• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hopes, Dreams, Discoveries, awesome opening scene!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    When you turn on your games, you're greeted with a cutscene of N being crowned, followed by a formal introduction similar to past games.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you like that they took a brand new direction for the opening? Is it too long? Do you think this is an inidication as far as future games go and the direction they'll take?

Or does it seem too much like an advertisement, rather than an opening?

Anyway, what do you think? :D

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I like it. It's not like you press start and go from N's crowning to the typical beginning and then that hopes, dreams, etc. thing. It's all integrated! But N's crowning is an important part of the story, and something that the player will be able to understand when they get to that part of the storyline, despite the twist that comes later. I love how theatrical it is. You can tell a lot of time was put into that, which I can appreciate.

Years
  • Do you like that they took a brand new direction for the opening? Is it too long? Do you think this is an inidication as far as future games go and the direction they'll take?
    I don't think it is a bad thing. It looks nice and I was surprised when I saw this before the game was released. It is a nice looking opening and maybe it is just to show of things to come.

Well, I guess it could, really. But it is still nice.​

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • I liked the crowning of N in the beginning. I was confusing, but it showed how Gamefreak was going to concentrate more on the storyline rather than just "catch all these pokemon, and oh, there's these evil people trying to change the world in a negative way." I didn't like the "hopes!dreams!discoveries!" part. While it was true for the old pokemon games, I didnt like it in these ones. It was too much like an advertisement and took away from the "wow" factor of the crowning.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I really enjoyed the opening for this game. N's crowning was nicely done and it makes me wish more scenes like this happened in the game, so maybe in future games. It really got me pumped actually, to see that opening sequence. As far as the other part of the sequence, I don't think it was an advertisement. I actually liked it, and I thought it all ran together pretty nicely. I hope they make more openings similar to this in future games.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I like the beginning parts of the opening, with the illustration-esque N/Team Plasma stuff, and I wish the whole thing had been like that. It was really awkward when it switches halfway through and feels more like an advertisement. If I'm playing, I've (probably) already bought the game. Regardless, I'm gonna play it, so you don't have to show me in-game stuff! The worst part was the random words overlayed on top. I forget what they are but it's like "DREAMS" "ADVENTURE" "BLAHBLAHBLAH" and it just seems really out of place.

But the other part? Yeah I'd love to see them do something like that again.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    The "dreams / adventures / hopes" etc thing.. caught me a bit by surprise, because I felt I was watching a commercial, when I had the game on and going, and obviously didn't need to be swayed by a commercial. XD; They could've gone about that differently, but it was still okay. The cutscene at the start was really cool, though. My roommate, who hasn't bothered with Pokemon since Diamond and Pearl fiiirst came out, so at least three or four years, found it really interesting and wants to buy White now.

It was pretty impressive to see in a Pokemon game intro, since I wasn't expecting it, and gives a different sort of feel to the game when you start it up.

harig07

Pokemon & SSBB newbie, YGO Pro
    Years
  • Prefered seeing N's coronation to watching a Nidorino and a Gengar tackling each other...

Last edited:

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • Do you like that they took a brand new direction for the opening? Is it too long? Do you think this is an inidication as far as future games go and the direction they'll take?

I love the new opening its something you wouldnt expect from a pokemon game. i think its a little long but thats ok.

i can see it as an ad but makes a better opening

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I thought the first part, the cutscene, was gorgeous. I'm a sucker for Sugimori's art style and seeing it so dramatically animated, and showing something so integral to the plot of the game, made me gush like the fangirl I am.

However, the second part would have felt a lot slicker without the "Hopes! Dreams! Adventures!" thing. If they'd left the text out, it would have been more like a quick glance at what the game has to offer, which would feel better. With the text, it seems... cheesy? It ruins the atmosphere set by the initial cutscene.

Genshu

Idealistic Seeker Of Truth
    Years
  • it is like a cult. they're based on the Knights Templar. everybody should learn about those people.

But on topic, It did kinda strike me as an advertisement, at least after the crowning. The crowning part is cool. i think should have left at that. But It might be the most epic intro so far haha.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    umm on the topic of the intro, did anyone else notice a few yellow and purple pixels in the bottom right corner during it?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I thought it was an amazing intro. It gave the perfect mood, a glance at the games, and it just looked epic.
    The Hopes! Dreams! Adventure! thing wasn't too bad, but it completely ruins the mood that the crowning sets (i'm just about to get to that part in the game too, right after I get to Opelucid City [:). If they incorporated that kind of cutscene in the game, like when N summons his legendary, more, the game would be so much better.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • it is like a cult. they're based on the Knights Templar. everybody should learn about those people
    They reminded me more of PETA here in the US, lol. Free the pokemon, free the lab rats. (not hating on rats. I have one.)

Prefered seeing N's coronation to watching a Nidorino and a Gengar tackling each other...
    Yeah, well I'm sure Gengar and Nidorino don't want you to watch them tackle each other. So there. =P

I was looking at all the Pokemon openings for fun, and my favorite was definitely RSEs.

Back on topic, I'm trying to think of what else they could have done instead of the "HOPESDREAMSOMGPOKEMON!". After the coronation scene I figured they could have added more clips from N's past in there. I think they added the rest of it to make it seem longer (which I don't really think was necessary...)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • The new opening feels more like an ad to me, but I liked it nevertheless because the tune that's been playing since R/B is there.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Now, they do have a proper opening for the very first time for the first time. Well, guess what? I like it. It's... well, different.

Back