• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hoenn Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

え?
Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Hoenn's music is one of the best in my opinion. It's something really vibrant and I love it. The Littleroot town music theme is still stuck in my head. Ruby was my first Pokemon game, and I'm really fond of the music. Hopefully, the R/S/E remake (supposing that we do get a remake :3) will keep those aspects of the music.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Hoenn's music was the best. It was so nostalgic in my opinion. I love all of the music in R/S/E, now I'm gonna listen to one right now xDD

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I love tracks from all games personally, but RSE sure did have a more unique sound than the others. Mostly cause it was the first time Pokemon had been on the GBA, I assume. But yeah, the trumpet was probably the most notable sound difference when compared to the generations before and after it. RSE is definitely the middle child in many ways, and music is one of them.

Hopefully they keep with it when these games are remade. :)

RSE tracks were just the best imo. u___u; Some of my favorite tracks throughout the game were;
    THIS THIS AND THIS. But there are so many tracks within the game that I like, it'd be impossible to list them all. Even playing through the music now just gives me a strong nostaglic feeling from the games.

This and this. Replaying Emerald (and Sapphire/Ruby) as many times as I have, RSE's music is practically ingrained in my mind. At first, I enjoyed it, but didn't pay attention to it too much. Then, many months ago, when I somehow came up with the idea to incorporate the VS Magma/Aqua Grunt battle theme in a PowerPoint pertaining to overshadowed videogame characters, I was hit with a torrent of nostalgia. Needless to say, that one theme kicked off my focus on Pokemon music, I grew more and more interested in Pokemon game instrumentation, to the point where I hum certain tracks daily, and I pay attention whenever I hear game-originating tracks in the Pokemon anime (particularly, in Best Wishes as of late).

While FireRed/LeafGreen features some awesome music (particularly the Gym Leader/E4 and Champion battle themes, and various route overworld themes), RSE's music is a wonder in the world of videogaming, and I'd even go as far to say that RSE's tracks are top-notch in the music industry as a whole. The trumpet has actually become enjoyable for me. Typically, I dislike the trumpet used in orchestrations (actually, the trumpet(s) used in the anime variants of RSE's Wild Pokemon Battle Theme and Regi Battle Theme seem somewhat subpar compared to the trumpets used in the games), but RSE made the trumpet an amazing instrument to listen to, with the heavy incorporation in dynamic and powerful battle themes.

RSE's Weather Trio Battle Theme, while seemingly simple in nature, nicely conveys a sense of "accidental tampering of forces unknown". The techno repetition in the RSE Regi Trio Battle Theme eerily reinforces the sense of a long-lived entity and an encounter with an ancient yet modern force.

I love the RSE Champion Theme sense of urgency, and at brief points in the track, it appears evocative of an intense struggle between up-and-coming Pokemon Trainer and top-tier Pokemon Champion.

I wandered around Hoenn some weeks ago, astounded by exactly how much musical content was included in the game and the pristine differentiation that was preserved among them. You have your beautifully calm locale themes, to your dynamic and epic battle themes, to your leisurely travel route overworld themes, all complementing each other.

Finally, I enjoy how certain parts of RSE's tracks sound like marine-themed tracks (which seems to be due to the prominent use of the trumpet). The title screen theme, the Magma/Aqua Grunt and Boss Themes, the Meteor Falls theme, the Underwater theme, and the Abandoned Ship theme specifically convey the sense of a seafaring voyage or a deepsea journey, which enhances the experience of Sapphire Version, whose mascot is water-themed. The Sky Pillar overworld theme seems to conjure up a feeling of industry and exploration of terrain. Similarly, the VS Wild Pokemon battle theme seems fitting for a child discovering the frequently-hiding animals in a forest.

Heck, the RSE Wild Pokemon and Trainer Battle Themes are essentially the battle themes in Pokemon for me. XD In conclusion, RSE's music was amazing, and I really hope that their instrumentation can be enhanced in RS remakes, rather than butchered. :<

*Also, here's a remix of a song that didn't actually need remixing, but ends up as awesome nonetheless. Behold, this epic remix of the RSE Champion Battle Theme by thegimpsta: RSE Champion Battle Theme Remix

Last edited:
    Years
  • This and this. Replaying Emerald (and Sapphire/Ruby) as many times as I have, RSE's music is practically ingrained in my mind. At first, I enjoyed it, but didn't pay attention to it too much. Then, many months ago, when I somehow came up with the idea to incorporate the VS Magma/Aqua Grunt battle theme in a PowerPoint pertaining to overshadowed videogame characters, I was hit with a torrent of nostalgia. Needless to say, that one theme kicked off my focus on Pokemon music, I grew more and more interested in Pokemon game instrumentation, to the point where I hum certain tracks daily, and I pay attention whenever I hear game-originating tracks in the Pokemon anime (particularly, in Best Wishes as of late).

[...]

Heck, the RSE Wild Pokemon and Trainer Battle Themes are essentially the battle themes in Pokemon for me. XD In conclusion, RSE's music was amazing, and I really hope that their instrumentation can be enhanced in RS remakes, rather than butchered. :<

You pretty much nailed it. I've always had a love for the generation I started in. I can remember back in 4th grade, waiting for my teacher to come while holding my GBA near my ear and listen to the epic title screen of Ruby.

I think I can say that the amazing third generation music is what made me a composer and interested in music. I'm not kidding.

So. Extremely. Inspiring.

The cooltrainer encounter tops it - not to mention all the other themes in the game. <3

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Well, sinnoh and unova aren't very good in the music department... It's hard for me to say Hoenn's music is better than Kanto though, even though I do love both regions.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    The ending-credit music was so relaxing. It gave me peace when I finally beat the E4 for the first time, about 4 years ago.

Years
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I watched a YouTube video with Littleroot Town's theme song and it was so nostalgic, I went out today and bought a Ruby version in the memory of the one I had as a kid. I think it's my favourite version, even though my first version was red.

I'm replaying it and the music is just bringing it all back to me. It's the only series that my roommate has missed, so she just doesn't understand! Haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2011
    the Sootopolis theme is just great imo! so catchy and awesome! And yeah, I do think that the 3rd gen games had the best music next to GSC which had some classic-sounding tracks as well aha :P

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • B/W's soundtrack sounds pretty similar to R/S/E's at times, so, if they were to remake Ruby and Sapphire, the transition would be pretty smooth.

I agree that would sound likely.

The elite four theme was nice because it wasn't just just the gym leader theme again. First time through " Woa never heard that before, Maybe I'l just sit around for a minuite and listen to it XD". Not that johto and sinnoh had bad gym leader themes (I actualy loved them) but It's nice to hear something else to fit the situation that says "S___ just got serious".

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Maybe that's a hint for an R/S remake, a music similarity, it occured in FR/LG and D/P/PT for HG/SS.

Anyway, my favourite music is from Hoenn, definately the best soundtracks without a doubt.

Super Red

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I loved the music in this generation. My favorite was the one that played when you talk to Steven before you battle him for the last time. I also loved the Slateport City music. Ahh good times.

Years
  • Top three music tracks in Hoenn which has some of the best music (maybe beaten only by Unova):
    3rd: Slateport
    2nd: Lilycove
    1st: Rival Battle theme (these always are the best)

Years
  • I agree,Hoenn musics are definitely the best in the whole game series.
    I don't know about you but to me,Hoenn musics sound so soothing and serene,covered with layers of emotions that could make you feel happy,sad,excited and terrified... :)

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Hi, I am a D/P fan but as a fair person who criticize on each generation, I'd like to give my own opinion that 3rd Generation had the best music. Both in the game and Anime, most likely anime..I was in love with the Elite 4 Battle Theme. And then, I heard the Wild battle theme and it was as good. Note though, no PkMn game had bad music, Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and even Unova have their Unique amazing music..

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    yeas, defiantly the beast music of all the pokemons :D
    i remember the sounds so distinctly, i can even guess the next bit of the song lawl

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back