• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HGSS Official English Names Thread

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    Haha!

Serebii is a horrible place for information, to not cite information in this day and age is beyond ridiculous, and can't be excused. And he writes news in such a vague way that when things are clarified he can claim that he was 'right'...
    You do realise what the concept of insider sources is? I can't reveal them

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    So GB sounds allows you to listen to the sounds of the originals? Do I need the games or is the music already insde the HG/SS?
    The GB Sounds does allow you to listen to the old 8 Bit sounds from the original GSC, yes. :D However, you only receive it in the games after you collect all 16 Gym Badges in the Celadon Mansion. Your question was a little confusing, but more or less this should answer your question (I think...) :|

Also, doing a little browsing on Serebii and apparently nine of the Pokéathlon event names for the US has been revealed. These could be subject to change prior to the release of the games, but it is highly unlikely. Luckily, for those of you who liked the Japanese names of the Pokéathlon events, the US names are relatively the same with only a few actual changes to some.

https://serebii.net/index2.shtml

(US Name - Japanese Name)

Spoiler:

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
    I like Kotone and Hibiki's English name. This made me can't wait to play the English HGSS.

But I don't like most of the name localizations tho :/ Such as Athena to Arriana and Lance to Proton. But in Lance's case, I think it's for differing him with the Elite Four Lance. XD

Dragonpiece

Fan Since 1999
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2016
    Ethan....Ethan, SERIOUSLY?! I am definitely glad we can changed the name of the character is all I can say on that one.

Years
    I like the name Ethan, it is my name and that is why I like it. Also the name Jimmy is the anime name, if it happened in the anime, it won't happen in a Pokemon game. Pokemon Yellow is an exception. Wasn't there a Lyra Forest in Pokemon Ranger?

Also I'm guessing trainers are going to be renamed, since there is a PokeManiac Ethan in Pokemon GSC.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    I like the name Ethan, it is my name and that is why I like it. Also the name Jimmy is the anime name, if it happened in the anime, it won't happen in a Pokemon game. Pokemon Yellow is an exception. Wasn't there a Lyra Forest in Pokemon Ranger?

Also I'm guessing trainers are going to be renamed, since there is a PokeManiac Ethan in Pokemon GSC.

Nah, I doubt that. Since the male player's name would only be Ethan if you don't pick him or name him that yourself. And since it's just a player name I don't think the conflict matters that much.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Ethan is OK, but that calls up to mind Ethan from Power Rangers Dino Thunder (I have a thing on minimizing name sharing as much as possible, though names are bound to be shared eventually). I've decided on calling myself (playing as Gold) Skyler, to relate to Ho-Oh and the skies :).

With Kotone, I was really hoping for Harmony. Lyra sounds like the name of a middle-aged woman... I guess it'll grow on me though. It's nice that the harp meaning was preserved, too!

Petrel and Arianna are nice names. Especially Petrel, since I know no one by that name and it seems unique. Awesome that the "rocket" theme was kept. I noticed that 4 other planets from the Team Galactic names could be used, too... (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Neptune). And yes, Pluto is a planet!! (The US renaming to Charon sucked)

Magnus is an awesome name, by default. :)

Archer would seem more like a code name... Apollo seemed more fitting.

And WTF, who names their son "Proton"? Nerds, I'm guessing. Even worse, protons have positive charge, while Team Rocket's motives are usually negative... Lance, Vance...something other than a random chemistry particle? This one just irritated me...

It's odd how people make a big deal out of names sometimes... Personally, the fact that I have to see some of these annoying names over and over will bug me...

Eh, things could have been worse...I wonder what Baoba will be named?

----------

As for the items:

Apricorn Case seems much better than box. Box seems so generic these days...

Berry Pots I'm still iffy about, Berry Planter was already good...

The Itemfinder being renamed and abbreviated bugs me. Even in Generation IV, items still need abbreviations? Dowsing Machine sounds cooler though, so there's a plus.

Enigma Stone ruins it for me. I'm presuming this renaming was due to space constraints, but Enigma Crystal sounded much more...enigmatic and mysterious, if you will. Too many Stones in the Pokemon world, nowadays...

GB Sounds annoys me, since the item picture shows an actual player. Moreover, you can't really hold sound(s). But the change seems more like a PokeGear upgrade (similar to the Hoenn and Sinnoh Sounds), so that sort of rectifies it for me...

The Jade Orb bothers me... Rayquaza's game featured Emerald prominently, so why is Jade being used? If it was Emerald Orb, I wouldn't be as annoyed. Jade is supposed to be the name of a future main series Pokemon game! :) I'd really like it if the orb was called Green Orb, to keep in line with the ordinarily-named Red and Blue Orbs of RSE.

Pass seems way too vague...

Wave Bell sounds cool, but I'm alright with Tidal Bell...

Ugh...why is Compe Ball renamed? The event is a contest, not a sport... Sheesh, I already got annoyed with the change in design (from the anime; I know this PokeBall never really had a design in the games in the first place). Ultimately, I'd prefer the original label of Park Ball (the Pal Park Balls seem like they should be named GS Balls due to their intricate nature...). And even my second choice, Compe Ball, sounded cool, but "Sport" Ball just ruins it...
    Sport Ball even seems like it be a Poke Ball-stylized beach ball, even...

The only thing that bugs me about the Pokéathlon is the pronounciation...?

Aprijuice sounds very odd. I'm at a loss as to what it was called before, but couldn't Apricola be a nice alternative, or something?

I like the Sinjoh Ruins combination of Sinnoh and Johto (I previously thought they were just going to be the Silent Ruins).

Lol at Mystri Stage being an incorrect spelling of 'mystery'. I don't have an alternative, so I guess I'll just stick with it for now...

Embedded Tower sounds odd as well. At least Hidden Tower referenced its special nature, in a way...

Despite a few quirks, I'm still awaiting HG/SS (the games still aren't out in English, so names could still be changed as nothing's 100% confirmed yet)! :D

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    I already hated Kotone for replacing kris, but whats up with Lyra? I don't like the name, and why did they give Gold a name?? they kept it Red and Green in FRLG, why not here??

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Bulbapedia should hurry up and change "Gold"'s name to Ethan.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Bulbapedia don't consider any of the English names to be confirmed. Because really they aren't, we only have Serebii's word.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    GYM LEADER GREENS COMFIRMED NAME!!!!

*Drum roll*
    Gym leader greens us name will be:

Spoiler:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Gym leader greens us name will be:

Spoiler:
    Yeah, I was expecting Green's US name to remain as Blue. There really was no required effort to change it (as it was the same in the original English games GSC), other than the US receiving a remake of Red and Green, rather than Blue. However, I'm pretty much content with Blue keeping his original US name as there was no change. :) Therefore, it at least keeps the aspect of nostalgia for the last remaining gym in Kanto.

Dang, I thought his name was going to be Gary. o3o
    Nope, that's the same as saying they should have named Red, Ash instead. They wouldn't have taken the Anime names to rename what was done in the original GSC. Rather they might have thought of something new, such as how they changed Gold's name to Ethan over Jimmy.

Last edited:

Bwazzam

*explosion noise*
    Years
    Actually, I didn't want Red to be "Ash". For some reason, I thought Blue was going to be Gary.

Ahh, whatever. I like Blue more than Gary anyway.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Oh man... If he was Green this time, it would help clear up the Blue/Green stuff and maybe people would just start to call him Green instead of different random ones...

If they were going to call him Gary, he would have been called Shigeru in the Japanese version.

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
    Yeah, I figured they retconned the Rival's name with FR/LG. Oh, well. I'm still calling him Green, it sounds more fitting, since Blue sounds too nice. Besides, I can't go and change his name in Leafgreen. So... I'm still calling him Green.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I now figure that "Green" is the canon English name for the FR/LG female player character.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    Yeah, I was kinda hoping they'd keep him Green, but meh it doesn't really make that much of a difference for me.

Back