• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
Years
  • I haven't decided how I'm going to handle trade evolutions yet. I might change the method of evolution, or might set up NPCs that will do trade evolutions with you: trade a Kadabra for a Kadabra, for example. The problem with that is the Alakazam you get from that trade won't be yours--bad news if you want to stay the OT of your Pokémon, or don't want the experience bonus, or haven't gotten the "badge"/promotion that will let you control that Pokémon yet...

The best idea (and what I'm going to try to do if I find a way for it to work) is to set up an experimental Rocket forced-evolution machine. They were experimenting with forced evolution in Johto, which is why a bunch of Magikarp started evolving into Gyarados in the Lake of Rage, so it would be plausible for them to have some machine set up in Mahogany Town that would trigger the evolutions of trade-evolution Pokémon without actually having to trade them. That's what I'd REALLY like to do, but don't know how yet. I'm assuming the part of the script that controls evolution-by-trading is buried somewhere deep inside the mess of coding that controls trading in general, so it may not be possible to make a script that can trigger a trade evolution without a trade--or, if it IS possible, unless someone else has located that script already, it's almost definitely beyond my current abilities to find it myself.

Failing that, though, one of the above two options--changing the method of evolution or adding in-game trades--is what I'm going to go with.

Yeah this is a good idea, but it would be better if that machine was in Saffron Secret Base too IMO. Or you could making them evolve by levelling up or with certain stones. You decide.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, this whole thing looks fantastic. I love the concept of stealing pokemon and fighting homeowners. The video was awesome. :D (But if they were psychics, wouldn't they be able to tell that you only had Rattatas, and not bother trying to intimidate you with Alakazams?)

Though maybe for the pokemon that you trade to evolve, you could somehow make it so that you trade with someone, and then trade back immediately... So then you'd have the evolution and the evolved pokemon would be yours. But the forced evolution does sound plausible. If you found a way to do that, I think it would be better.

And just an afterthought, are you setting up the linking stations in a Rocket Base, or would you remove them since they're in Pokemon Centers, and/or unnecessary?

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Wow, this whole thing looks fantastic. I love the concept of stealing pokemon and fighting homeowners. The video was awesome. :D (But if they were psychics, wouldn't they be able to tell that you only had Rattatas, and not bother trying to intimidate you with Alakazams?)

Though maybe for the pokemon that you trade to evolve, you could somehow make it so that you trade with someone, and then trade back immediately... So then you'd have the evolution and the evolved pokemon would be yours. But the forced evolution does sound plausible. If you found a way to do that, I think it would be better.

And just an afterthought, are you setting up the linking stations in a Rocket Base, or would you remove them since they're in Pokemon Centers, and/or unnecessary?

For now, I'm leaving the linking stations in Pokémon Centers, since they're pretty much unnecessary.

Yeah, the two guys were Psychics, but they're not very good psychics. Sabrina herself admits in Gen II that her psychic power is limited, and she pretty much pwns any other psychic in Kanto/Johto, possibly in any region. These two kids have Pokémon so weak that a couple of Rocket punks with level 3 Rattata can beat them. Considering how new they are at the whole concept of Pokémon battles, you've gotta figure that their psychic powers are pretty underdeveloped as well--assuming they have any. They may be calling themselves "Psychics" but may actually be just wanna-be Psychics hoping to develop powers, who train Psychic-type Pokémon in the meantime.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2009
    I can help if you're interested in music hacking or willing to give a listen to some of the custom midis I've made.

That and designing puzzles/mazes. I don't exactly LIKE to map, but I get behind tricky stuff for some reason.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Those are typical Rocket Pokémon, true, but a little cliche. And most Grunts don't have Ekans or Koffing, although Rattata and Zubat are common; considering that they're much better than Rattata or Zubat, if they were regular Rocket starters, more Grunts would probably use them.

Your "official" starter is going to be a Rattata. However, pretty soon, you'll be able to choose a different Pokémon to steal from a kid in Saffron; the choices won't be traditional Rocket Pokémon, but if Rocket Grunts only stole Pokémon that fit Team Rocket's image, they wouldn't be stealing very much. I figure stealing a different "starter" is a way to make up for the horribleness that is Rattata, and anyway, it introduces the concept of stealing Pokémon early on in the game.

I like that idea way too much. I see where you are going with this. Any rival teams in this?

ckret2

Years
  • I like that idea way too much. I see where you are going with this. Any rival teams in this?

Rival to Team Rocket, you mean? Well, there are a couple of packs of little kids in Viridian who think they're part of Magma and Aqua...

No official "Team" teams to be Team Rocket's rivals, but really, they don't need rival teams. The whole world is their rival. Specifically, though, there are a handful of twerps that are so persistent they may as well be their own team, there's the police force (which is an organized group, so that's kinda close to a "rival team"), and there's Mewtwo's repeated attempts to make life painful for the Rockets by assembling his mind-controlled group of trainers to go pick on Grunts. But there are no official rival Teams like Magma or Aqua or Galactic, though--although all three will be referenced, and there might be some cameos.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Sounds interesting... although I don't think I'd be too happy starting with Rattata.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I'll be honest. The scripting looks a tad sloppy. I think you should take a better advantage of the text coloring in the scripts, it'll make them seem way more organized, and players can follow it easier.
    I would kinda like all of the maps redone, it would just give a better spark to the hack, and most definitely attract more attention. Yes, even playing as a Rocket, the FireRed maps will get boring/dull after a while. Newer maps would prevent that.

*offers to help*

ckret2

Years
  • Sounds interesting... although I don't think I'd be too happy starting with Rattata.

Which is the point. Nobody would be happy starting with Rattata. Not even the in-game characters are happy starting with Rattata. You're not stuck with it long, though. After your first battle, you get to choose one of three other Pokémon to steal. And when you get your first Poké Balls you'll be surrounded by Ghasty, Cubone, and Zubat, which I think are quite a bit more interesting than the rubbish in Route 1. I'm doing my best to make up for the horrible starter.

I'll be honest. The scripting looks a tad sloppy. I think you should take a better advantage of the text coloring in the scripts, it'll make them seem way more organized, and players can follow it easier.
    I would kinda like all of the maps redone, it would just give a better spark to the hack, and most definitely attract more attention. Yes, even playing as a Rocket, the FireRed maps will get boring/dull after a while. Newer maps would prevent that.

*offers to help*

"Sloppy"? How so? If it's just the colors, I thought I'd been following the canon games' method for script coloring: red for females, blue for males, black for anything else. I also put the character's name nearly every time the speaker changes, and definitely every time when the color of the dialogue doesn't change, like in the conversation between the Rival, Tyron, and Cameron. Are there any other rules I've missed? Or were you thinking about doing something else?

My first gut reaction to the idea of remapping is a rather insistent "NEVER!!" but, with the gut reaction shoved in a corner and told to behave itself... I'll consider it. My concern is that ToxicPurple is supposed to be occurring in the same setting and at the same time as FR/LG, which is why I'd first object to the idea. If any remapping became too extensive, it would kill the sense that this was the same setting. Or, if it were similar enough, it might end up like the Gen I/Gen II versions of the same town: they're very similar, but just different enough that it's obvious that this may be the same place but the two maps can't be from the same time--even though, if you compare them side-by-side, most of the towns are almost identical. Basically, I'm worried that remapping might kill any real sense of continuity between FR/LG and ToxicPurple.

I think I'd have to see an example of what you're thinking of before deciding either way. My instinct is still to kinda go against the idea for now, but that might change.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    This hack seems very promising and I hope you don't give up on it. Team Rocket hacks have always been one of my favorites and this one seems very original, yet fun at the same time. Good luck with everything.

ckret2

Years
  • This hack seems very promising and I hope you don't give up on it. Team Rocket hacks have always been one of my favorites and this one seems very original, yet fun at the same time. Good luck with everything.

Seems like it will be a great hack. Looking forward to it.

Thank you both very much! With spring break coming up, I hope to make a lot more progress soon.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2009
    Thank you both very much! With spring break coming up, I hope to make a lot more progress soon.

Is it going to be a sandbox sort of game, where you do side missions on your own time to rank up, or you level up in rank according to how the story pulls you along?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Rival to Team Rocket, you mean? Well, there are a couple of packs of little kids in Viridian who think they're part of Magma and Aqua...

No official "Team" teams to be Team Rocket's rivals, but really, they don't need rival teams. The whole world is their rival. Specifically, though, there are a handful of twerps that are so persistent they may as well be their own team, there's the police force (which is an organized group, so that's kinda close to a "rival team"), and there's Mewtwo's repeated attempts to make life painful for the Rockets by assembling his mind-controlled group of trainers to go pick on Grunts. But there are no official rival Teams like Magma or Aqua or Galactic, though--although all three will be referenced, and there might be some cameos.

K, that sounds really cool. I think there should be a group of trainers who want to be TR members but you battle them and shut them down all the time. It would be funny.​

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back