• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Can We Jumpstart the RP Section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    Everyone should agree, its dead. No one is around anymore. 5 maybe 6 people are still posting. Or trying to. What can we do to jumpstart the section again?

Đ a r κ

Love Intent
    Years
    Well, since alot of people have different interests and different styles of RP's; maby if we all bring our idea's into one whole RP that contains something that everyone would like, more people might be attracted to it. Then again, there are people who wouldn't commit to rping as much as they could.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    Well of course I would just recommend to everyone to actualy commit to roleplays. Just ask around for people to join roleplays and even create them yourselves. Because if no one wants to jumpstart the RP section we cant force it

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    I suppose the people who have been a part of successful RPs before should answer.

As far as I'm concerned, you'll need a like-minded partner to have lots of activity.

Some RPs are also too hard and lack relevance to actual PC problems. They don't get in the way though, since one RP doesn't necessarily stop another.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I'm pretty sure I've already said this about a million times over the last few weeks, but the RP section is ALWAYS dead around this time of the year, and it has been like this since I started RPing a few years ago. It's the end of school and the beginning of summer for many, so people are busy as heck. I for one am being killed by final projects, and I have exams coming up next week, and then I'm going to Europe. People are just busy, it'll pick up soon.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    I'm pretty sure I've already said this about a million times over the last few weeks, but the RP section is ALWAYS dead around this time of the year, and it has been like this since I started RPing a few years ago. It's the end of school and the beginning of summer for many, so people are busy as heck. I for one am being killed by final projects, and I have exams coming up next week, and then I'm going to Europe. People are just busy, it'll pick up soon.

Well I dont remember it being like this last year tahts why I asked. It just seemed like when the DBE's started poping up everywhere is when it seemed like it died.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I can't say I personally remember much about last year's RP section, but I can say that this is about as dead as I've ever seen the RP section.

I know it's a little bigheaded, but I don't personally feel motivated to visit this section anymore, because I know there's nothing new. There's never any new posts, there's never any threads that need to be accepted or declined, and really, I think the RP section isn't dead, it's at a standstill.

I can't agree with Davi-kun when he says it's due to finals, because I know that we're not all doing finals, and we're not all doing stuff. Some people just don't visit anymore. I think the main problem is lack.

1. Of people who can RP literately.
    2. Of people who can commit themselves to an RP.
    3. Of people with time on their hands.

I have currently seen nobody with all three of those combinations. And those are the three things that are most important. The first one is easily solved, but you certainly CANNOT walk up to someone and say, "I feel that you are not literate, so you should go read a dictionary." How, are you going to break it to someone that they SUCK at RPing without feeling like the shoe that just got stepped in some cow dung?? <-- for lack of a better metaphor. Simile. Whatever.

The second, is based on many things. This is my biggest problem. I'll join an RP I like, one day later, "Oh god, I hate this series. *leave*" I get interested in other things, I'd rather RP those things. I think it's your personality that contributes to this. And heck, my personality is probably sitting on top of the "Too-lazy-to-post" throne.

The third is something that just can't be helped. It's real life, and real life, is more important then internet life. (I'm contradicting my own opinion, isn't that fun?)

I can write an entire essay on this, and still not think of a solution.

But my main opinion on the reason for this drought:

Same as Randall's. Not enough members who actually RP. And the people like me who are really picky about who they RP with. I've got maybe six people who sign up, and most likely, I'm going to accept one out of the six. It just doesn't work that way.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Wellz~

I know I stopped because of everything that Jyukai said. People who just can't roleplay are boring, and hard to follow most of the time. Yeah, people do sign up, make their nooby first post and disappear from the thread. I don't see why people can't MAKE time for something the committed themselves to, but I guess there's nothing we can do about it. Now that the DBA's are pretty much over-with, Ive been noticing more new kinds around. Maybe that also means more people who know how to roleplay will come to.

Certain threads have down-time, like Other Chat is getting quiet(I think it's starting back up again though), it's just Roleplaying's turn.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    I'd have to agree with y'all on some of these things. I mean.. I fit into all of the catagories... x_x I lose motivation so easily, I am running into exams (or finals, w/e) and, I get the vibe from other people that I can't RP literally. xD;

Well... maybe we could organize an RP that contains one thing that us active RPers like the most.. and make one big (and hopefully), good RP that will hopefully kick this forum into livelyness?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'd have to agree with y'all on some of these things. I mean.. I fit into all of the catagories... x_x I lose motivation so easily, I am running into exams (or finals, w/e) and, I get the vibe from other people that I can't RP literally. xD;

Well... maybe we could organize an RP that contains one thing that us active RPers like the most.. and make one big (and hopefully), good RP that will hopefully kick this forum into livelyness?

...Literately... xDDDD

Noice one there.

I don't think people who can't roleplay are boring, I think they just don't know how to convey a realistic reaction. And um... that's a definite problem.

There have been so many learning RP's set up. None of them even start, and, in the end, nothing is taught. So many teaching idea's have been brought out, but every single one seems to have a flaw. It's like, a never ending cycle.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    I can't say I personally remember much about last year's RP section, but I can say that this is about as dead as I've ever seen the RP section.

I know it's a little bigheaded, but I don't personally feel motivated to visit this section anymore, because I know there's nothing new. There's never any new posts, there's never any threads that need to be accepted or declined, and really, I think the RP section isn't dead, it's at a standstill.

I can't agree with Davi-kun when he says it's due to finals, because I know that we're not all doing finals, and we're not all doing stuff. Some people just don't visit anymore. I think the main problem is lack.

I have currently seen nobody with all three of those combinations. And those are the three things that are most important. The first one is easily solved, but you certainly CANNOT walk up to someone and say, "I feel that you are not literate, so you should go read a dictionary." How, are you going to break it to someone that they SUCK at RPing without feeling like the shoe that just got stepped in some cow dung?? <-- for lack of a better metaphor. Simile. Whatever.

The second, is based on many things. This is my biggest problem. I'll join an RP I like, one day later, "Oh god, I hate this series. *leave*" I get interested in other things, I'd rather RP those things. I think it's your personality that contributes to this. And heck, my personality is probably sitting on top of the "Too-lazy-to-post" throne.

The third is something that just can't be helped. It's real life, and real life, is more important then internet life. (I'm contradicting my own opinion, isn't that fun?)

I can write an entire essay on this, and still not think of a solution.

But my main opinion on the reason for this drought:

Same as Randall's. Not enough members who actually RP. And the people like me who are really picky about who they RP with. I've got maybe six people who sign up, and most likely, I'm going to accept one out of the six. It just doesn't work that way.

Two of those three apply to me. I lose intrest very easy. If something is moving slow like alot of these newbie RPs do. I lose all intrest and leave. I have been RPing for about 3 years and I still get lost and can't RP correctly. I have my moments I know. But when I'm not RPing well I know it. Honestly I would like for people to tell me when I screw up. I think thats a lot of the problem. We get criticized in front of everyone and get frustrated and it doesn't really help. Maybe we could instead of telling them what they did wrong, tell them what they can do better and include what they did wrong in it so they dont feel dumb.

Now I am not one to talk because I have been there before but a lot of people leave because someone gets ignorant with them about how the screwed something up. *raises hand* TRUST ME, I know from experiance as the person who says it to them, then I go off and make the same mistake. The biggest thing we need, IMO, is a way to help people realize their mistake and help them to fix it. How, I dont know. But I'm open to ideas on it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Yes I agree...I dont usually RP much beacuse the ore experienced ones tend to get all frustrated at the noobs because they messed up...
    If more veteran RPers were kind and understanding to noobs then maybe RP wouldnt die...
    I hate to see it die...it's sooo fun when you are RPing and haing a good time....
    sometimes I think people care too much about semantics...they expect everyone's RP posts to be 'Book quality' that's what I hate...Whatever happened to the good old fashioned simple RP format that was noob friendly and allowed everyone to have fun?

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    i know. its those kinda RPs that lasted forever. My favorite was Team X. Alana started it way back in December of 04. Lasted a long time. Over three hundred post. Thats a lot for an RP. It had a great plot even though plots back then were 5 sentences. Hers was 5 paragraphs. It was great. Those were the days. When the RP sample wasn't a HUGE deal. Now if its not 10 paragraphs you get chewed out. Is there some way we could do something like that again? Thats when the RP section was most alive.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Kuraudo Sutoraifu said:
    Everyone should agree, its dead.

I prefer to call it 'not yet fully deceased'. Like Asch and Chikara said; it's just a downtime, just a more pronounced one than in the last few years.

Killer-Swift said:

Um...encompassing everyone's tastes is next to impossible without turning the plot ridiculous, really. Also, there's a strong risk of overplanning here, which - I believe - is what screwed up the teaching RP initiatives. If you strive too hard to please everyone the end result could be far too lukewarm and not really interest anyone. xP

Actually, Alarayne got a new post from Mika. :3 But yeah, I get what you're saying. The section is deader (Is that even a word? Probably not, but you get my meaning) than I've ever seen it before. T_T

I have currently seen nobody with all three of those combinations. And those are the three things that are most important.

I'm deeply hurt...

1. Yeah, I'd like to think of myself as literate.
    2. Ancient Dynasty is currently about one and a half years old, I've kept it alive through that time through all means available to me and never desert an RP if there are any other active members. I'd like to think of that as commitment.
    3. Let's see...during this week I've watched a total of about 100 anime episodes of Naruto and Bleach and just yesterday I actually bothered to organize the files on my computer. When I voluntarily organize my own stuff then you know that I have too much free time on my hands. xP I'm done with exams and have obtained my driver's license so I really have no firm RL commitments at the moment; I'm just plain lazy because the RP section is having a downtime. T_T

Oh, and deeply hurt to find that certain people apparently don't consider me literate and/or capable of commiting to an RP.
    The first one is easily solved, but you certainly CANNOT walk up to someone and say, "I feel that you are not literate, so you should go read a dictionary." How, are you going to break it to someone that they SUCK at RPing without feeling like the shoe that just got stepped in some cow dung?? <-- for lack of a better metaphor. Simile. Whatever.

I've done something to that effect once or twice, but I was in a bad mood and I've been known to be crude anyway, so yeah. Maybe it's not the best approach.

Okay, now that's a trickier problem to solve. Me, I'm a procrastinator about everything except RPing so I've never really had that problem. Matters of mindset are hard to remedy, unfortunately, unless you're ready to just push yourself a little at times. x3

Amen on not enough RPers. As for sign-ups...well, sometimes being picky works (It has for me, although I probably just scare off illiterate people by writing ridiculously long-winded plots and rules x3) and sometimes it doesn't (I've seen good plots go to waste because the RP master really had no choice but to lower standards in order to get a workable-size cast together). I don't see anything wrong with being picky, though, as long as it's looking at the actual quality of writing rather than 'This isn't one of my RP buddies/PC friends! Declined!!! xO '.

Chikara said:
    I know I stopped because of everything that Jyukai said. People who just can't roleplay are boring, and hard to follow most of the time. Yeah, people do sign up, make their nooby first post and disappear from the thread. I don't see why people can't MAKE time for something the committed themselves to, but I guess there's nothing we can do about it. Now that the DBA's are pretty much over-with, Ive been noticing more new kinds around. Maybe that also means more people who know how to roleplay will come to.

My sentiments exactly; there's practically always time if you put your mind to making some. Be honest, people: is there anyone here who hasn't wasted any time today? The main problem is motivation, which - of course - we can't really enforce. I'm also hoping that more of the good RPers will be back. x3

Poketrainer2004 said:
    Yes I agree...I dont usually RP much beacuse the ore experienced ones tend to get all frustrated at the noobs because they messed up...
    If more veteran RPers were kind and understanding to noobs then maybe RP wouldnt die...
    I hate to see it die...it's sooo fun when you are RPing and haing a good time....
    sometimes I think people care too much about semantics...they expect everyone's RP posts to be 'Book quality' that's what I hate...Whatever happened to the good old fashioned simple RP format that was noob friendly and allowed everyone to have fun?

Uh...RPs are expected to be written in legible English and plots are expected to make at least limited sense and - again - be written in legible English; that's not the same as book quality. The only real difference between now and then is that the rules that were already in place are being more actively enforced and we have moderation to block out subpar plots that would have been deleted anyway. Of course it would be better if we didn't need to do this, but it's a fact that the section was completely out of control at the time moderation was introduced. :\
    Kuraudo Sutoraifu said:
    Over three hundred post. Thats a lot for an RP.

Uhh...AD has 1033 posts, not counting sign-ups and plot, after only one and a half years. Alphimega had 1850 in all before it turned out that the RP creator had plagiarized and the RP was shut down, about three months after startup. (Yeah, we were crazy, nooby and had way too much free time, but the posts by the end were ginormous. x3) A bit above 300 in four years really isn't that much. I mean, that's only something like 7 posts per month. x_O

I think the sheer amount of quotes in this post proves that I have too much free time on my hands. I've been itching to start a new RP for quite a while now (especially since this freakin' downtime just officially killed one of mine), but...well, let's face it; are there enough people actually willing and able to RP to make it worth the while? Similar lines of thought could be part of the reason for the lack of new plots that Jyukai mentioned.

But yeah, I think I've rambled enough for one post. xD

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Ack, really AE? (I actually added that last one fer you. xO *shotshotshot*) I dunno, you once mentioned something about not having any time... *shrug* And I mean, I know you can commit, and (how could I not know that you're literate?) the problem is is that you only join like, one or two RP's at once. :/ And right now, we've got one to three RP's that are being posted in. *shot*

And yes, Mii-chan told me she posted. xD; But I was kind of waiting for Kogenta, because honestly, there's nothing left for us to do except sit and wait. I mean, it's not like it'd be smart to go wandering the corridors after a G-men search, quite frankly, and looking for Mika is probably the stupidest thing on earth.

And let me re-phrase that for Randall: "300 posts is a lot for an RP... when the cast doesn't consist of Mii-chan, Kogenta, AE, ybur and Charon." xD That IS the cast in both RP's, is it not? Sometimes a good cast combination makes for a good RP.

Poketrainer: A lot of good RPer's here don't write book quality. Boook quality is where the description for the same thing will vary drastically, but still get the same point across. As far as I'm concerned, I've used, "Black" for my description of "Black" many times. I've never found the need to put, "Like an inky mass," or, "Like the dark night sky"- No. Just Black. Book quality is much different from the quality we're getting from PC RP's. Now, in the past, and probably in the future. Book-quality can be expected, but it's painfully OBVIOUS that it's not going to be recieved.

The veteran's probably get frustrated when n00bs mess up because most of those people are too stubborn to change their ways, or if they say they'll try, you look at the next post, might as well be a replica of the one that has a mistake in it. For the n00bs that successfully change their ways, no human in their right mind who has just achieved their goal would still be frustrated. Unless you had some serious issues with yourself, or that person, and that's a personal thing, not a n00by thing.

Years
    Heh heh, never thought I would see the RPG section dead here, it was always full to the brim with RPG's XP. Well I'm back now, exams are practically over, I have one more in 10 days which I don't need to revise for. I was a bit gutted to find there were next to no RPG's to join in on ;-; I'll start one soon as I can get onto SPPF for the thread lol, it will be Digimon based though XP

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    Another problem I've been noticing lately is lack of inspiration. I mean, EVERYTHING is starting to look the same to me. There's no diversity anymore, people are just forming plots with concepts off the top of their heads. That's why when I go to Europe at the beginning of July, I'm hoping to receive some form of inspiration

Bell~ said:
    The veteran's probably get frustrated when n00bs mess up because most of those people are too stubborn to change their ways, or if they say they'll try, you look at the next post, might as well be a replica of the one that has a mistake in it. For the n00bs that successfully change their ways, no human in their right mind who has just achieved their goal would still be frustrated. Unless you had some serious issues with yourself, or that person, and that's a personal thing, not a n00by thing.
    That's exactly what it is, at least in my case. I know I'm tired of telling people they have room for improvement, and they brush it off like they know better. I mean, I'm not super, but I like to think I'm capable enough that I can form a sentence properly, thus giving me the ability to write better quality posts. I know I sound arrogant, but that's just how I see things. The RPing here isn't going to get any better until the people who aren't good take the initiative to improve. Nobody starts out great.

"How'd it go!?" I asked Robert with a smile on my face as I ran up to him. Even though I was two years younger then him, I had developed a stronge friendship with him. My Umbreon ears twitched as I heard something approaching from behind me. That stupid cat was following me again"

^December 8th, 2004. That was me only a few months after I started RPing. Yeah, I know it's bad, laugh if you want, some of you are worse than that anyways.

YOU WILL NOT IMPROVE UNLESS YOU TRY TO IMPROVE. I can't emphasize that enough. And sadly, nobody has been. For some reason, even after being told off multiple times, people still don't make an attempt to improve. This has been going on for some time now, but it's been worse in earlier days. Some of the RPers here have been members for a year or two, and if you compared the skill level of their first RP post to one recently, you'd find little to no difference. But even still, I can't make people improve, nobody can. However, if the quality keeps up as horribly as it has been, things may start to get even more strict, meaning things will even deader. So, for the good of the RP section, I'd suggest most of you start putting more effort into your posts.

Sorry for the rant, but thats been on my mind for at least a year and a half now...

Years
    I know things like this have been tried before, but why not start like a school type things where you set challenges? It takes alot of effort and dedication, but it can help if its done right. For example first challenge can be a sign=up thatnis marked by the mods and given tips on how to better it. Of course, if people fail to improve through that then I'm at a loss. Appart from self dedication to getting better in RPGing, teaching is really the only way.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    The school is actually an idea I've never seen used, only heard that it's failed in the past. But I guess the problem isn't that it failed in the past, I think the problem is the different people around. I think the first step to getting better at RPing is telling yourself, "Tarnations. Ah'm no gewd at this ahm Ah?" With a few variations on the way you say it.

But saying you suck about something with real genui-...genuinity... is that a word? Well. Whatever, you know what I mean. Saying that when you really mean it isn't exactly something we're bred and born to do.

I think a school would be fun, and I sure as heck would be able to pull of starting it up, (or letting someone else start it up ;3) but, making it work is a matter of who knows they're not good at RPing, and who doesn't. It falls on voluntary joining, and voluntary improvement.

And since we're on the subject, this has been brought up so many times. Why not... you know. Actually do something this time? xD;

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Ack, really AE? (I actually added that last one fer you. xO *shotshotshot*) I dunno, you once mentioned something about not having any time... *shrug* And I mean, I know you can commit, and (how could I not know that you're literate?) the problem is is that you only join like, one or two RP's at once. :/ And right now, we've got one to three RP's that are being posted in. *shot*

Ehh...yeah, that was back when I was still staring down finals, two university entrance exams, and my driver's license practical exam. Tis' all done now. x3 As for my RP joining habits...true enough; It's a side-effect of my commitment, really. When I read plots I'm always picky because I want to make sure that it's an RP that I would be motivated to post in rain or shine and I also have my whole wordiness problem, as it really takes me about three hours to make a profile I'm really happy with; provided that I don't write a new sample. Anyways, I had to cut down on joining all new RPs until my exams were done (It was really the only way I could make enough time for studying) and after that the section was already pretty dead...so yeah, the RPs worth joining had either all started or required insider anime info I didn't have. :\
    And let me re-phrase that for Randall: "300 posts is a lot for an RP... when the cast doesn't consist of Mii-chan, Kogenta, AE, ybur and Charon." xD That IS the cast in both RP's, is it not? Sometimes a good cast combination makes for a good RP.

Actually, the Alphimega cast - ones who didn't desert - was only me, Yibber, Plushie, and Fliss (although Flissie-chan has always been a pretty lazy poster xP) and AD also includes Melissa, Plushie, and BB. I dunno'...I like my RPs to have at least one new post a day at average, guess that's where all the complaints about my RPs going too fast came from. x3

Agreeing with Asch, as I've had similar experiences with certain n00blets. For some reason, RPer pride seems to be inversely proportional to RPing skill; the worse the RPer the more adverse they tend to be to any notion of improving (or even accepting that there's room for improvement) and the more hostile they tend to be towards criticism. I can't count the times I've seen people go 'I understand' when it's glaringly obvious that they don't and are just trying to brush the issue aside. People have a disturbing tendency to take criticism of their writing as a personal insult, unfortunately. :\

Yeah, I know it's bad, laugh if you want, some of you are worse than that anyways.

Actually, that post reminded me of the times when I posted beneath the limit at times...scary, but true. I wouldn't dare to laugh out of fear that someone would dig up some of those. I'd like to think that I have a reputation to preserve. xD Yeah, I think most of us have been down that road sometime; the problem is that not everyone tries to improve from there. At least your example - in all its shortness - is written legibly, which is something that not all of the current posters around here have achieved. xP
    YOU WILL NOT IMPROVE UNLESS YOU TRY TO IMPROVE. I can't emphasize that enough. And sadly, nobody has been. For some reason, even after being told off multiple times, people still don't make an attempt to improve. This has been going on for some time now, but it's been worse in earlier days. Some of the RPers here have been members for a year or two, and if you compared the skill level of their first RP post to one recently, you'd find little to no difference. But even still, I can't make people improve, nobody can. However, if the quality keeps up as horribly as it has been, things may start to get even more strict, meaning things will even deader. So, for the good of the RP section, I'd suggest most of you start putting more effort into your posts.

You know, that should be a section announcement or something, because I somehow doubt that the people needing this message the most are reading it. I agree that it's a very sad thing when people who have been here for over a year are still posting at the same quality as when they started. There's got to be something wrong with the way people are doing things if a whole year doesn't make a difference. :\

I know things like this have been tried before, but why not start like a school type things where you set challenges? It takes alot of effort and dedication, but it can help if its done right. For example first challenge can be a sign=up thatnis marked by the mods and given tips on how to better it. Of course, if people fail to improve through that then I'm at a loss. Appart from self dedication to getting better in RPGing, teaching is really the only way.

I'd sign up for something like that; people usually only give feedback for failed profiles so I've never really gotten any on that front and there really isn't a place for discussing RPing yet; only plots. I've never seen this idea tried myself (only discussed), but I agree that it's about time for a new shot.
    And since we're on the subject, this has been brought up so many times. Why not... you know. Actually do something this time? xD;

Didn't I say something to that effect, like...a month ago? o.O Let's face it; the RPers of PC are quite good at discussing things, but not quite as good at making them happen. xD I for one would like to see this happen, so if there's something I can do to help then lemme' know; I've got both time and intrest to spare for this. Still, it's up to you modly folks in the end, isn't it? After all, that's the simplest way of establishing who gets to give criticism and who gets to take it. :3

Mind you, we needn't promote it as 'Join here if you suck at RPing and know it.'; after all, it's basically a way to test your RPing skills, ne? Should be intresting for the experienced and the n00by alike, although of course I could just see it that way because I'm such an RPing geek. Anyways, I just realized: we've got a threadfull of ideas for this burried here somewhere, don't we? Why not dig that up and then get the planning done now that we're on an attendance downtime so that it will be ready to go when people start coming back? Just a few thoughts. :3

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back