (self explanatory), what isnt commonly known but stated many times earlier for those who've rushed through the topic is that as soon as you have that image on your game rating, it instantly becomes 12+ no exceptions now.

Lottery will remain, as no cost/risk is subject to the player, its free to enter and such.

EDIT: Just watched the video, thanks for sharing Hiroshi!

Well, it would seem not only is it mine sweeper, its easy game mine sweeper. Feeling even more cheated now, but reassured at the same time that its looking pretty sound in its payout. No choice but to welcome it, although it was obvious it was going to need a redesign in the actual game corner, it doesnt fit very well, considering the exterior look of the building conflicts with the interiors theme. But now I'm just nit picking.

Last edited:
    Years
    In the video, it looks as if the number next to the Voltorb at the end of the rows and columns correspond to how many Voltorb are in that row or column. If the row has 0 next to a Voltorb, click all the ones in that row. It won't have a Voltorb in that row.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back