• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ho-Oh or Lugia?

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
Years
  • I have and will always be a Lugia fan. Ever since Silver Version came out, it has been one of my favorite Pokemon. I never really cared much for Ho-Oh anyways.

Lugia.<3 I had silver first so, it was always Lugia. Plus, it looks so much cooler. XD

Lugia has my vote, it looks cooler than Ho-Oh, and is awesome!

People, please.

There is no competition. Lugia is the best and always will be. v_v

And that's final. :srsbsns:
    The above people have all expressed the truth: Lugia for the ultimate victory! Ho-oh, screw you!

And Movie 13 will be an epic movie, no doubt.

Finnel

Years
  • This thread needs a poll. Well, Lugia would win anyway due to the stupid amount of fanboys it has.

Ho-oh. Lugia looks so freaking simple and its wings are pure freaks of nature, I have never liked Lugia.

The only bad thing about Ho-oh is the sprites from 3rd gen to 4th gen. Way to go Nintendo, giving it the exactly same ugly pose every time. What happened to the creative front-angle that it had in its first official art? That looked beautiful.

I will be so angry if Lugia gets a bigger role than Ho-oh in the 13th movie. I don't even watch the movies much but seriously, Lugia already had its own movie centered around it.

loucas

100% hot
    Years
  • I have heard that there is one, and Ho-oh and Lugia star in it, clashing against each other.

Also, Ho-oh would win. I am not saying this because I like him more, but its proven. Lugia has really bad Defense, so a Sacred Fire would do way more damage than an Aeroblast or Hydro Pump. Its been proven, Ho-oh takes Lugia's HP down to the yellow with a Normal Effective move, while Lugia doesnt with a move that is Super Effevtive against Ho-Oh.

See what i mean? Ho-oh is just so amazing cuz it...did...Dalilah (sp?), and she made Ash
    Sorry, forgot this wasnt the DCC x3

like duh? lugia has hydro pump that will OHKO your Awesome-but-not-as-awesome as lugia.. lugia has good defences also, which makes you wrong gaga

loucas

100% hot
    Years
  • I have heard that there is one, and Ho-oh and Lugia star in it, clashing against each other.

Also, Ho-oh would win. I am not saying this because I like him more, but its proven. Lugia has really bad Defense, so a Sacred Fire would do way more damage than an Aeroblast or Hydro Pump. Its been proven, Ho-oh takes Lugia's HP down to the yellow with a Normal Effective move, while Lugia doesnt with a move that is Super Effevtive against Ho-Oh.

See what i mean? Ho-oh is just so amazing cuz it...did...Dalilah (sp?), and she made Ash
    Sorry, forgot this wasnt the DCC x3

like duh? lugia has hydro pump that will OHKO your Awesome-but-not-as-awesome as lugia.. lugia has good defences also, which makes you wrong gaga

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I have heard that there is one, and Ho-oh and Lugia star in it, clashing against each other.

I'd really like to know where you pull out these supposedly proven facts of yours. (I have a pretty good hunch, but I won't go there) Lugia's base stats in HP, Defense and Special Defense are 106, 130 and 154 respectively. These are some pretty high stats even on Uber standards. Your comparison also fails to take into account factors such as:

Typing
    Movepool
    Viability in the Uber metagame in general
    Stealth Rock damage (Lugia's 25% switch-in damage versus Ho-oh's 50%)
    And most importantly, you're assuming that both players are merely throwing strong offensive moves at each other. Lugia is most commonly used as a wall (and a damn good one, even though its Defense is "proven to be bad") and with its higher base Speed, Lugia can use Toxic, set up Reflect and proceed to stall Ho-oh out of Sacred Fires while it's fainting from Toxic. Even with Sacred Fire's incredible Burn rate, I doubt Ho-oh could beat Lugia without getting lucky with critical hits.

Even if Ho-oh would beat Lugia more often than not, it tells us nothing about which one is better in general. Pokémon is not a 1-on-1 game so when comparing two Pokémon, it should not be treated as such. Ho-oh is not only crippled by its 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, but it's just asking for Palkia to come in and wreak havoc and gets royally screwed over by Kyogre as well. In terms of sweeping, it's physically outclassed in many ways by Rayquaza and Groudon and as a special sweeper, it's stopped right in its tracks by Blissey, something many of the other special sweepers in Ubers can deal with despite its massive HP and Special Defense. Defensively, I'd say Lugia is better despite those nasty weaknesses to Ghost and Ice that Ho-oh lacks. I'd really want Ho-oh to be usable and to be fair, it's not utterly terrible, but with the amount of Pokémon in the Uber metagame that are resistant to Fire, it just gives too many opportunities for some of the nastiest threats in Ubers to come in.

That said, I obviously prefer Lugia in terms of usefulness. As for design, I really like Ho-oh, but I'd have to say Lugia wins in that department, too.

Years
  • Ho-oh because he was the first legendairy i ever caught, and his shiny form is soooooooo awesome

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Between these two, my choice will always be Ho-oh. Sacred Ash FTW

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Ho-oh would probably win in the end. Sacred Fire has 50% burn chance, so once the Burn Procced, it would be a matter of stalling until Lugia was out of health. Also, Hydro Pump is a 2HKO assuming Stealth Rock, it is a risky 2-3HKO without SR, which in a one on one wouldn't be in play. If it was a 3HKO, Roost would come to the rescue to save Ho-oh's ass. Due to Pressure, if it was a 3HKO and a roost got off, then Hydro Pump would be gone and Lugia would lose. Now the movie probably won't involve a stall war...Probably.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I really like Lugia more, but don't know which is better.
    Ho-oh proves to be stronger then Lugia.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • So many people base their arguments off Hydro Pump.

https://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lugia

Ctrl + F, type in Hydro Pump. S#it yourselves.

Even in Lugia's most offensive set, the Calm Minder, Hydro Pump isn't an option. (That's more based on the Uber Dragons than on Ho-Oh, but still.) It's not even in the list of Other Options.

Someone do me a favor and run calcs on max SpA +0 Lugia's Hydro Pump @ Life Orb, vs. min HP/SpD Ho-Oh. Just 'cause.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Ho-Oh = a seriously overgrown ancestor of Fearow.

Lugia FTW. It looks cooler and water is my favourite type ^^

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
  • Of course it would depend on the EV's, nature, etc. of the Lugia if it was battling a Ho-oh. If it had good Special Defence, was holding a Mystic Water, and Special Attack wouldn't hurt, then it might be able to take down Ho-oh. I'm not into all the advanced EV values so it's probably easy to prove me wrong, but that's my opinion.

Plus, Lugia is just epic and looks...really, really cool.[/lame argument]

I would like to see some more of Ho-oh, though :/ They haven't based a movie on it yet so I'm excited to see what they have planned for movie 13.

SquirtleGirl said:
    And water is my favorite type.
    Sorry, but Lugia is Psychic/Flying, not Water :/

Back