• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can you type like that?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    So, how do you type? Are you a two finger typer who types with just their two fingers? Or do you type the usual way with all fingers on the keyboard? Are you a fast typer or a slow typer?

I type with just two of my fingers. It's easier for me to see the keys this way. I do use other fingers to hit keys like the delete key, which I was my ring finger for. It's funny because a lot of people are amazed by how fast I can type with just two fingers. I've had a few people tell me I type really fast this way. XD

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
    I type relatively slow and always look at the keyboard when I type stuff, mostly because of either habit or because I want to avoid typos as good as possible...
    At least it works :p

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I actually don't have any idea =D
    It's somewhere between 6 and the whole 10.
    Since I pretty much move with the whole hand on my keyboard I don't really realize how many fingers I use.

Years
    I remember being taught the "proper" of typing in elementary school and I've been using it ever since. Those typing speed tests are actually fun to do once in a while; just completed one right now and I got 100-110 words per minute. Not entirely sure if that's faster than the average person, but my friends have commented on how fast I can type. Generally I keep my left thumb on the space bar, while the rest of fingers will be positioned at a, s, and my index being somewhere between d and f. Right hand fingers will be at j, k, l, and ;. Both my pinkies will be positioned near the shift button.

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I'm generally a slow typer, but I don't use all my fingers. I use both my thumbs, but I don't use my pinkies for typing.

Bruce Bei Fong

Midnight Dragon
    Years
    I only use two fingers and my thumb for hitting the space-bar. However, I am extremely fast at typing. I can touch-type and out-race some of my friends who type fast and use all their fingers.

I started writing stories on my dad's MS Word as a young child, you see. Really helped with learning to spell and it helped me increase my typing speed a considerable amount.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I type the standard way that we're taught (here at least) to type. Home keys and all that good stuff. Apparently I type at lightning speed, because when I am on Skype with friends or something, if I start typing they're just like TF WAS THAT??? SYD ARE YOU TYPING??? Apparently I type really loudly too idk I think that's just my keyboard to tell you the truth.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I remember being taught the "proper" of typing in elementary school and I've been using it ever since. Those typing speed tests are actually fun to do once in a while; just completed one right now and I got 100-110 words per minute. Not entirely sure if that's faster than the average person, but my friends have commented on how fast I can type. Generally I keep my left thumb on the space bar, while the rest of fingers will be positioned at a, s, and my index being somewhere between d and f. Right hand fingers will be at j, k, l, and ;. Both my pinkies will be positioned near the shift button.

The average adult should be able to type about 35-45 words per minute. So ye, you're pretty fast.

I type the way that we were taught (drilled) to type in Elementary School. My Computer Apps teacher would smack us on the forehead with a meter stick if we looked down at the keyboard as we were taking the typing tests. I'm actually glad for that though because now I can multitask and not worry about if I'm actually typing what it is I'm thinking to type or if it's just a bunch of jumbled up words. I do often hit the semicolon key instead of the apostrophe one though which is upsetting.

Years
    I usually don't put too much thought into how I type...although it does seem to be about two fingers per hand, with other fingers hitting the outer keys as needed.

I forget how fast I can type - it's been a while since I've measured it - but I can type at a relatively decent pace. Fast enough for me to trip over keys at times, at least. :P

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Hm, interesting information. Though I would have imagined it'd be higher considering how much time people spend on the computer these days \:

A lot of them don't know how to spell properly so during actual tests it's like typing out actual words in something completely foreign to them. I don't want to start a rant but they even mess up simple words on paper. I was reading this one guy's essay for English 11 last year and he had at least 50 spelling errors on words that you should have learned before 5th grade.

Years
    A lot of them don't know how to spell properly so during actual tests it's like typing out actual words in something completely foreign to them. I don't want to start a rant but they even mess up simple words on paper. I was reading this one guy's essay for English 11 last year and he had at least 50 spelling errors on words that you should have learned before 5th grade.

Ah, that's true. I was going to edit my post with possible reasons why that average was lower than what I had expected, but you beat me to it XD After my initial reply to this thread, I started going on a rampage of typing tests to see if I could improve any. Do you guys speak while you're typing? I tried that method while doing the test, and I think it may have hindered the results a couple times...

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    I never pay attention to this stuff. I only use my pinkies stuff for using shift and my thumb seldom for space. Even with this, I seem to have a WPM of 70+

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm dyslexic, words are hard, etc. So I only use a few fingers while I watch the screen carefully to ensure I'm writing out real words. Well, a few nails, I should say. I actually slow down considerably when I break a nail because I'm not used to my skin touching the keys, it's a weird feeling the first few days.

My middle fingers do the bulk of the work. My index fingers mostly just grab the letters on the bottom row and the space bar. I've always had crap control over my other fingers (effort), and my thumb nails are usually too long to be useful, they just get in the way.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I've been taught the asdfjkl; typing patterns similar to that of Vanille Sky since I was young. I type with all my fingers. At resting position, my left fingers rest on the a, s, d and f keys, my left fingers on the the j, k, l and ; keys and my left thumb always resting on the spacebar. I hit non-letter keys with either my ring finger or my pinkie. This way, I can type pretty fast, but not as fast as some others that I've seen. My accuracy isn't very spot on though; I do tend to slip up and hit wrong keys sometimes.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    The size of your keyboard also will play a role in how fast you can type. With the laptop I'm currently using which is like crazy old (around 10 years), the keyboard is extremely compact so my typing speed is decreased (about 52 wpm). However with my personal, broken laptop the keyboard is much more spread out and I feel more comfortable and can type much faster(90-105 wpm). And then the school loaned laptop is about in the middle(70-80 Wpm).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Although I learned the standard way of typing, I really don't keep my fingers on the home keys. When I'm preparing to type, my fingers just hover over the keyboard and then just kind of go where they need to. Since I do pretty much all my typing on one computer, I just have a feel for where the keys are on the keyboard.

I pretty much use all of my fingers on both hands. And as I said, I get a lot of practice, so I'm a rather fast typist. Sometimes I make mistakes, but it's not often.

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    When I type I use all my fingers except for my ring fingers. I'm a pretty fast typer but at the same time my friends tell me I'm a loud typer. I just think I put a lot of emphasis into what I am trying to type. :D

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I've never really measured how fast I type because I can never do the sentences they ask you to. D: I've tried once, and it's just... not going to happen for me. >< So, I have no idea how fast I can actually type. I just know I type fast at times.

Back