• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
Years
  • Is it going to be a sandbox sort of game, where you do side missions on your own time to rank up, or you level up in rank according to how the story pulls you along?

Mainly story, but there's a bit of sandbox style. You can go for a while without moving your rank up (for example, after your first mission, you can skip the first promotion and go on a couple more missions), but eventually there will be a point where your superiors will say "Sorry, we need someone higher-ranked than you for this mission," and you'll have to go back and get the other promotions.

K, that sounds really cool. I think there should be a group of trainers who want to be TR members but you battle them and shut them down all the time. It would be funny.​

That WOULD be funny. Thanks for the suggestion. Bikers and Cue Balls have a tendency to show support for Team Rocket, so... how about a couple of losers named Biker Stan and Cue Ball Oliver?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah that sounds cool. They could use pokemon like Grimer and Koffing. What about Venonat, Nidofam, gastly and tentacool?

ckret2

Years
  • Yeah that sounds cool. They could use pokemon like Grimer and Koffing. What about Venonat, Nidofam, gastly and tentacool?

Yeah, that'd be cool. Bikers and Cue Balls use Poison-types like that. Bikers also use Fire-types, and Cue Balls use a lot of Fighting-types... So, Stan can have Koffing/Wheezing, Magby/Magmar, and Gastly/Haunter, and Oliver can have Grimer/Muk, Machop/Machoke, and Tentacool/Tentacruel.

Which makes them all vulnerable to Psychic attacks except for Magby/Magmar, heh. Magby/Magmar will learn Faint Attack, I guess, since in Gen IV that's one of its level-up moves, and at least Gastly/Haunter's Ghost moves will be effective against Psychic-types.

ckret2

Years
  • Here is the next version of the map, ckret what do you think?

Still not finished yet I think there is some thing missing in the boarder round the top.

Wow, it looks great! I can't think of anything else to put along the border at the top. The only suggestion I've got is to vary the grass tiles. Otherwise, looks pretty good to me.

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
    Years
  • hey ckret2, making lots of progress i see. Starting to look very good. Just watched the video and now I'm really anxious.

anyway, I'd be more than happy to help you in the "team advice" department. Just drop a PM my way regarding whose team needs creating, and what specifications you may have.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I think if possible you should consider adding gen 3&4 Pokemon.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Is it going to be a sandbox sort of game, where you do side missions on your own time to rank up, or you level up in rank according to how the story pulls you along?

That's kinda for Game Dever's isn't it?
    But criket, you can put that in, if you want I can.
    It's just a couple of flags interoperated into scripts

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
  • TR Admins Bonnie and Clyde sprites

Ok, after hard work i made some sprites for the Team Rocket admins. After watching the video and seeing the female admin was called Bonnie, i thought about calling the male admin Clyde. Anyway here it is:

picture.php

Hope you enjoy!

ckret2

Years
  • I think if possible you should consider adding gen 3&4 Pokemon.

There are definitely going to be a few Gen III Pokémon. Not a ton, though, since the game doesn't take place near Hoenn. Right now I don't have any plans to add Gen IV Pokémon. If I do, that'll be later on in the process.

That's kinda for Game Dever's isn't it?
    But criket, you can put that in, if you want I can.
    It's just a couple of flags interoperated into scripts

I've already got a few plans for sandbox-ish features. One of the earliest missions--finding a way to help finish digging the Celadon to Lavender Underground Path--can be completed several different ways.

I've got to keep it pretty plot-directed, though. Otherwise you could go do all the extra activities, level up your team to the mid-40s, and then go back and do the promotional missions that involve level 20 Pokémon. Not a lot of fun or challenge in that.

how far are you into making it, it looks fun

Not very far; but I hope to script the main events in Pokémon Tower today. That'll be the first major mission!

Tony Montana

Years
  • Yeah, I skipped the shoes outline.

Sadly, im not good at OW Spriting so I cant do it =(

Last edited:

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
  • So I saw the video and I was honestly impressed. You have some great dialogue and story writing abilities. I have also been pretty bored with sitting around on YouTube, waiting for new Pokemon sprite contests and requests. So, I think I can help you with some stuff. I know TonyMontana is working on Trainer sprites and someone else is working on Azalea Town, so maybe I can do any other odd-jobs that are needed. Overworld sprites? Key items? Scenery or other Rocket exclusive things? You name it, I can sprite it. Also, I can help with any ideas for plot, characters, Pokemon for said characters and the like. I'm a little understanding of advanced Pokemon techiques, but I also understand balance and strategy. Probably, a lot of my ideas for teams would be along R/B/Y or G/S/C lines, as I'm traditional, but I can also help with some ideas for Gen III Pokemon you may want to include. So, if you want to give me an assignment, go on ahead. :D

Last edited:

ckret2

Years
  • You forgot to outline the Rocket Admins' shoes.

If possible, can you sprite their OW's too?

I think the OWs for the Admins are going to be the default Rocket sprites. If not, I'm doing their OWs myself, since I've been doing the rest of the OWs myself.

So I saw the video and I was honestly impressed. You have some great dialogue and story writing abilities. I have also been pretty bored with sitting around on YouTube, waiting for new Pokemon sprite contests and requests. So, I think I can help you with some stuff. I know TonyMontana is working on Trainer sprites and someone else is working on Azalea Town, so maybe I can do any other odd-jobs that are needed. Overworld sprites? Key items? Scenery or other Rocket exclusive things? You name it, I can sprite it.

Hey, cool. Sounds good. Do you have any examples of spriting you've done in the past?

One key item the game's going to need is some kind of knife or blade. If this gives you any kind of idea what the blade needs to look like, it's one that an Admin uses off-screen to finish off the Marowak in Pokémon Tower, and then gives to the Player as a reward, who uses it to Cut shrubs. So, it's got to look heavy-duty enough to kill something and then hack down a bunch of bushes.

There's also going to be some kind of forged Elite Four certificate. Somehow, in the original games, the guy standing outside Cerulean Cave knows when the kid that comes up actually has beaten the Elite Four, so (even if we never see it) it stands to reason that the Elite Four must've given them some kind of certificate of achievement or badge or ribbon or something. We already know that the Pokémon that beat the Elite Four all get Champ Ribbons, so maybe the "certificate" could be a ribbon instead. Anyway, at one point in the game, Giovanni will assign the Player and Rival to try to track down Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave and catch him, and in order to get past the guard in front of the gate, he gives them something that will make the guard step aside. Maybe it's a forged certificate or ribbon, or maybe it's something as simple as a signed permission sheet from the Viridian Gym Leader, which has got to carry some weight.

Less essential, but something that would be kind of neat: since Rockets are associated with Bikers occasionally, I thought it'd be neat to give out motorcycles instead of a bicycle. They'd move the same speed and function the same, but the OW would look like the player on a motorcycle instead. If I did do that, then the bicycle key item's image would have to be replaced witha motorcycle one.

A quick question: pretty much everybody who's going to be playing these games knows the maps of Kanto and Johto, right? Would anybody be terribly disappointed if you never got the Kanto world map? I haven't found a place to logically hand it out yet, although I suppose I could find one. (Steal it from a kid, find a spare one lying in the break room... it could come up some place.) And, more importantly, would you mind not getting a Johto map at all? I don't know if it's possible to get a Gen III game map to act like the Gen II game map, in that you can switch between two different world maps, and it would just look ugly if I tried to squish both regions onto a single map. You could consider it an additional challenge. And in any case, Team Rocket wouldn't have as many advantages in Johto anyway, so it would kinda make sense that they not get a map.

Also, I can help with any ideas for plot, characters, Pokemon for said characters and the like. I'm a little understanding of advanced Pokemon techiques, but I also understand balance and strategy. Probably, a lot of my ideas for teams would be along R/B/Y or G/S/C lines, as I'm traditional, but I can also help with some ideas for Gen III Pokemon you may want to include. So, if you want to give me an assignment, go on ahead. :D

R/B/Y and G/S/C lines would be great, since the advanced techniques used in competitive battling really wouldn't work well with A.I.-controlled trainers. Most of the big opponents in the ToxicPurple won't have Gen III Pokémon anyway, since this is Kanto/Johto based.

I've actually got ideas for what most of the main "boss battle" teams will be like. Rudimentary six-Pokémon teams, long explanations for why I went with those ideas initially, equally long explanations for why those ideas are variable and I might change them in the future. And I've got no ideas on movesets yet. I sent a PM to one other person who volunteered to help with the teams (who I think was scared off by the tl;dr, because he hasn't replied yet...) so I can forward the same PM to you and see what you think about the teams, what you'd change, what kind of movesets you'd suggest, etc. Though I'll warn you now that it is a long PM.

Tony Montana

Years
  • Yeah, you should stick with the Grunt OW sprite. In R/S/E Team Magma/Aqua Admins had a Grunt OW Sprite so I see no problem. But you can make it if you want.

Lynx1

has significant angst
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I'm definitley going to be keeping an eye on this one. It looks promising.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    I can't tell you how excited i am about this game and i would be happy to help with anything. I'm not sure what though...maybe an ideas man or to help out with what everybody says and storyline ideas as writing is kinda my thing (like a few others i saw when reading through the thread). I would really like to be a part of what looks like such an original and entertaining hack!

I also have a few questions:
    1) What sort of timeframe are you looking at for getting things done?
    2) Will you wait longer to include the full story before releasing the first beta or just do the first part of the story (like just Kanto) in the first beta and then the rest in beta 2 or 3?

My opinion is that you should wait to include the whole storyline in the first beta as i was recently playing through Pokemon Genesis (which i really enjoyed) but was really disappointed when i found out beta 3 ended at the 5th badge. Although, i think many would disagree with me because they'd just like to play the game!

Anyways, i've rambled on too long and you've probably got tons to do so i'll end my post here. I'll probably stay active on thsi thread for awhile to come because i'm really hyped up for this! :)

ckret2

Years
  • I can't tell you how excited i am about this game and i would be happy to help with anything. I'm not sure what though...maybe an ideas man or to help out with what everybody says and storyline ideas as writing is kinda my thing (like a few others i saw when reading through the thread). I would really like to be a part of what looks like such an original and entertaining hack!

Thanks! I can't think of anything in particular that needs help right now, but I'll let you know if I do.

I also have a few questions:
    1) What sort of timeframe are you looking at for getting things done?

Haven't the foggiest. I'm hoping that as I get more experience with scripting, things will start to go faster. At this point, though, it's going very slowly, due to the fact that pretty much every time I make a new script, I have to look up a bunch of new things. (I can't even get a stupid nickname script to work. Three tutorials and two trips to the Script Help thread later, I've decided there's nothing wrong with making the player run to the Nickname Rater whenever they steal a new Pokémon. Like you're going to rename a stolen Pokémon while you're standing in front of its ex-owner anyway, right?)

2) Will you wait longer to include the full story before releasing the first beta or just do the first part of the story (like just Kanto) in the first beta and then the rest in beta 2 or 3?

Well, the Kanto arc is going to be pretty long, and can actually be divided pretty neatly into two sections, pre-Mewtwo and post-Mewtwo. (You'll see why.) So I might release a beta there, since there will be a whole lot of gameplay, and it wouldn't be like the beta ended smack in the middle of the plot. It would end at a cliffhanger instead.

... Which might be even worse, depending on your point of view.

Anyway, I'll have to get to that point before I can decide how much the first beta will include. I might release some alphas before then. Maybe when I get the Dig arc scripted.

My opinion is that you should wait to include the whole storyline in the first beta as i was recently playing through Pokemon Genesis (which i really enjoyed) but was really disappointed when i found out beta 3 ended at the 5th badge. Although, i think many would disagree with me because they'd just like to play the game!

Anyways, i've rambled on too long and you've probably got tons to do so i'll end my post here. I'll probably stay active on thsi thread for awhile to come because i'm really hyped up for this! :)

Glad to know you're excited! :D Any and all comments you come up with would be much appreciated.

By the way, thanks to Zanny77's suggestions, we now have a work-around for Pokémon that need to be traded to evolved: a mix between item-based evo and a "forced" evo like I proposed earlier. You'll be able to purchase an item developed by Rocket scientists called SimulaTrade, which does a "simulated trade" (hence the name) on a Pokémon that does trade evo, forcing it to evolve. While "SimulaTrade" is the product's official name, most Grunts know it as the PokéToaster, due to the effect that it has on your Pokémon. (A warning label on the side reminds users to pull their Poké Ball out before the SimulaTrade melts it.) The items are one-use only because they fry their own internal hardware in the process of forcing an evolution, and for that reason they're also very expensive. They won't be available until the Johto arc, which is when Team Rocket's research in forced-evolution finally pays off. The PokéToaster certainly isn't the kindest way to evolve your Pokémon, but since when was Team Rocket anything short of utterly brutal?

And by the way, if you think you'll want a baby Machop running around, better breed your Machoke before evolving it. SimulaTrade will probably sterilize it. (That should be part of its advertising campaign. "No more 'little surprises' from the Day-Care Center, guaranteed!")

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    I dont suppose you have AIM by any chance? It's just it would be much easier to talk than on a forum :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back