• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homosexuality

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    I don't know if you're born gay, but I think once you recognize your sexuality it's hard to change.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Born that way for sure. Its scientifically proven. I dont want to start a fight but it does tend to bother me when people think its a choice :(

Years
    I've never met a kid who was gay until after the age of like, 10. Not too sure about that one though

inb4flamewar, I think it's mainly choice and what happened in your life. I'm not exactly sure how someone is born gay, since well you know you weren't born that way, although I'm not about to say it's a disease. So, choice.

EDIT: Okay I'm not too sure anymore, since apparently sexual attraction begins in the brain, so I guess someone could be born gay. Look the matter confuses me even more so than religion, so don't go bashing me.

Last edited:

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    Born that way. Sexual orientation is mentally hardwired into your brain at birth, as such, and the reason people don't identify as gay and such until after 10 - 12 years of age is the simple reason that the hormones that fuel sexual drive aren't in the body until puberty, which doesn't happen till about 10 or 11.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I've never met a kid who was gay until after the age of like, 10. Not too sure about that one though

inb4flamewar, I think it's mainly choice and what happened in your life. I'm not exactly sure how someone is born gay, since well you know you weren't born that way, although I'm not about to say it's a disease. So, choice.

Well tbh, I've never met a kid who was straight until after the age of 10 either. Young children don't know what their sexuality is. It's default assumed straight because that's what the majority of people are, but kids aren't romantically attracted to other people in the same way that people who have begun puberty are.

So yeah, it's in your DNA in my opinion. I don't have studies and stuff to throw at people that disagree, but I personally think it's a dense to think that people who go through a lot of pain, bullying, abuse, and heartache from being gay made that choice themselves.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    In my opinion it's a mental disorder at birth, but I can't be sure about that since I never really do research on it. Either way, being homosexual is not right, there's definitely something wrong there.

Years
    Well being gay means you have a sexual preference other than the natural one, so in sense yes, it is a disease. Yeah, there is something wrong with the idea of being gay.

Doesn't mean it's wrong, right or whatever hell the third option is. (wait a minute, that doesn't make sense...)

And yeah people don't have a choice anymore, which is kinda unfair if you ask me. People accept Autism, but they won't accept gays. What the hell?

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    You get born with it. There's no way anybody would be able to choose their sexuality. There's nothing wrong with being gay, either. They're normal people, just have different tastes, is all.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
    I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way! ;P

Well, actually I'm a pan-romantic demisexual who happens to be in a homosexual relationship.

I think the best way to describe my sexual orientation is just not giving much of a damn..XD

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    For people saying you don't know until later than like age 10 that you're gay.....well duh. most boys and girls won't go near each other because of cooties until then anyway, so how is one to know that early?

and for those who think it's a choice: explain to me when you chose to be straight. people are born with their sexual orientation but obviously you're not sure of what you want until the hormones start kickin' in.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I believe you're born that way, seeing has kids don't really know their sexuality, like some other users stated.

Years
    In my opinion it's a mental disorder at birth, but I can't be sure about that since I never really do research on it. Either way, being homosexual is not right, there's definitely something wrong there.
    Homosexuality

Excuse me, but what year is this again?
    This isn't an opinion - this is just bigotry.

"Born this way"? A phrase that has been monopolized and profited from.
    Sickening, really. (And not in a good way)

I was born gay. There were instances of it in my childhood that were uninfluenced by anything - I had no idea what 'gay' was until I was around 10 or 11.
    When I was in kindergarten, during the game of 'house' (where you had the husband, wife, kids, pets, whatever and you all lived together and whatever)..I had a husband. When my teachers called me out on this (I went to a private school), I was ever so confused.

It most certainly is not a disorder.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I couldn't call having any sexuality a choice, but nor that everyone is born that way.
    Rather, I suppose that our (generally early) life experiences are what decides the matter.

Well it's not really a opinion, it's kinda like saying all Autistics choose to be that way, which is utter *******.
    Please don't let anger cloud your better judgement; AtomicoExploda did not say anything about choices.

Last edited:
    Years
    I believe that the majority of people have genetically predetermined sexual orientations (whatever they may be), but I don't discount the possibility that a handful of the population can have some level of choice in the matter.

Back