• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Whitney?

Phantom Kat

A Daydreamer Longing To Write
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 12, 2010
    My Porygon2 wiped the floor with Miltank. :3

Being Genderless, it was immune to Attract. Using Conversion2, Porygon2 (Break) turned into a Steel-type, thus making Rollout almost uselsss. A couple of Confusions later, Miltank was beaten.

- Kat

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I was expecting a fight, but...

Two Magical Leafs and both of her Pokemon fainted. Chikorita was Level 25, Timid, not EV-trained, and holding a Miracle Seed.

In G/S/C, she was a demon, but she's considerably easier in HGSS... or perhaps I'm more dedicated.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I beat her on my first try because I love to over-level, but she was the only gym leader to actually make my starter faint D:

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
  • It's almost a necessity to have Flaafy for this gym, or a Geodude unless you transfer Pokemon.

I prepared my Flaafy ever since Violet City as a Mareep, but I did kinda..Leave my starter in the dust. It's level 7 I think, I beat the game and Only used it on my way to Violet City.

Ampharos is now 84 and modest.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2010
    Extremely high defense, a progressively self-strengthening rollout, immunity to male gender attacks, and self-healing abilities all make the match difficult, and she is by far the only difficult gym leader of any early Pokemon game.

What worked for me was using status ailments. Burning and poisoning through stalling. Sleep and paralysis to stall and use items. Also, there is a lady who sells herbal medicine in the tunnel - pick up plenty of it.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • Thunder Wave + mULIPLE PKMN + Repeated Embers + 1 lvl up.

Works every time. =D

Oh yeah -- female pokemon FTW.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    honestly i had no trouble what so ever from her miltanks RollOout and Stomp which killed almost all my other friends party in their games. the only thing i had trouble with where the miltanks Defenses. my moves barely scratched it ._.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Have a heracross at lvl 19, and a few x-attacks(I used 2) and use them on clefairy, as it can't do anything to you unless it gets a lucky metronome attack. Then when miltank comes out, you can 2 hit it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I *just* beat her, out of pure luck. XD

I beat her with just a Level 23 Bayleef, I killed her Clefairy easily. Her Miltank..I hit it twice. Once, then the second time I got a critical hit and it died.

X3;

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Clefairy was easy with my Mareep... Then Miltank took out two of my pokemon until Hearcross/Brick break= KO'd Cow haha..

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • Why am I the only one who beat her in my first try in less than 5-10 minutes? Because I had a Gastly that knew Hypnosis and Curse that really owned Miltank, then I just mass Water Gun'd it with Croconaw.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    Lol, i taught one of my pokemon taunt and embargo and she never got a chance to use milk drink or potions...
    then killing her with growlithe was a breeze

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • I used a ton of X items and managed to paralyze it with stun spore, and it fell fairly quickly.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Aipom used Tickle! (x6)
    (switch to Heracross)
    Heracross used Brick Break!
    Whitney's Miltank Fainted.

Years
  • Attract didn't pose an issue for me, since I had my Level 24, female Quilava handle the entire battle. It was weak against Rollout, but it had also just learned Defense Curl.
    While Clefairy (who I didn't consider a threat compared to Miltank) was out, I used Defense Curl over and over to build up an armor defense in preparation for Miltank and its super-effective Rollout. When Miltank came out, I fired one Smokescreen after another at it. Thanks to Defense Curl, Rollout and Stomp did barely anything, and thanks to Smokescreen, nearly all of Miltank's attacks missed. I eventually started laying on the Flame Wheel, and ended up burning Miltank twice (the first time, its Lum Berry healed it).
    I thought I had it in the bag there, but then came the Milk Drink. That just made the battle drag on and on, and I was afraid I'd have to wait until Miltank ran out of PP for that move. Luckily, though, I got a critical hit at just the right time, knocking Miltank out before it could heal itself again.

Overall, Whitney was annoying, but not too much of a problem. Morty, on the other hand…

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • She seemed really easy to me? We are talking about the second or third gym leader, right?

If so, she was easy, I had a Teddiursa and it's level must have been about 20-22, I think it gained a level during that battle so that's why I'm not completely sure. I just kept using facade, and she went down fast. Maybe because my Teddiursa was traded from Platinum, and was EV trained, and had a good nature?

Years
  • Honestly, I just beat every trainer I had access to up to that point before facing her for the first and only time. I opened with Quilava, switching over to my female Geodude when I realized Miltank was just going to spam Stomp. It spammed Stomp with flinch hax about 6 times after I sent out Geodude before I got a chance to finish it off by spamming Magnitude.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Ah yes, Whitney, the eternal conundrum. She's sometimes even worse than F.E.A.R.

The best thing to do is simply be smart with your moveset and team early on in the game. When I did it in HeartGold I had a Totodile, Mareep, and a miscelany of lower level Pokemon. It turned out better than I thought though. It seems in Gen IV that Whitney goes moreso for Stomp than Rollout. Just be smart and simplistic with your move choices. When all else fails trade that one kid for a Machop.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • She was easy for me. I just let my Quilava weaken it down (Shockingly it didn't ever use Milk Drink) Quilava fainted I switched in my Shiny Pichu and finished it off with a volt tackle.

Back