• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HGSS Official English Names Thread

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    EDIT: More names - see below in the spoiler! Including Gold/Hikibi's/rocket admins/key item names, etc! (Or check the source: serebii.net)

I have a hunch (lol it was a good hunch in the end =P) a few more names will be coming in sooner or later given suddenly we have one... suddenly given to us! So making this thread to keep all of the names to the one thread.

From https://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml
    The official site has updated with details for Saturday's episode and have revealed Kotone (コトネ)'s US name. This name is the same name in both the Animé and the HeartGold & SoulSilver Games and as such, she is now known in English speaking territories as Lyra. This name keeps the same meaning as the Japanese name in that it's based on the sound of a harp

So there you have it - Kotone = Lyra.

NEW NAMES BELOW:
    Spoiler:

Please see the Game Corner thread to discuss the new information concerning that. Discuss the English names away over here!

Last edited:

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    Lyra is Kotone!..I said it first! ^^ lol and i want Kazunari's name to be Carl it's so predictable lol

MarioRocks08

No Longer Using This Account
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Well, I think Melody would have been better, but I guess Lyra is an okay name.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    I would've preferred Harmony, but I guess Lyra works.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Oh, indeed I did. >_< *removes the : of doom* I'm keeping the purposeful double 'suddenly's in though there. ;P

I do wonder what the male protagonist will end up being, seeing we got the motif actually continued for Kotone here...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Double post because HOLY HECK we got a lot of stuff just now.

https://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

OK THEN. The following is spoiler-rific and copy-and-paste-rific, I might add. English on the left, Japanese on the right.
    Spoiler:

Please see the Game Corner thread to discuss the information concerning that. Discuss the English names away!

Personally, I'm surprised they went and changed the name of the good old ItemFinder in GSC to the Dowsing MCHN (machine), but I suppose they wanted to keep it in line with D/P/Pt. =/ Also feel it's a minor pity the names for the Rocket admins is gone now... although at least there's no two Lances running around and it was kinda a given at least some of those names would have been changed and apparently these new names are also names of rockets? I'm also quite used to the GB Player nam atm so guss I'm going to have to get used to GB Sounds now. XD

Biggest for me is this Gold/Hikibi becoming known as Ethan business. Hmm. I don't see that much in the way of a musical motif there. ;P (But I wonder what the other default names in the game will be?)

Last edited:

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Nooooooooo, all these name changes. How could they change the Apricorn Case to the Apricorn Box, now it doesn't sound as cool. Not to mention all the Rocket Executives, their names weren't even Japanese in the Japanese version why change them again. Also there's Gold, I'm pretty sure he was called Jimmy in Gold, what happened to Jimmy why is he Ethan now?

Gold_fan

Brain over - Insert Coin.
    Years
    Nooooooooo, all these name changes. How could they change the Apricorn Case to the Apricorn Box, now it doesn't sound as cool. Not to mention all the Rocket Executives, their names weren't even Japanese in the Japanese version why change them again. Also there's Gold, I'm pretty sure he was called Jimmy in Gold, what happened to Jimmy why is he Ethan now?

I totally agree with you here o:
    Jimmy was much better than the "Ethan" one but maybe they wanted to name the character with something closer to "Kenta" ?
    I still think Jimmy is better though :/

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ^ I believe Jimmy was thanks to a manga? Don't believe it was ever the case with the games. He was commonly known as Gold in GSC to fans (and also due to PokeSpecial Manga I believe?) as it was the default name for him, but now HG/SS gave him a name now, as he's a pseudo-rival if you don't choose him and all. Jimmy wasn't too unlikely though I suppose, but the localisation people decided to go with Ethan instead. (Of course if we choose him we can name him whatever we want anyways XD).

This isn't necessarily all of the names though - I wonder what the default name for the rival (Silver) will be in HGSS? (Besides being called 'Passerby Boy' in the first battle - mean the name that's given when you input nothing when asked what his name is).

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Hmmmmm...... The name Lyra seems to fit this picture: https://reka-chan.deviantart.com/art/SxM-Let-s-Battle-124547529 (note: you probably won't be able to understand this unless you know of the Megaman Starforce anime)

Also Archer, as in Captain Archer from Star Trek

Either way, I'm naming my character Jimmy when I get it, cause I hate the name Ethan (seriously, it's the same name as my annoying as all hell cousin)

Last edited:

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
    Years
    ^ I believe Jimmy was thanks to a manga?

Nope, blame The Legend of Thunder for that one.

This isn't necessarily all of the names though - I wonder what the default name for the rival (Silver) will be in HGSS? (Besides being called 'Passerby Boy' in the first battle - mean the name that's given when you input nothing when asked what his name is).

Apparently, it defaults to either Heart or Soul, depending on your version. Come on, Game Freak, it's been ten years! Give the poor boy a proper name already!

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I'm not a big fan of Ethan but honestly I like it better than Jimmy. Never liked Jimmy as his name. That's really the only name I find myself being disappointed in, the rest sounds fine to me.

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
    Years
    Alrighty, time to post my whinging on another forum. Cut and paste, go!

Lyra's a bit unusual. Eh, points for creativity.

Ethan...not seeing the musical/echo relation there. Mind you, I'm not very bright. Any ideas? On a different note, it's gonna be strange, considering I've referred to the G/S boy as Taylor for the past decade. Long story.

The Rockets? Lance's name change was inevitable, but Proton? I'm having a flashback to science classes. Aren't protons the opposite of neutrons or something? It's just weird, is all.

Another flashback with regards to Petrel. I remember suscribing to "Cocky's Circle" (part of Family Circle magazine, I believe), a kid's club thingo. All members were given bird names. The club name I was awarded was Petrel with a whole bunch a numbers after it. Disappointing for a seven-year-old girl who wanted something like Rainbow or Unicorn. Clearly I missed the point of a club run by a cockatoo. But I digress. Can anyone really take gang members named Proton and Petrel seriously?

Athena to Arianna. Well, they're both Greek, I guess. The odd one out of sorts, what with Arianna being a fairly normal name.

Archer? Okay for a code name, but certainly not as strong with the rocket theme as Apollo.

Dowsing MCHN? Oh, come on! I thought the days of shortened names were long gone. 'Course, if they had just stuck to Itemfinder in D/P/P, we wouldn't be in this situation. Ugh.

Jade Orb? Uh, localisation team? Do you remember the Red and Blue Orbs from Gen 3? Doesn't sound like it. Jade Orb kinda sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sinjoh Ruins. Heh heh, bit like Tohjo Falls.

Mystri Stage? Please be a combination of 'mystic' and 'triad'. Otherwise, it just shows that someone can't spell 'mystery'.

Embedded Tower. I haven't played the games yet, but is the tower embedded in something? If not, it doesn't make sense. Thought, I suppose one could say it's the hidden Embedded Tower, huh?

In summary, what's with the localisation bringing in all these off-kilter stuff?

Back