• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
    What's a good place to power-level my pokemon in Kanto?

I currently can't beat Claire.

Well, maybe because I don't evolve my pokemon, but whatever x)

Years
    I have a quick question about the unknown breeding. I thought they can't be breed without a gender. Like beldum and staryu and among others. Is it possible to breed these. If so please let me know. I would like to breed these myself too.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
    I have a quick question about the unknown breeding. I thought they can't be breed without a gender. Like beldum and staryu and among others. Is it possible to breed these. If so please let me know. I would like to breed these myself too.

Most genderless Pokémon, like the ones you mentioned, can breed with a Ditto, but only with a Ditto. Legendary Pokémon cannot breed at all, though.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Unown cannot breed. Just catch them...it's not like the nature makes much difference really, they're still incredibly limited in-battle.

Years
    I just finished ev training on drainti with a pokerus. Now it has 251 atk power and I need one more to finish it. What should I do? Should I continue to train my other parts of the stats and finish with it first then get rid of the pokerus. I heard the pokerus doesn't or does wears off at the end. My goal is to complete the stats before it wears off. And then continue to battle it without the pokerus. Please let me know thanks.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Pokerus does stay with the Pokemon once it gets it - the only part that goes away is the spreadable trait if you have it outside the PC system during midnight.

Years
    Pokerus does stay with the Pokemon once it gets it - the only part that goes away is the spreadable trait if you have it outside the PC system during midnight.

Just found out after with the smiley face on the pokemon. It still gains extra ev's.

Another thing. I have a hack espeon from someone long time ago with a move set of wish. When I breed it with the hack espeon will my evee be hack too. I want the wish on my evee when I breed it. Let me know thanks.

Last edited:

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Just found out after with the smiley face on the pokemon. It still gains extra ev's.

Another thing. I have a hack espeon from someone long time ago with a move set of wish. When I breed it with the hack espeon will my evee be hack too. I want the wish on my evee when I breed it. Let me know thanks.

The eevee will not be hacked. If your espeon is a male it will have eevee offspring that have wish.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Wheres the best place to train in Johto? I keep losing to Lance the champ..And I think its because my Pokes are a little underleveled. So yeah, where at? Thanks :D
    Try grinding in Route 47 (you need Waterfall to get to the grass field there) or Victory Road. They have decently leveled wild Pokemon there. The Miltank in Route 47 provide 1000 EXP.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ^ I assume you mean it has 101 EVs in one stat? It's a bit hard to understand, sorry. Anyways only way to reduce EVs is to give the Pokemon an EV-reducing berry (e.g Pomeg, Hondew, etc). They reduce the number of EVs in the specific stat they correlate to by 10 unless you already have over 100 EVs in said stat in which case it goes straight to 100.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    I'm wondering if I can beat Claire with the group I have.

Level 52 Machoke (Vital Throw, Revenge, Focus Energy, Karate Chop)
    Level 51 Typhlosion (Flame Wheel, Swift, Strength, Flamethrower)
    Level 49 Gyrados (Bite, Ice Fang, Surf, Twister)
    Level 45 Dragonair (Slam, Safeguard, Aqua Tail, Dragon Rush)

I also have a Level 29 soon to be 30 Flaaffy (Tackle, Growl, Thunder Shock, Thunder Wave) but it's kind of underlevelled compared to Claire's team...

Do I stand a chance against her?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I'm wondering if I can beat Claire with the group I have.

Level 52 Machoke (Vital Throw, Revenge, Focus Energy, Karate Chop)
    Level 51 Typhlosion (Flame Wheel, Swift, Strength, Flamethrower)
    Level 49 Gyrados (Bite, Ice Fang, Surf, Twister)
    Level 45 Dragonair (Slam, Safeguard, Aqua Tail, Dragon Rush)

I also have a Level 29 soon to be 30 Flaaffy (Tackle, Growl, Thunder Shock, Thunder Wave) but it's kind of underlevelled compared to Claire's team...

Do I stand a chance against her?

Yes if it's the first battle, no if it's the second.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    Yes if it's the first battle, no if it's the second.
    It's the first battle, I think - I need to defeat her for my 8th badge. Are there any particular strategies or orders I should attack her pokemon with? I was planning on suicide-rushing with my Flaaffy to eat off as much health from her Gyrados as I could, but other than that, I have no real plans and I don't know what to do.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    i came across a vid on youtube where a guy went against steven in the ruins of alph

is there actually a way to battle him or was the vid fake/hacked?

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
    i came across a vid on youtube where a guy went against steven in the ruins of alph

is there actually a way to battle him or was the vid fake/hacked?

Unfortunately, that's not actually in the real game. There is no actual way to battle Steven in HG/SS. He's only there as a supporting character to obtain Latios, Latias, the Hoenn starters, and Beldum.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Two questions ^_^.

One, How do I get the move Headbutt? Is there a TM for it? Or do I have to get a Poke that learns it?

Second: Wheres the best place to train, after you have gathered all of the Kanto badges but have yet to defeat Red? Thanks!

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
    Two questions ^_^.

One, How do I get the move Headbutt? Is there a TM for it? Or do I have to get a Poke that learns it?

Second: Wheres the best place to train, after you have gathered all of the Kanto badges but have yet to defeat Red? Thanks!

One: There's a peculiar man in Ilex Forest that likes giving out Pokémon the move Headbutt. He should be some mid-age man after some long-ish path... I don't really remember where he is exactly, but I'm thinking he should be here in this area:

Spoiler:

Second: Get the gym leaders' phone numbers. They're seriously one of the best training methods to reach 100, since once you're around the 70s-80s they get ridiculously easy they're just free fodder for experience. The best Gym Leaders are the ones that do it in the afternoon, since that's much from 10-11am to around 5-6pm. Nighttime Gym Leaders are also great too if you're nocturnal.

The thing to exploit is this: Find a gym leader who is available at the current time you're playing. Beat them in the Fighting Dojo, then immediately exit. Call them again. They'll be back instantaneously. Repeat until you need to heal in the Pokémon Center (Probably because your PP ran out or something), then return to the Dojo again to fight more. Do this until Level 100. :)

If you have a Lucky Egg, this will be even easier.

Here's where you can find each Gym Leader's phone number, and what day of the week they'll be available.
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9gear#Gym_Leader_phone_listing

Back