• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hoenn/Kanto Journey Journal - Want to share your travelling stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
Having gotten a four star trainer card in Pokemon Ruby by completing all the contests, booting out the elite four, conquering the battle tower, and completing the Hoenn Dex, my travels now bring me to Kanto in Fire Red on the ultimate third gen quest to complete the National Dex. (Not including Mew, Celebi, Jirachi and Deoxys)

The copy of Fire Red I had purchased was halted right at the elite four, so I finished the previous owner's game and traded Kabuto and Suicune to my copy of Ruby. After that I reset the file and picked Bulbasaur as my starter. We defeated Brock and I captured a Clefairy in Mt. Moon. After deafeating Misty I captured a Diglett which later evolved into Dugtrio. I got through Rock Tunnel, beat up Giovanni the first time, and played the slots for a long time to get some TMs. I acquired an Eevee which I evolved into Flareon, and it is currently my strongest Pokemon. Still need to play the slots a bit more to get the Flamethrower TM.

Current Team:

Ivysaur (M) Lv 29
Moveset: Secret Power, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf

Clefable (F) Lv. 31
Moveset: Shock Wave, Ice Beam, Mega Punch, Brick Break

Dugtrio (M) Lv. 30
Moveset: Mud-Slap, Scratch, Dig, Magnitude

Flareon (M) Lv. 29
Moveset: Dig, Shadow Ball, Growl, Quick Attack

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
Years
Lately I've been occasionally battling the Elite 4 on Pokemon Emerald, I already beat the champion but have been raising my team for a while, I'm aiming to get them to around Lv70 at which point I'll transfer them accross to Pokemon X or Alpha Sapphire.

My team so far

Sceptile Lv55
Sealeo Lv38 (holding Exp share)
Camerupt Lv54
Gardevoir Lv55
Flygon Lv54
Heracross Lv58

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
An update on what's going on!

I completed my FireRed file late last night with a really great team of Pokemon. My final team was Venusaur, Clefable, Dugtrio, Flareon, Omastar, and Electabuzz. Once the elite four were defeated I completed the post game stuff to trade Pokemon with Ruby/Sapphire. My ultimate goal as mentioned is to complete the national dex, so I spent the whole day off capturing and trading Pokemon. My Pokedex in Pokemon Ruby now has 256 Pokemon registered, with many more still available with just FireRed. I eventually need to buy a copy of LeafGreen, Colosseum, and a Game Cube in order to finish the Pokedex, (I already found a cheap copy of XD Gale) but for now I've still got lots to do in the games I have.

I also traded my Level 100 Metagross named Gargantula to my FireRed to teach it Explosion via move tutor. This will help me get more ribbons for Gargantula's ribbon collection, and in fact has already helped me win a few contests I couldn't beat before. Contests aren't the only factor though, as Gargantula's explosion will help out a lot on Mt. Battle in colosseum in the quest for Ho-oh, the equivalent in XD Gale to try and earn the Earth Ribbon, and it will also be useful in Ruby's Battle Tower to try and get the Level 100 Mode Ribbon to go with its level 50 mode ribbon. In summery, it's a big deal, and will help out a lot.

Entei was captured in a master ball, and I used an extra one I had obtained in Sapphire on Mewtwo. I normally like fighting Mewtwo legit, but I didn't really feel like training all my guys to the point where they could fight him. When I eventually go through Leaf Green with Squirtle I will be able to get Raikou, and have all three. I'll need to capture them in Colosseum anyway though, so I'll end up with two sets of them.

Currently I'm about to try some of the low level cute contests for more ribbons, and I will be slowly leveling up my Kingdra for the Battle Tower. (He helped out a lot in level 50 mode)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
Time for an update! I've been waiting for someone to post in here so I don't double post, but so much has happened that I feel I should update before it all gets forgotten.

I purchased a copy of Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, and played through that to get Lugia for Pokemon Ruby. It was my first time playing Gale of Darkness, and was overall a pretty entertaining game. Even though Colosseum is worse in almost every way, I'm really looking forward to playing it again when it arrives for me on Tuesday. I think I overall enjoyed Colosseum more despite its many frustrations, so I'm anxious to play it again for Ho-oh and other Johto Pokemon. In Gale of Darkness my main fighters were Flareon, Walrein, and Ampharos, with occasional help from ursaring. The game was overall pretty easy, and so getting Lugia wasn't that big of a hassle.

I did a lot of work trading, evolving, breeding and such to fill the pokedex up, and I'm currently at 331 Pokemon. I only need fourteen more Pokemon to fill the Kanto Pokedex!

While I could have gotten a lucky egg from Gale of Darkness, I really didn't feel like doing a big long series of fetch quests, so I thought I'd try and get one off of a Chansey in FireRed for a bit. I got stupidly lucky and actually got one on the second chansey I caught! Was very happy about that!

I finally obtained Pokerus in Ruby, and started training for Mt. Battle in Colosseum ahead of time. Speaking of which, I completed Mt. Battle twice in Gale of Darkness to obtain Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and an apicot berry.

The only way to test a team in Ruby/Sapphire for something like Mt. Battle is to take on the Battle Tower. After a few different combinations of Pokemon I had trained, I finally seemed to have a pretty good set of guys. I had a Metagross holding a Lum berry with Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Rest, and Selfdestruct; a Ludicolo with rain dish and leftovers that knew Rain dance, surf, giga drain, and ice beam; and finally a Flygon with Scope lens that knew Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Toxic, and Giga Drain. My goal was to earn the ribbons at battle #56, but to my absolute joy I managed to defeat 112 trainers in a row at the battle tower lv. 50 mode which got me the Gold Shield trophy for my secret base! I'm most certainly ready for Mt. Battle with a team like that. :)

Currently obtaining the remaining Pokemon I can get without Colosseum. I've just about fully 100% completed Pokemon Ruby!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
Well i was grinding and found shiny zubat and caught and later in the journey I found a shiny sableye one of my favourite Pokemon but I didn't have any pokeballs. :(

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
Years
Im playing on my Ipad - Pokemon fire red. Character name is Corbin

I started out my Journey today with charmander, he is growing alot and we caught a Pidgey today. so far he has leveled up to 9 and Charmander is level 13. We also ran into my rival Jake, and won against his team.
We are headed into the woods and training more and more and finally got Pidgey to level 14 and Charmander is level 15. I managed to catch a caterpie who evolved into metapod and is level 9 now. Anyways its off to the Gym with my team, but the bad thing its a rock gym and I think I am going to get wiped out!

Years
FireRed: I've been playing FireRed over the past week when there is time. So far we're at Fuschia City with 4 Gym Badges. My team consists of the following Pokemon:

- Fuego (Charizard) Lv.36
- PacDude (Primeape) Lv.35
- Bloodwing (Pidgeotto) Lv.35
- Aqua (Vaporeon) Lv.35
- Terra (Dugtrio) Lv.35
- Snorlax [no nickname yet] Lv.35

My team is pretty much ready to take on Koga based on matchup and moves, but would probably get steamrolled purely through level difference. A run through Route 12 and battling the trainers there should fix that. During my run for the Secret House at the Safari Zone, I had hit the jackpot and fished up a Lv.30 Dragonair out of the Water. After the Warden had re-obtained his teeth and given HM04 as a reward, I saved the game deciding on what move to make next; keep going and train at Route 12, or move off to the side and train Dragonair.

Emerald: I'm quite far through Emerald by this point, but it shouldn't hurt making an entry log for it as well.

Following a grueling battle against the Champion with a team of four Pokemon, I set off on a mission to track down and capture every legendary in the region. Rayquaza was caught with an Ultra Ball after a hard fought struggle. Groudon proved to be a pushover after the first Timer Ball was thrown. On my way back to the Weather Institute, I was sidetracked by Latias, who appeared unexpectedly. It fled soon after being jolted with a Thunder Wave; shortly after, I decided to take a break and wind down by participating at the Battle Frontier. My current team as it stands:

- Uliek (Swampert) Lv.54
- Huayra (Swellow) Lv.54
- Azure (Salamence) Lv.54
- Ferrus (Aggron) Lv.54
- Electra (Manectric) Lv.45
- HM goon (Zigzagoon the HM slave) Lv.5

Electra is a new addition to the team. She joined the team after the Elite Four had been defeated, but will prove useful on rematch runs. I also paid a visit to the Berry Master's home, where I was given a Spelon Berry. Along with a Lum Berry obtained at Lilycove, it was planted at a patch of soft soil at Route 121, where it will be watered daily until it is ready to harvest.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 2, 2015
I've already beaten the Hoenn story, so I'll share my adventures in the Battle Frontier. After lots of struggle I beat the Battle factory head for the first encounter, and just last night beat the Battle Palace head for the first encounter. I'm currently working on the Battle Arena :)

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
Years
I started playing Leaf Green again recently, I've just arrived in Cerulean City and am currently battling my way to Bill's house

My team;

Charmeleon Lv20
Pikachu Lv19
Nidorina Lv19

Update: defeated Misty earlier also catching and training a Bellsprout in the process, also just defeated Lt.Surge (OH-KO'd his team with Nidoqueen and dig)

Charmeleon Lv24
Weepinbell Lv23
Pikachu Lv23
Nidoqueen Lv25

Last edited:
Years
Mission: I started up Firered with the intention of using only bug types to beat the game. Because I use a rom, I also used a randomizer to change my starters into pre-evolution bugs. My goal was to go through the entire game using only bug types without severely overleveling or using non-bug types (except HM slave).

Why: A lot of people told me but type was the worst type to have, but I felt the need to prove them wrong. I believe bug type Pokemon can be durable, strong, fast, and bulky, though not usually at the same time.

I challenge those of you that read this to try it for yourselves. It's a challenge, but it is not impossible to do. I'm considering doing an monotype: Normal run next.

Story:
I started the game with my starter choices being Pinsir, Venonat, and Illumise. The choice was a no-brainer; I chose Pinsir without hesitation since Pokemon that don't evolve generally have good stats. Pinsir was in the place of Bulbasaur, so my starter chose Charmander, who later becomes a problem. I go off on my adventure after beating My rival fairly easily with vice grip. Later in Viridian Forest, I catch both a Caterpie and a Weedle to help me with Brock. I soon find myself with a level 11 Pinsir, a level 13 Butterfree and a level 10 Beedrill when I challenge Brock for the third or fourth time. I go with the usual strategy of using Beedrill to lull the Pokemon and then take them out with confusion. Easy. I teach Rock Tomb to Pinsir and then I defeat all the trainers leading to Mount Moon with my new attack. This allows my Pinsir to level up to 14 or so. I also was able to train my Beedrill on the side and used fury attack to make use of focus energy.

Inside of Mount Moon, I decide a bug/grass type would help me considerably, so I catch Paras in hopes of training it to become a wall. After a long training session, I exit amount Moon with a level 15 Pinsir, a level 16 Butterfree, a level 14 Beedrill, and a level 10 Paras. Some time after that, I completed the nugget bridge and then defeated Misty with ease using Beedrill. I finished the SS Anne and then backtracked to catch Meowth to be my HM slave (HMeowth). After having Cut, I travel through the Diglett Cave while training Paras to get Flash, which I needed to evolve Paras to get due to not having 10 Pokemon before then. I chose to evolve Paras at level 25 as allowed to level 24 because it got spore a level later then taught Flash to my Hm slave. I crossed the tedious Rock tunnel, having to use most of my revives along the way. The only good that came out of it was being able to teach Pinsir Rock Slide. My team at that point was Parasect, Pinsir, Beedrill, Butterfree, and HMeowth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Just a heads up, but I'm moving your thread over to our Journey Journal thread, where members are free to tell their stories of how their games are progressing. Though, if you're more interested in the monotype challenge side, we have a thread dedicated to them right over here. Either way, looking forward to hearing what's next!

MOVED.

Thanks for that. I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I know now for next time!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I just started Emerald the other day after finishing Crystal. I'm trying to play through each generation, remakes included, leading up to the release of Sun and Moon this fall. So far, I'm just trying to catch something with Cut to head into the Trick House. Two badges in at like...13 hours because of...taking a long time to find a Seedot. That 1% encounter rate ain't no joke, but I knew I'd pull through. Also, Red was Tales of Xillia characters, Crystal was food/spices, Emerald is Jupiter's moons. I'm so good at name schemes...lol

Spr_E_Brendan.png

Pokemon Trainer Ludger
Emerald | 2 badges

256.png

Thebe lv. 21
Blaze | Serious
[ Ember | Peck | Sand-Attack | Double Kick ]

371.png

Adrastea lv. 20
Rock Head | Jolly
[ Headbutt | Bite | Dragon Claw | Leer ]

274.png

Europa lv. 20
Chlorophyll | Relaxed
[ Fake Out | Thief | Bullet Seed | Nature Power ]

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've been playing through Pokemon Leaf Green recently and I'm four badges in. I've skipped over Silph Co. and Sabrina's gym for now and went to the safari zone in Fuchsia City. My goal: to catch a Tauros. I thought Tauros would be an interesting addition to the team, being a pure Normal type and all, which I rarely every use. However, THIS WAS A POOR DECISION.

In Area 3 of the Safari Zone, Tauros has a 4% chance of appearing. And yeah, I was prepared for that, I did the reasearch. BUT all I ever encounter are Venomoth, which have a 5% encounter rate in the same area. Normally this wouldn't be upsetting except i've caught both a Venonat AND a Venomoth. But, back to the Tauros thing.

I've encountered maybe about ten Tauros in total today. Not one of them caught. I dare not throw a rock and risk it running away, or throwing bait and missing a turn to catch it (and make it harder to catch). I'm so mad I just needed to kinda vent this.

Buuut... Here's my current team I guess.

Koopa (Blastoise) - Lv. 39
Bob (Nidorina) - Lv. 39
Screamer (Victreebel) - Lv. 38
Boko (Dodrio) - Lv. 38

Last edited:

Waffless

Waffless
Years
Started a new adventure on fire red, doing a water monotype challenge.

-Woke up in my room
-Tried to leave village
-Nope
-Chose Squirtle (duh)
-Faced my rival and barely won
-Healed my Pokemon and went off to route 1!
-Fast forward 10 minutes, and I was off to Viridian City!
-Got the parcel for Oak
-Returned Parcel
-Off to Vermilion Forest!
-Battled a bunch, got squirtle to level 14.
-Made it to Pewter City!
-Grinded for like 10 minutes to get to level 16!
-Evolved Squirtle to Wartortle!
-Destroyed Brock's Gym
-Headed off to route 3, battled a bunch of trainers, got my Wartortle to around level 19/20.
-Healed my Pokemon at the Poke-Center.
-Off to Mount Moon!
-Traveled around until I got to floor B2.
-Destroyed a Team Rocket grunt's top percentage rattata.
-Saved!

Can't wait till Vermillion city so that I can get the old rod and get a Magikarp. For now, it's Squirtle time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back