• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2013
    So, I don't know if this has been asked anywhere else, or a similar inquiry has been made. But I felt the need to post this here, as it didn't seem permitted anywhere else. I've reached Blackthorn City on my Heart Gold, and my pokemon seem a bit under leveled. Mind you, I don't skip any battles (generally) and try to train my pokemon as evenly spread out throughout the team I have as I can. Right now, I have levels 32-36. I'm aiming to have all of my pokemon at level 36 before I challenge Claire, as even her trainers have substantially leveled pokemon. My question is basically where is a good spot to essentially grind for this? I've fought the trainers South of the city and they were a bit low leveled to offer too much experience, as well as the wild pokemon there. I'm not a big fan of grinding, but I feel like I must have fallen behind somewhere along the line. If any advice could be offered, it'd be appreciated.

Thank you (:

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Explosion Base Power is 250 and Self Destruct is 200. So knockoff I think not. Locations - Underground Path Route 5-6, (Trade Rarecandybar).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Also note that in 4th gen games Explosion also has the unmentioned effect of halving the opponent's defense as well - by far superior to Selfdestruct.

@ Haunt - you can always rematch trainers via the phone - here's a link of when you can call who (you can battle someone as many times as you want in the time period for them btw). As for places you might have missed - Union cave has some trainers in it if you make use of Surf (and also leads to other Ruins of Alph areas in which there is another trainer too), and also there's three trainers if you surf south of Goldenrod (on route 34).

Years
    I've been trying to catch articuno tonight and still with no luck. I use pikachu's thunder wave to parlyze him and then hit him with thunder bolt a few times until he has low health. Then I use 50 ultra balls toss it at him and still with no luck. Any tips. I don't have any pokemon with sleep powered and stuff like that.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Have you tried Quick Balls/Fast Balls to start off with? Then if that doesn't work Timer Ball every 10 turns. Dusk Balls come in handy.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Also just remember Articuno has one of the worst catch rates so you'll need some luck and patience with it as well. Sleep is a better status effect than paralysis btw, but certainly any status effect helps significantly.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    i can't remember what exactly that power items do when EV training.
    do they add +4 of their EV, for each pokemon you beat?

like if i beat a spearow for 1 speed, and had a power weight equiped i would also get 4 hp EVs right?

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    long story short, i have a couple larvitar that i bred.
    i'm planning on using one with a tyranniboah setup

the thing is i don't know which one i should choose
    here's the IVs
    larvitar 1 - 31/23/31/17/31/17
    larvitar 2 - 31/1/31/24/31/31

which one should i use, and why?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    long story short, i have a couple larvitar that i bred.
    i'm planning on using one with a tyranniboah setup

the thing is i don't know which one i should choose
    here's the IVs
    larvitar 1 - 31/23/31/17/31/17
    larvitar 2 - 31/1/31/24/31/31

which one should i use, and why?

Number 1, simply because its Iv's in attack are alot better than number 2. It also has Max/Def/Sp.Def/HP Iv's and low speed and Sp.Atk, which is better all round than 2.

Years
    Need Elite Four Help! I can get to Lance easy, but the Dragonites well I'd rather not go into what they do to me!

Current Team;
    Feraligatr - Lvl 62
    Espeon - Lvl 45
    Dragonair - Lvl 40
    Ho Oh - Lvl 47
    Haunter - Lvl 30 :P

Thanks in advance ;D

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    Need Elite Four Help! I can get to Lance easy, but the Dragonites well I'd rather not go into what they do to me!

Current Team;
    Feraligatr - Lvl 62
    Espeon - Lvl 45
    Dragonair - Lvl 40
    Ho Oh - Lvl 47
    Haunter - Lvl 30 :P

Thanks in advance ;D

If your Feraligatr does not know Ice Beam, teach it that, it should OHKO the Dragonite (mine was around level 47 and it was able to do that...). If you're worried about Thunder, which should be the only threat to your Feraligatr due to its high level, have your Ho Oh use Sunny Day (it cuts Thunder's accuracy). You also should consider grinding the other members of your team to higher levels because it seems that you rely on Feraligatr a little too much...

Years
    Hello. I'm trying to find tm sludge bomb in heart gold. I know it exist because I found it in soul silver once and I forgot where. Can anyone help me?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Which gate house? The underground one. I went there and there is nothing there. Or are you talking about the poll where team rocket stop you and asked you to pay some money.
    After you beat Team Rocket in Mahogany, go back to the gatehouse north of the town and talk to the guard. He'll give you the TM.

Back