• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Hidden Ties

What do you think of the storyline?

• Epic! One of the best I've seen!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Great, it's looking pretty good!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Mediocre, could definitely be better.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • An embarrassment to hackers everywhere.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Oh, a note for you all. I could really use some help with this project. I've been doing everything so far by myself, and I'm making out alright, but some assistance would really be appreciated. At the moment I need a World Map drawer/inserter, an intro screen editor, and a sprite inserter/tester. If you can help out, let me know, all of these are areas that I'm weak in.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
    Years
  • Right now I've got no ideas for a special side quest/mission...But for the Setmaptile scripts, you could put a setmaptile command in the Map's level script, after it checks a certain flag. I think that should make it work.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Right now I've got no ideas for a special side quest/mission...But for the Setmaptile scripts, you could put a setmaptile command in the Map's level script, after it checks a certain flag. I think that should make it work.
    Hm, yeah, I heard something to that effect from the Script Help thread, but I wasn't exactly sure how to work that. For the moment I'm just going to take the easy way out, as at this point it really doesn't matter that much at this point, but I'll have to mess around with that some. Thanks for the tip!
    I'm going to go ahead and reveal one of the side quests, just to give you an idea of what they're like, and to bare it to suggestions for improvement. Basically, this first side quest is just a simple endurance-battle challenge, only one that's run by wild Pokemon rather than trainers. After you reach a certain point in the game, you will be able to access an area from which you were previously warned away. There you'll battle a series of wild Pokemon, all high in level. After beating each Pokemon, if you take one step back from the tile on which that Pokemon challenged you, the battle is reset and you have to do it all over again. Defeat all of the wild Pokemon, either by knocking them out or capturing them (note: I inadvertantly created an ideal opportunity to 'farm' rare Pokemon here, but I suppose it can't be helped...), and you will be able to face off against the area's "Guardian." I might also throw in a treasure room of some sort. Anyway, it's a pretty basic idea, nothing too original, but I'm a great believer in the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (which is why I'm using Firered tiles too, btw :P).
    Finally, I also have a story update. Here's chapter 3, be sure to let me know what you think! Again, this is probably a lot more detailed than the event in the hack itself will be.

Chapter 3: Inner Strength
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I like this chapter, but my only question is, how will you play out that battle scene?

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Like I said, the game won't be near as detailed. I'll just have the murmers from the dark, then a battle with a wild Sneasel.
    Oh, and I'll also mess with Ralts' moveset, obviously.
    UPDATE: I've finished the first alpha. Now to beta test and clean up any bugs, then I should have a release for you.

Last edited:

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Okay, hopefully this update will be my last before the big release :)
    Giradialkia, Hidden Ties' illustrious and impossibly cool beta tester, just informed me that my houses are warping him to the middle of nowhere. Literally (though, in all fairness, the middle of nowhere also warps you right back). The good side of this is that these mess-ups on my part let you gain access to trainers earlier than you normally would. The downside, those trainers are roughly twice your level :P
    I'm working on fixing that, along with a ladder that doesn't like to be used and a few other issues. Luckily there haven't been any really major bugs yet, as far as I know, so I'll just fix these issues and send it along for another test, at which point, well, we shall see...

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
    Years
  • Okay, hopefully this update will be my last before the big release :)
    Giradialkia, Hidden Ties' illustrious and impossibly cool beta tester, just informed me that my houses are warping him to the middle of nowhere. Literally (though, in all fairness, the middle of nowhere also warps you right back). The good side of this is that these mess-ups on my part let you gain access to trainers earlier than you normally would. The downside, those trainers are roughly twice your level :P
    I'm working on fixing that, along with a ladder that doesn't like to be used and a few other issues. Luckily there haven't been any really major bugs yet, as far as I know, so I'll just fix these issues and send it along for another test, at which point, well, we shall see...

Cool, I can't wait to play the Beta release. I don't know about the 'warping to the middle of nowhere' part, but I can fathom a good guess why the ladder doesn't work. In the games, the ladder/cave exits have tiles directly around them with specific Behavior Bytes:

Spoiler:

I hope it helps.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Cool, I can't wait to play the Beta release. I don't know about the 'warping to the middle of nowhere' part, but I can fathom a good guess why the ladder doesn't work. In the games, the ladder/cave exits have tiles directly around them with specific Behavior Bytes:

Spoiler:

I hope it helps.
    Lol, yeah, actually I had already fixed this. I just used the basic "use warp" behavior byte. Thanks though!

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Don't EVER write text in the grass... it looks plain ugly... BLEGH
    Lol, sorry. It doesn't look as bad in-game though.
    Okay, fixed issues with the first attempt and sent it back for a retest... we're having some problems with warps that don't make any sense.

Years
  • Like I said, the game won't be near as detailed. I'll just have the murmers from the dark, then a battle with a wild Sneasel.
    Oh, and I'll also mess with Ralts' moveset, obviously.
    UPDATE: I've finished the first alpha. Now to beta test and clean up any bugs, then I should have a release for you.

Makes perfect sense to me :)

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Okay, the warp problem has been fixed, though it messed up the ROM enough that I had to pull out a backup and reconstruct a lot of what I'd completed thus far. It's going through a second beta-test, and hopefully will have some new Pokemon inserted as well.

Dark.vs.Light

Budding Guitarist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2011
    Oh, a note for you all. I could really use some help with this project. I've been doing everything so far by myself, and I'm making out alright, but some assistance would really be appreciated. At the moment I need a World Map drawer/inserter, an intro screen editor, and a sprite inserter/tester. If you can help out, let me know, all of these are areas that I'm weak in.

If you still need help, I'll give you a hand. I'm fairly good with inserting sprites via UNLZ, if that's what you mean by a sprite inserter/tester. This project has slowly grown since I first saw it. So, yeah, I'd like to help in an way possible.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    If you still need help, I'll give you a hand. I'm fairly good with inserting sprites via UNLZ, if that's what you mean by a sprite inserter/tester. This project has slowly grown since I first saw it. So, yeah, I'd like to help in an way possible.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it, but I've already got a sprite inserter for the time being. However, if the need arises, would you be able to insert a new set of hero sprites, back and front?
    Oh, and do you do custom sprites, btw? I'm going to need at least one, probably two of those, one Pokemon and one trainer.

Dark.vs.Light

Budding Guitarist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks, I really appreciate it, but I've already got a sprite inserter for the time being. However, if the need arises, would you be able to insert a new set of hero sprites, back and front?
    I suppose I could. Depends if they need to be custom or if they are going to be from another game. I'm not great with custom stuff, you see.
    Oh, and do you do custom sprites, btw? I'm going to need at least one, probably two of those, one Pokemon and one trainer.
    I could have a go, I think. I'm not great with custom stuff, as I already mentioned. But if it'll help this hack along, I could take a look at spriting tutorials, and get something done for you.

Edit: Reuploading banner at Trebornosliw's "request."
    Here it is again with a proper BBCode this time.
    banner10.png

(BBCode) Remove the stars! [IMG*]http://i12.servimg.com/u/f12/14/62/07/92/banner10.png[/IMG*]

Last edited:

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    @DarkvsLight, okay, well, I've got someone doing the hero sprites for me so those will be pre-made. I'll get back to you on the customs, first I need to figure out exactly what I'll need. Thanks!

...WHOA! That's awesome! I didn't even see that banner till just now. I'll stick it on post 1 right away, thanks a bunch!
    ...............................why is it gone when I refresh?
    Okay, have it back now. Thanks again!

@Zein, you mean the OW palettes? I agree. Care to offer an alternative, from an in-game palette?

Last edited:

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    This is a high quality hack.
    Not many people appreciate the time and effort that goes into a short sequence ingame.
    Comming up with new revolutionary ways to play the game is by far what seperates this hack.
    There are thousands of hacks that have the same type storyline in them, several however have risen up to meet a higher standard of hack.
    One being Toxic purple, that truely gave everyone a glimpse of what hacking should be like pure new untainted ideas.
    Your storyline is that of a proffesional writer. The features are collected together in a mix and match type way that works along the basis that our actions contribute to an outcome. The time you have obviously put into this is monumental.

Anyone who reads this pleease give the creator some praise. In which his hack is truly worthy of.
    I have high expectations for this hack.

trebornosliw

Learning
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    This is a high quality hack.
    Not many people appreciate the time and effort that goes into a short sequence ingame.
    Comming up with new revolutionary ways to play the game is by far what seperates this hack.
    There are thousands of hacks that have the same type storyline in them, several however have risen up to meet a higher standard of hack.
    One being Toxic purple, that truely gave everyone a glimpse of what hacking should be like pure new untainted ideas.
    Your storyline is that of a proffesional writer. The features are collected together in a mix and match type way that works along the basis that our actions contribute to an outcome. The time you have obviously put into this is monumental.

Anyone who reads this pleease give the creator some praise. In which his hack is truly worthy of.
    I have high expectations for this hack.
    ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
    Wow. Thanks! Maybe I should submit this for some sort of Nobel prize.
    Erm, anyhoo, I want to let you all know that beta testing is just about completed. I've instituted all the changes recommended by Giradialkia, and I'll be making the final test tonight. By tomorrow, if all goes well, you'll have an alpha!
    Thanks for your support everyone, especially Dry, whose support is beginning to border on idol worship (but in a good way).
    Oh, and we've Giradialkia has inserted five new Pokemon that you should run into at some point, most taken from my personal favorites (hint: Weavile is God).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back