• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen HMmmm....

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
  • ITT: https://scorpaeniform.tumblr.com/post/6447537884/i-was-always-called-an-hm-slave-by-master-i
    https://scorpaeniform.tumblr.com/post/6447537884/i-was-always-called-an-hm-slave-by-master-i
    https://scorpaeniform.tumblr.com/post/6447537884/i-was-always-called-an-hm-slave-by-master-i

Who do you put your HMs on in Generation V?

Swanna # Surf / Dive / Fly
    Panpour # Surf / Cut
    Scrafty # Strength / Dig
    Ferrothorn # Flash

I don't have a Waterfall user yet.

Since Dig / Flash are (infinite use) TMs, this Generation effectively ruled them out as necessary at all -___- You can just swap it in and out at your will. Escape Rope? Psh.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ducklett for surf, dive and fly.
    Samurott for waterfall, surf and cut (I also have false swipe on him).
    My Gigalith knows strength as well, but I don't consider it as a HM slave. I don't know what Pokémon I used the other HMs on...

I haven't really found a "perfect" HM slave yet, I'll keep looking. Or I might just get Bidoof/Bibarel. The thing I really miss is a good HM slave for fly. When I was looking for one in HG/SS I found out that Aerodactyl probably was the best one but still not that good.

Btw, that link, I got comic based on it. https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7793/1306458786266.png
    It makes my eyes so tearful. ;_;

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I put Surf, Dive and Waterfall on Samurott (I removed both later on), Fly on Archeops, Cut on Pansear and Strength on Sawk and Excadrill.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I used one of the monkey Pokemon or a spare Herdier generally, although a Biberal and Golduck in post-E4 sure helped with exploring all those rivers/waterfalls/underwater areas. I kept Fly on my Archeops.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hmmmmmmm.

Well! I remember using Zekrom post-elite four as my Fly slave, but since then that's kinda changed and any flying Pokemon is basically my Fly slave now. Not sure what I used before Zekrom, though... :( I definitely know Samurott was used for Surf before the elite four, while for post game, I'm not really sure, I think I used whatever I came across. And Emboar had Strength, iirc. And Pansage = obv Cut slave. In fact, I can barely remember my team post-elite four. XD

But still, that story made me feel bad! ;__;

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
  • I have a remoraid with waterfall dive surf that I pull out when ever I need him, and I have a makuhita with strength, and an oddish with cut, since they're not really used that often.

I do really enjoy that HM's aren't required to get around as much as before, so I haven't really used the HM slaves that much (hoenn basically said you MUST have peliper in your team for surf and fly).

smithtism

Blank
    Years
  • Samurott: Surf, Waterfall(deleted)
    Stoutland: Strength, Surf
    Unfezant: Fly
    Liepard: Cut
    I kept this up until I beat the Elite Four and got a better team. I didn't use HM moves often after that (except Surf and Fly, obviously:P). Personally I think those two are the only really useful moves for battling. The others are rarely all that effective.

Katja

Years
  • I put my HMs on anyone who can use them/I don't care about. HM slaves FTW. But it's such a pain to withdraw them if I don't have space. e 3e

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Pretty much anyone was an HM slave if needed up until I got to the Elite four. Even used Emboar for Strength.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
    Years
  • As of right now I have Surf on my Samurott, Strength on my Sawk and my Golurk knows Fly. Of course, my Golurk will always know Fly. Cruising across the skies in the arms of a robot? How awesome is that?! :)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's always the Bibarel + Tropius combo for me. Before I got them, though, I got away with Samurott, Watchog and Swoobat. They have all HMs and Flash!

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    Well I haven't completed the game as of yet so haven't really thought out my HMs.

Swoobat has fly.

As for the rest of my team, I don't know what I will do, I probably will pick up a few HM slaves, although switching about will be a pain, although as someone else as said, I've noticed you don't really need to use HMs as much to get around in Unova (luckily!)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I generally don't have specific HM slaves. I just teach them to whoever can learn them in my main party, and then delete the moves when I no longer need them, unless they're already good battle moves like Surf on Sp. Attackers, and Waterfall and Fly on Physical Attackers. Strength is also decent, and I keep it in my team until well into the post-game where I no longer need it, at which point I replace it with something better.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, in my first run I used these:

HM01 Cut - unused / Simisear (not a team-member beyond Castelia City)
    HM02 Fly - Braviary (only post-E4, as I couldn't find one on GTS to breed from until then).
    HM03 Surf - Samurott
    HM04 Strength - Druddigon
    HM05 Waterfall - Buizel
    HM06 Dive - Buizel

Buizel was a HM Slave. Fly was deleted afterwards, because I wanted Brave Bird.

On my second run:

HM01 Cut - Simisage (Deleted just before E4)
    HM02 Fly - Unfezant
    HM03 Surf - Frillish
    HM04 Strength - Krookodile
    HM05 Waterfall - none, never got that far.
    HM06 Dive - as above.

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
  • HM01 Cut - I actually don't remember, pretty sure it was on my monkey though.
    HM02 Fly - It was on some random Pidove until I caught Resharim. Best use of a legendary ever, amirite?
    HM03 Surf - Samurott. I always choose the water starter, so it always winds up being an HM Slave. ;_;
    HM04 Strength - Stoutland because it isn't too bad of a move to be on my main team.
    HM05 Waterfall - Samurott.
    HM06 Dive - Samurott.

Also, that story is why I try not to use HM Slaves. >_>; [/softie]

Years
  • lol, I don't see why you would need HM slaves on this region.

Cut - Useless once you find the items behind the trees
    Fly - Keep
    Strength - Useless once you've scoured the Abyssal Ruins and pushed all the boulders into holes
    Dive - Useless once you've scoured the Abyssal Ruins
    Waterfall - Useless after you've gotten Landorus at the Shrine
    Surf - Keep

Umm yeah.

Years
  • well.... for this gen I had my shiny birael transfer from my hg to white. I haven't use any hm slave yet except for strength birael. Other than that I use surf on samurott. :D

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
    Years
  • ----------Postgame-----------
    Unfezant: Fly
    Shiny Basculin: Surf & Dive
    Krookodile: Strength & Cut
    Serperior: Flash
    -----------Ooold------------
    Stoutland: Surf & Strength (After I replaced Stoutland with Cobalion for Strength and my Shiny Basculin for surf)
    Unfezant: Still Fly
    Serperior (sometimes) haves Flash

Back