• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2010
    Japanese vs English

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you could help me with a question I have:

I'm in Japan and as such there are used copies of HG/SS aplenty. The language isn't a problem for me, and I'd get it, but...

.. can the Japanese version interact (trade/battle) with the English one? One of the main reasons I'd get it is to play with my friends and family back home.

If anyone knows about this, please let me know here or by PM!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hey guys,

I'm in Japan and as such there are used copies of HG/SS aplenty. The language isn't a problem for me, and I'd get it, but...

.. can the Japanese version interact (trade/battle) with the English one? One of the main reasons I'd get it is to play with my friends and family back home.

I traded stuff from my Japanese SoulSilver to my English HeartGold and Platinum, so you should be fine. Trade and battle away. C:

Augh, I gotta wait til Tuesday. D; Or set my clock back. C:< But thank you very much!

Drift_King1

Rawr.
    Years
  • Hey guys,

Yes, the versions can interact with each other over Wi-Fi. :)

Years
  • I've just trained a Golbat up to level 33 so I could learn Mean Look and use it on Entei and Raikou to prevent them from escaping.

I encountered Entei, used mean look, it successfully worked and then I switched out to Ampharos to paralyze Entei. He then fled....

Mean Look doesn't trap them if you switch pokemon?!?!

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • I've just trained a Golbat up to level 33 so I could learn Mean Look and use it on Entei and Raikou to prevent them from escaping.

I encountered Entei, used mean look, it successfully worked and then I switched out to Ampharos to paralyze Entei. He then fled....

Mean Look doesn't trap them if you switch pokemon?!?!

That is correct. Unless you want to use Golbat to fight Entei, I'd suggest a Pokémon that can block Entei's escape, use a status-inducing move on it, and hit hard to get Entei to low health. There are obviously different options, but one that I recommend is Snorlax. Snorlax can use Block to trap Entei (provided it knows the move and its speed is higher than Entei's), Yawn as a means of putting Entei to sleep, and it can also hit pretty hard, though you may want to be cautious as if you don't use the right moves you'll just knock Entei out.

jolteon.

asdfasdfasdf
    Years
  • Side note, if you knock out entei, just defeat the elite four and he will roam around johto again.

Meanlook can also be baton passed, so Umbreon can get the job done too.
    And you always go first when fighting fleeing pokemons.

Leo7507

~иєνєя єи∂ιиg нανσc~
    Years
  • Hi, (Sorry if this has already been posted..) I'm having trouble with using the Dowsing Machine, if someone could explain how you are meant to use it, that would be much appreciated.

-Thanks, Leo.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Hi, (Sorry if this has already been posted..) I'm having trouble with using the Dowsing Machine, if someone could explain how you are meant to use it, that would be much appreciated.

-Thanks, Leo.
    I just got it to try and answer your question, so I'm kind of inexperienced with it myself. Hopefully I'll help you.

When you have the Dowsing MCHN open on your touch screen, I found it best to keep the stylus on the radar. The radar then begins to get more orange instead of faintly red, and a small dot will appear in one of the squares. The dot is the item. Keep moving in the direction of the item while using the Dowsing MCHN, and soon the dot will be in the center of the radar. Then the item is where you're standing, so look around there.

I hope that helps you out a bit.

Years
  • Subject, go into a NPC house in Ecruteak, and you'll find it sooner or later, since there are not many houses. Just talk to them, and a bald man who says treasure to you then you say YES, because that's the Dowsing Machine.

Karuto

pockétmonster♥
    Years
  • Help!

I've have tried to find a Europe/UK Cloning Code for Pokemon Soul Silver. (Action Replay)
    I can't find it.
    Does anyone have it?
    And the Game ID.
    Thanks (:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • AR questions aren't really allowed here... try searching the emulation section if they have anything on it, or google.

jolteon.

asdfasdfasdf
    Years
  • Where is there a re-matchable double battle in HGSS? I need to use sketch with smeargle, but finding random pokemons that will actually have the move is pretty much impossible.
    and I have DPPt but I don't want to trade over there because I want everything to be done again on HGSS if possible

edit: So apparently, the "easiest" way would be train up a pokemon who can learn the move you want.
    Delete all other moves
    Battle Ditto on route 34 (since it's at a low level) and have it transform to your pokemon.
    Switch to smeargle and sketch.
    asdfasdf that's sooooo much more work than expected. and Lots of heart scales OR training.

Last edited:
    Back