• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Home is where the Challenges are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey everbody, I am new here and I do not know where to post this but it seems this maybe the place. (I posted under the challenge question thread and I got no replies so I am assuming it maybe the wrong place)

I have a question for people who have done challenge runs. I want to attempt a challenge run. I aim for a custom challenge:solo with maybe perma-death. This will be first run ever and I want to attempt in either HG or SS (hacked rom) or even Blaze Black 2. The issue is which pokemon should I bred and trade into a new game to do the solo? I assume I am allowed HM slaves to get through the game. Issue is I have favorite moves and favorite Pokemon so I got so many choices. I was thinking of either Speal (cute and evolves into walrein, sheer cold) Smeargle (any attack as long as i can teach it what i need before the run), Dratini (a balanced dragon), Lapras (can take hits, sheer cold, good coverage). Which ones do you suggest? Open for other considerations. Also how does double battles work for a solo round?

The thing is I am a fan of high powered move and I dont mind low accuracy or what not, I am okay with using setups and moves and high powered attacks as I am a fan of risk reward. I love bolt strike, V-create, Overheat, Zap Cannon, Sheer Cold (absolute zero destruction, Nothingness/Nonexistence O.o,), Hyper beams, Outrage, Draco Meteor, Dragon ascent ect. And I love all pokemons and use most of them but for a challenge round It would be smart to use competitive Pokemon right? So that's why I am stuck. I am thinking after doing this solo run I will attempt the other challenges. I own FR, Emerald, HG+SS, Platinum, Black 2 where SS and B2 are hacked roms with harder opponents, all Pokemon available and learsets are revamped. I wanna do a solo on one of the modded games and maybe the others. I still don't have gen 6 but when I do I wanna play a custom version of it too, So without getting Offtopic can somehow help me out here? Really appreciate any replies thanks.

Years
  • Sorry, EternalSeekerX, I have no idea when it comes to competitiveness! I'm sure someone will come along soon who can help though!

I'm so happy that my challenge was approved! (The Superstar Pokemon Challenge!) I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea but I'm really enjoying it! So I've got that on the go along with the Duo Species Challenge! Good times! :)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • From my personal experience, Solo challenges with reasonably strong Pokemon tend to be really easy. You gain levels way faster than any other challenge, so typically you will find yourself overleveled constantly. I highly recommend using either a not fully evolved Pokemon, or a mediocre single stage Pokemon. If you want to take on that challenge and have some of your favorite moves, perhaps you can try playing with Smeargle.

Reactions: Tek
    Years
  • From my personal experience, Solo challenges with reasonably strong Pokemon tend to be really easy. You gain levels way faster than any other challenge, so typically you will find yourself overleveled constantly. I highly recommend using either a not fully evolved Pokemon, or a mediocre single stage Pokemon. If you want to take on that challenge and have some of your favorite moves, perhaps you can try playing with Smeargle.

Hey thanks for the reply {XD}. Yeah I might do smeargle but he is kind of fragile, dratini is great but im pretty sure pseudo legendaries are a pain because they need tons of exp right?

I am at a tossup between smeargle and dratini.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Hey thanks for the reply {XD}. Yeah I might do smeargle but he is kind of fragile, dratini is great but im pretty sure pseudo legendaries are a pain because they need tons of exp right?

I am at a tossup between smeargle and dratini.
    In this case the slower experience curve might actually work to your advantage, keeping you less overleveled for more of the game.

Years
  • In this case the slower experience curve might actually work to your advantage, keeping you less overleveled for more of the game.

Thanks man, solved my problem haha.

I am also interested in the duo and monotype challenge, I believe monotype is your challenge?

For monotype I am allowed to use roms such as perfect soul silver, emerald-z, fire red, blaze black 2 (which have the base game with revamped learnset, can learn additional moves?). I was thinking of doing a dragon one (all dragons will be evolved during playthrough). Are legendaries allowed? I don't mind not using them. If legendary than I guess a good team is dragonnite, kingdra, altaria, garchomp, hydreigon, latios/latias.

Also for the duo challenge I was thinking kingdra and dragonite.

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    Need some help evolving my Phantump for my X Trevenant solo run. Anyone up for some quick back and forth trading, shoot me a message. If I'm online here I'm able to trade. Thanks!

Update: Don't need any help anymore. I've got my Trevenant thanks to Lrachelr5.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Anyone else ever end up forgetting to update for a challenge cause it is really fun and hard to pull your eyes away from? Cause that is what happened with my birthdate challenge on black I have beaten all the gyms and am on victory road and I have only updated the very beginning.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Anyone else ever end up forgetting to update for a challenge cause it is really fun and hard to pull your eyes away from? Cause that is what happened with my birthdate challenge on black I have beaten all the gyms and am on victory road and I have only updated the very beginning.

For me I forgot to list down the info about how I finish my Randomized Blue Nuzlocke run, for the same reason. It's been months since I updated it and I only listed the parts where I beat the first gym and my Hall of Fame. I might do it soon.

Anyway, I can't find a suitable thread to post about it, but I might as well leave it here since it's kinda related to my (completed) Randomized Blue Nuzlocke run: After I finished it by beating the Champion, since my game also had a "Catch-em-all" mode, I decided to catch all 151 Pokemon in the game and recently I managed to catch all 151 of them, and it's taking a very long time to do so. Also got my diploma too.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Woah... they took off the Completed Challenge in the About Me section.. that was the only place where I kept track of all my challenges.. :S

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Yeah I noticed that too, was wondering if it had something to do with when they got hacked but considering how long it has been I would have expected it to be back by now. Why did they even remove it? It was a necessary section in the about me, for people like myself who love to boast about how many challenges I've completed :P

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I actually had to search a bit and they said they removed some About Me stuffs that made it seem too cluttered =/

But I don't know if it's doable but maybe have an option to choose what to show and what not to show? :)
    Because... I really loved that Challenge section in the About Me.. I was even the one who mentionned to add it in the About Me section /sob

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • A lot of About Me sections were cut, our forum was not the only ones this affected. It is unfortunate, though I cannot say I personally used it all that much. I hardly ever look at the About me of more users I interact with.

Anyway, an idea occurs to me. If you all still want a place to keep your complete records of finished challenges, we could start a new thread for exactly that. Each user who wants to could just make a post that contains all the same data you would have put in the Challenges section. Want to share it and you could put a link in your signature, or wherever you see fit.

And, in relation to event challenges, I had an idea for a New Year themed challenge. Honestly, a lot is going on on PC this month, and I don't want an event challenge to just be one voice in a sea of noise. Not to mention there's only been a month since the last challenge. So expect an event to open up on December 31 for the very first New Year Challenge!

Years
  • Yeah, I haven't been able to post in the Nuzlocke thread regarding my big Black 2 adventure, as i've basically been keeping that to Azurilland. But hopefully i'll be able to check out the New Year's challenge when that's a thing!

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    Well I completely forgot EVERYTHING I did past the first gym in my birthdate challenge and I'm half way through victory road so I'll most likely just post the image of me beating the last Team Plasma sage (I will hopefully have my umbreon by then) and then it'll be the first challenge I have ever completed.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Anyway, an idea occurs to me. If you all still want a place to keep your complete records of finished challenges, we could start a new thread for exactly that. Each user who wants to could just make a post that contains all the same data you would have put in the Challenges section. Want to share it and you could put a link in your signature, or wherever you see fit.

By gawd. Yes please do this.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2016
    Pokecommunity poll

Hey pokecommunity I was wondering which of these I should do
    1. Wonderlocke vs
    2. Cagelocke
    3. Wondercagelocke
    4. Wonderlocke
    Let me know gonna start it after christmas

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • By gawd. Yes please do this.
    I like this idea too, that would work.
    Okay, I just need a good moment to gather up my personal challenge data and I'll get a thread up. I suggest anyone who wants to use the tracking thread start pulling together all your progression.
    Hey pokecommunity I was wondering which of these I should do
    1. Wonderlocke vs
    2. Cagelocke
    3. Wondercagelocke
    4. Wonderlocke
    Let me know gonna start it after christmas
    It sounds to me like you want to do a Wonderlocke. I don't really know what a Cagelocke is but I can guarantee Wonderlocke will be interesting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back