• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkie.

Nikeiphoros, eh?
    Years
    You have a spelling error..

I'm not mad, though he's not wearing brown; he's wearing purple. xD I wanted Corey to have green hair, but the only OW palette in the game that had green didn't have any shades of gray to make a black uniform. So I had to improvise and make it purple.

At some point in the future, I might try to edit one of the OW palettes the game doesn't use in order to give him green hair AND a black uniform. (In FireRed, palettes 0 and 16 are pretty much just copies of each other, if I remember correctly, and one of the other palettes--19, I think?--has only four colors on it, and the rest of it is just a bunch of black, so it can be reused.)

So, yeah, there's a reason it doesn't look black to you. It isn't. This bothers me too, so I might work on that once I've gotten some other things out of the way.

Thanks! :D I'll be trying to get the alpha up later today. As to the tiles, if I do anything about them, that'll probably be one of the last things in the game to be changed, since, like you said, the most important part of the game i the storyline, not the tiles.
    Ohh my, a spelling error.. WOW from you? I cant belive it..
    Anyways, this hack is great, like my last post here said, remember to think about your steps..

Aro-kun

Pokemon trainer
    Years
    There's a possibility that you'll be able to steal the leftover Kanto starter from Oak's lab, which probably means Squirtle. That one's iffy, though, because Oak will catch you trying to make the steal; perhaps you'll be able to come back and steal it later.

You'll also definitely be able to steal the leftover Johto starter from Elm, which will be either Chikorita or Totodile, depending on which starter Kris ultimately ends up with. I'll find a way to make all the other Kanto and Johto starters available as well, but those are the only planned methods I've got for for giving a starter so far.

The plan is that ultimately, ToxicPurple will let you catch every Kanto and Johto Pokémon. To balance out the ridiculous number of Pokémon you can catch in one game, a lot of them will be steal-only; you've only got one opportunity to get some evolutionary lines, so if you battle a trainer that you can steal one of those Pokémon from and you don't have an open slot in your party to accept the new Pokémon, you'll never get it.

What about the vs seeker? you should rename it the Rocket Radar, and it supposedly tells you who has a rare pokemon (rebattle them.) you could make it so that when you get decently far in the game, Giovanni promotes you and gives you a rocket radar.

Xatoku

Game Developer
    Years
    What about the vs seeker? you should rename it the Rocket Radar, and it supposedly tells you who has a rare pokemon (rebattle them.) you could make it so that when you get decently far in the game, Giovanni promotes you and gives you a rocket radar.

I think you're on to something....Perhaps it allows you to refight the people who's POKEMON you WERE aloud to steal but missed your chance? And even seeks out new trainers who's POKEMON are attainable? Just a though XD.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    Update on the alpha: right then. Last-minute glitchiness with some of the NPCs will delay it. Hopefully, though, it'll be up Monday evening. It's too late for me to do more work on it tonight.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    1) The sprite that you're trying to insert does not have proper dimensions for the intro sprite. I'm going to be making separate intro sprites for both Player genders and the Rival that match the in-game proportions for intro sprites.

2) I'm sure there must be a very good reason for why you took my sprite and--without asking my permission, or even having the simple courtesy to inform me after the fact--inserted it into a hack? I'm going to assume that you were being nice, wanted to insert the sprites into a ROM for me, and didn't tell me about it so that you could surprise me, or that you were doing a test-run to figure out how to insert sprites and mine happened to be the one you decided to do tests on, and not that you were planning on actually stealing my sprite. This isn't the first time you've decided to do stuff with my sprites without asking me beforehand, after all; and if you WERE actually planning on stealing them, I doubt you'd have put screenshots of your attempting to do so on PC, since I'd be able to see them. If you need sprites to experiment with, The Spriters Resource has tons, it's a great site. Please don't use my sprites again.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's angering to discover that someone has been using your sprites without telling you.

Yes that was my intention, of making it a surprise. I had no intention at all to release a ROM using your sprites at all since I'm basically just taking this as an experience to learn inserting sprites myself and maybe in the process I could cut down the time it'd take you to figure out how to insert it later on. And I took care not to publicly post the original image file for your sprite in another thread. So I don't see how I was stealing anything to begin with for my own profit. As you would have derived from your observations the above conclusions, if I indeed had ill-intentions, I would not have been as foolish as to post a picture of it for the world to see. I would not have even posted at pokecommunity at all or used the same account if I couldn't find help elsewhere. Since my post history would be easily traceable and read. As I'm sure you've done so a few times already.

I'm sorry if it caused you any unease, trouble or annoyance for not seeking your permission first and that I couldn't be of much help. But I assure you that whatever testing I may have done has not been released other than the glitched picture I used to ask for help on rectifying the insert. And I do see how you would not trust a person you've barely known on the internet, but I wished you'd be less hostile or suspicious of people's intentions and more open to help given to your project. Of course you do have the power to refuse help when offered since this is your project after all. But at the same time it is also equally "angering" to be rebuked by the person you've been spending quite alot of time and effort trying to help, even though, and especially when, they have an understanding (or maybe an inkling) of your real intentions.

The tone of your voice isn't "harsh", as you like to call it. It's simply rude and irate.

EDIT: btw I'm well aware that the Player and Rival intro sprites are NOT the proper dimensions for the intro sprites. But neither is it the proper dimensions for the battle sprite or the sprite you'd see on the player's card either. I already knew this before I decided to experiment, as you have mentioned that those sprites aren't the correct sizes in one of your previous posts which I took to mean you would be resizing the sprites, whether remaking them from scratch or simply resizing the dimensions later. However, since I noted you had trouble figuring HOW to insert the sprites, I decided to help by learning it myself. The objective was to help speed up the process of acquiring the knowledge to insert a sprite and not necesseraily helping you insert the sprite per se. I decided to use your sprite instead of a regular gamefreak sprite since the sprite you would be inserting eventually would have somewhat similar palettes and properties.

And no, the reason why the male player sprite turned out glitchy wasn't because it was of the wrong dimension.

Thank you for editing the upper arms and shoulders; when I have a chance, I'll put those edits into my main sprite. I would appreciate it if you not do anything else with my sprites, because you went off to edit my OW sprites the moment you saw the post without gaining my prior permission or even asking if I was okay with that, and then when I did say you could edit one particular part of one of my trainer sprites, you edited everything else as well. I understand that you're probably just trying to help, but as the creator and owner of ToxicPurple I don't appreciate it when someone else tries to modify my work without so much as asking me beforehand.
    I admit that I did edit other parts of female Corey's sprite other than her shoulders, but let me remind you again that in your first post you did gave permission to me that I could mess with the others sprites except Leone which was the only sprite you said I could not mess with. And you agreed that I could "mess with it" when I asked if I could. The "shoulder's needing work" thing was only an additional note or afterthought made by you to tell me which part of her sprite you needed most help on. There was no explicit statement the only edit of the sprite you permitted was her shoulders. The same is true for male Corey So anyway, whether I wanted to help you with her shoulders and male Corey's neckline or just mess around with the sprites in general at my own leisure was for me to decide. In the end, I mistook that you were referring to the OW sprites at the time so there was some confusion there. I have not released or made claim anywhere on this forum or the entire internet for that matter that the sprites or OW sprites were my creation or belonged to me. So no, I did not break any permission rules whatsoever. And do not try to falsely accuse me of something I have not done no matter how annoyed you are.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Looks AWSOME!!!!!!
    I like the idea of rattata bieng your starter(Its true XD).
    But,whats the deal with Mewtwo?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    The vs seeker idea is an interesting one but it would depend on whether you could change the function of the vs seeker so that it doesn't just search out trainers that want to battle again and actually searches out trainers with rare pokemon etc. Also, in many of the hacks I've played the vs seeker has never worked properly as it cannot detect the changed locations of trainers etc. However, as this game is just an edited Kanto and not an entirely new region this might not be a problem.

Although, I do not believe the vs seeker is worth considering until a couple of betas time as it is just a minor issue.

Oh and Mineowyn your posts have been just as if not more hostile than Ckret's and I don't think it is necessary to take up so much space on the thread with an arguement between yourself and her. It would of been much better for you to pm her as I don't think your arguements are of any importance to this thread.

Countdown to ToxicPurple Alpha Release: ? Hours ? Minutes ? Seconds

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
    If you have trouble inserting sprites, I was told you can download some tool to make the sprite without the colors being changed (i dont remember the name xD). I was told it was a good tool, i think u should use it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Oh and Mineowyn your posts have been just as if not more hostile than Ckret's and I don't think it is necessary to take up so much space on the thread with an arguement between yourself and her. It would of been much better for you to pm her as I don't think your arguements are of any importance to this thread.

Posts? Only one post if you're referring to my last reply. I'm not generally aware that I've been hostile in more than one post. I'm not a robot, I don't see why my posts should not be hostile if I felt I was being spoken to in an unfriendly manner.

I agree my argument with her isn't of any importance to this thread, but so was the issue of whether I'm guilty of sprite theft in another thread of any relevance to this thread.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    man i want the alpha soon lol
    i keep checkin every couple hours -_-
    impatienceeee

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Lol, I joined so I can watch this game's progress.
    I've already watched the Youtube video like forty times, and I've been checking here frequently.
    This is going to be awesome.
    I always did want to say yes, and my friend told me if I went back and did the Mt. Moon route 20 times and then fought him I would get a yes option and I fell for it, lost all my stuff and a lot of time.
    Too many Zubats.... I don't like them, now.
    Haven't for a long time.

Last edited:

Cholo

Moveset Breeder
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    i was just thinkin
    didnt the anime have pokemon centers heal any pokemon no matter who the trainers were??
    that is if i remember correctly..

Milk

ガットミルク
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    I think its mewtwo cause its based off the movie?

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    i was just thinkin
    didnt the anime have pokemon centers heal any pokemon no matter who the trainers were??

Yeah, it's basically a vow to heal any pokemon. But I guess in this case it can be overruled by the fact that the nurse would never even bother to look at the state of your pokemon because you'd be chased out simply for being a part of Team Rocket?

ckret2

Years
    Looks AWSOME!!!!!!
    I like the idea of rattata bieng your starter(Its true XD).
    But,whats the deal with Mewtwo?
    I think its mewtwo cause its based off the movie?

Yeah, the Mewtwo subplot is inspired by the Mewtwo movie and TV special. Inspired by, but won't be the same as. Mewtwo is still hiding in Cerulean Cave and still doesn't talk, so it's like the original games in that regard. Its game canon backstory of having been created in the destroyed mansion on Cinnabar Island isn't changed; however, that story is slightly blended with the anime one, to say that Mewtwo was created there through Team Rocket support and funding, in order to be an ultimate Pokémon fighting for them. Which is why it's fighting against them now. It'll be a recurring antagonist (you can't catch it the first few times you run into it, even with a Master Ball), and there will also be several trainers who battle you while under its psychic influence. Mewtwo will also become a more important part of the plot later.

The vs seeker idea is an interesting one but it would depend on whether you could change the function of the vs seeker so that it doesn't just search out trainers that want to battle again and actually searches out trainers with rare pokemon etc. Also, in many of the hacks I've played the vs seeker has never worked properly as it cannot detect the changed locations of trainers etc. However, as this game is just an edited Kanto and not an entirely new region this might not be a problem.

Although, I do not believe the vs seeker is worth considering until a couple of betas time as it is just a minor issue.

For now, I'm not going to be messing with a Vs Seeker. It'd be an interesting add-on, but would take a lot of extra scripting for a relatively minor overall addition. I'm more concerned with the normal gameplay for the time being (what with a ridiculously late alpha and all), though something like a Vs Seeker/Rocket Radar isn't out of the question for the future.

Countdown to ToxicPurple Alpha Release: ? Hours ? Minutes ? Seconds

Wish I knew, heh. I've had more work to do recently than I anticipated. I'm getting there, though.

If you have trouble inserting sprites, I was told you can download some tool to make the sprite without the colors being changed (i dont remember the name xD). I was told it was a good tool, i think u should use it.

I know of a couple of tools that are used for at least part of the process of inserting sprites--if the one you're talking about is either unLZ or GIMP (which are the only two tools I've seen used anywhere), then I know about them, and the reason I've been having sprite troubles is because neither works on my Mac.

However, yesterday, in a flash of good fortune, I was able to open unLZ. I don't know how, because I didn't exactly do anything different than usual. (Double-click on the icon, wait for Wine to open up, cross fingers, and hope unLZ doesn't crash. Not exactly a process that changes from try to try.) It was kinda glitchy, though, but might prove to be functional enough after I look at the tutorials and mess around with it a while. GIMP is still a lost cause.

If you were referring to a tool other than unLZ or GIMP, I'd be happy to try it out and see if it works any better.

man i want the alpha soon lol
    i keep checkin every couple hours -_-
    impatienceeee

Sorry it's taken longer than expected to get the alpha up. The main scripts of the plot are done, but there are a lot of trainers with unmodified Pokémon levels that I'm wondering what to do with, since I don't want to modify them all right now. I'm thinking that perhaps for the purpose of the alpha, I'll just set their flags so that they're invisible, and then go back and edit them later.

There are also quite a few NPC comments that should be changed. I could just leave the NPCs alone until later on, but when they're saying stuff like "You beat TEAM ROCKET all alone? That's amazing!" it would be a bit... ridiculous to not do something about them.

i was just thinkin
    Yeah, it's basically a vow to heal any pokemon. But I guess in this case it can be overruled by the fact that the nurse would never even bother to look at the state of your pokemon because you'd be chased out simply for being a part of Team Rocket?

I don't remember any Team Rocket members trying to get their Pokémon healed at a Pokémon Center in the anime, but if they did, I'm sure that if they were able to demonstrate that their Pokémon were seriously injured, the Joys would gladly help the Pokémon and then scold the trainers for their lives of sin and crime or something like that. In this game, though, it'll be a Pokémon Center policy not to help criminals. If a Rocket really needs professional medical care for his Pokémon, he can turn himself into the police and they'll insure his Pokémon get proper care while he's sent to jail. That way, nurses don't spend their time helping bad guys that'll then go out and cause injuries to more Pokémon. And, yes, the nurses also never get to see the condition of your Pokémon before they run you out.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    well i know i said there was some inpatience lol but im sure every1 would rather you take your time doing this so that it is rlly good.
    man the ideas u came up with are so sick btw! this is gonna be better than the actual games lol good luck

ckret2

Years
    Important update! No, it's not the alpha yet.

I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is, it doesn't look like I'll be getting the alpha out today after all. The good news is, due to some miracle of reconfiguring on my Mac that I think occurred when I was trying to get it to run Eversion...

[HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

... unLZ now works on my computer.

The palette in the above picture is a bit different from the palette in the example I gave earlier. One reason is that I wanted to use a palette that was already in the game instead of use a whole new palette, and the first good palette with enough green for his hair that I ran into also happened to be a palette with a lot of purple. (I'm beginning to sense a pattern.) The other reason is that I want the male character's trainer sprite to approximately match his OW sprite, so if his OW has a purple uniform, the trainer sprite should too.

(Sadly, I never managed to run Eversion. But unLZ is a good consolation prize.)

I, for one, am really excited. :D

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
    That's awesome to hear!
    I love checking the progress of this hack. An Alpha would be the uber-bombest thing yet!
    Don't rush, but I'm already getting stoked to see this thing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back