• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hibernate, sleep or shut down?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pretty simple question tbh. When it comes to your computer, do you hibernate, or do you just straight off shut down, or put it in sleep mode until you use it?

Orrrrr do you do all three, or two out of the three, depending on the circumstances?

As for me, I always use hibernate, I very rarely shut down tbh. In fact, I'm more likely to get a BSOD than actually shut down myself, lool.

(actually tbh I can't remember what computers can do, so hey if it only applies to laptops, then only apply the question to laptops!)

Edit okay apparently prior to windows 7 you could only sleep or hibernate, go with either of those options to make your choice then.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm not sure whether this is hibernation or sleep mode, but basically I lock the laptop so noone can get in past my password and then I shut the lid.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    AHEM, using XP so I'm going to ignore "hibernate".

Anyways, it depends on what I have open at the moment. When I have an important web page up and I don't freakin' know where I found it, I'd leave it on sleep. Otherwise, I just shut it down.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My laptop takes a long time to start up, so I put it in sleep mode instead of shutting it down. The only time I turn it off is when there are updates.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Shut Down.
    I almost always shut down. I use Sleep only sometimes, when the situation calls for it.

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I normally just leave my PC on. No sleep mode/hibernate. Only time I shut down is when my PC crashes.

Years
  • Shut down, unplug.

My parents are always whining about power and stuff. But tbh thanks to the awesomeness that is Windows 7 it doesn't take long to start back up x]

Years
  • AHEM, using XP so I'm going to ignore "hibernate".

Anyways, it depends on what I have open at the moment. When I have an important web page up and I don't freakin' know where I found it, I'd leave it on sleep. Otherwise, I just shut it down.

Hibernate is an option in XP. And last I checked, sleep mode was called Stand By mode in XP, at least in terms of how they work. So all three options are there, just under different names.

Anyways, I use a combination of Sleep mode and Shut downs depending on the time of day and where I am. Sometimes I just lock my computer if it's in the middle of something.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I use sleep mode most, the only time I shut down my computers is when it's required after an update, I'm restarting into another OS, or when there's a fairly large lightning storm going on.

Years
  • I never shut down my desktops.. (one of which runs as a web server) but I do shut down my laptops overnight if i run them.. however I never hibernate and I will occasionally use Sleep mode on my laptops if Im gonna be inactive, have no hard surface to put it on, but know I will be back at it later...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2011
    I always shut my computer down, and then unplug. we need to consider the earth's health.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • With my (current) laptop I always shut it down.

I learned to never put a laptop to sleep with my last laptop. Sure, it had plenty of other issues, but I do believe it would still be working today if I had got in the habit of just shutting it down (and with that, I might still have Wi-Fi -_-).

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I always turn it off and unplug. There was a time when I would hibernate it constantly, until I realized it made my computer slower over time. I hear it's a bad thing to always hibernate your PC, shutting down is what's best for it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Hibernate if I'm getting off for a long period of time but I have stuff open/not saved. Shut Down if I'm getting off for a long period of time and I saved everything. Sleep if it's plugged it and I'm only leaving for a little bit, or switching from a classroom to the cafeteria (at college, that is).

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I shut down every single time. I absolutely hate it when people leave electrical appliances on, there really is no need for it whatsoever and it wastes energy.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    Hibernate. It's like shutting down, but without all the loading time BS.

Back