• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do YOU battle?

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
Years
  • Definitely beatdown, once I've replaced things like Leer and Growl. I do use Leer though from time to time when raising them up.

~~Blitz~~

Blitz Flare
    Years
  • Normally, I think stat reducers are useless, they just cost me major damaging time.

Although, with the strong Pokemon with higher Defenses that I can barely do any damage to, I will usually use something like Screech or Leer to help me there. Normally Screech, since it's faster.

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I'm sort of a mix of strategies when it comes to battling. I used to use all brute force, but now I'm getting much better at predicting so I can use type advantages if I have a mixed team. I'm also spreading out into better movesets, so it's getting easier.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • I battle with brute force. No reducers no status ailments nothing. If you see my pokemon on diamond there attack and defence is way up there along with speed. If im not battling like that im using my other battle style. Which involves a bit strategy. But with brute force followed.

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
  • My decisions are based on my opponent's decisions.
    And I usually prefer to use trickery to my advantage, such as sending out a Water type and smashing the Electric switch-in with Earthquake.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    • I'll generally have one Pokemon as my main attacker (preferrably a bird for the high speed and decent attack, but I never really pay attention to stats) with 1–3 backups usually about 10–20 levels lower due to my uneven pattern of raising them (preferrably with good defence).

• I tend to use the most powerful offensive move I can muster without sacrificing accuracy, and in the case of using Farfetch'd (my sweeper, given the choice) will use Swords Dance before I start ordering the attack. Where I can, I'll vary the types of the offensive moves I give to my Pokemon.

• Berries are my preferred items for use, namely as cost-free status ailment curers and held healers. I'll give each Pokemon a Sitrus berry (unless it has an enhancing item I make use of) to save me from needing to pause it to actually use an item on it myself.

Just as a footnote: I don't battle competetively.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I battle by trying take advantage of my opponents mistakes, which is really what competitive battling is all about...And you need a balanced team to do it effectively. So I guess that's how I battle XD

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
  • Against human players, I think of the most effective way of taking them out with my current pokemon.
    CPUs, eh. Just kill em with whatever their weak against

papabopp

master
    Years
  • as long as ur not a noob all ya gotta do while agenst cpu's is use brute force except 4 the E4's were u need items and u gotta b a little prepared
    aganst real players it jus depends on my mood usually i go with the flo, somtimes i use status inflictors BUT i ALWAYS teach my pokemon diverse move sets unless theyre for certain strategies for example my rayquaza@focus band
    ice beam-dragon,flying,ground, grass coverage
    flamethrower-grass bug ice steel coverage
    dragonpulse-typical STAB
    extremespeed-wen i nearly faint and wen i no my opponent is faster

st.jimmy

ZOMG!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    most the time i stick with a strong fighting pokemon and when that faints i send out a wall pokemon that doesnt attack but just takes up turns.
    by the time i revive my main fighter to full health i send out a weak pokemon thatll die in one shot so that my strong pokemon doesnt get hurt....then i repeat :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2009
    When you battle do you use all out force? Or do you decide to out wit your opponents with stat reducing moves? Or lure them in with moves that take effect over time.. (Such as Burn, Poison etc..)

I tend to use force since I really can not come up with good move sets and combo things. All though, that all could change..

I have to say I attack with force though I also use moves that restore Hit Points and also moves that hit a pokemon after two turns one of my favorite stratagies would be using my Jirachi's Doom Desire attack and then Wish so on the next turn Jirachi gets cured and the opponent gets hurt

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Brute force. What I always do. It's easy, quick (unless there's a type disadvantage), and not-so-boring. (Shoot me if you disagree. I don't mind.)

I also focus on type advantages, if opponents have two Pokemon or more. For example, if the next Pokemon is a Water type, I'll switch Pokemon. But if I have no type advantages to, for example, a Dragon type, I'll just use my highest-level Pokemon and use my strongest moves to pwn them. It's always a great help.

I really hate stat-reducing moves. One, it's a waste of time for me; Two, the opponent might attack me; and three- Wait. I don't have three. But IF (Yes, a big 'IF'.) it's status-related (e.g. Poison, Burnt, Paralyze, etc etc.) I'll use it.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • The only time you'd notice any kind of strategy in my battles is in the E4 and Battle Tower. The main campaign of the game doesn't really require much strategy at all, as long as you can overpower your opponent.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • I'm like Pike Queen Lucy-I don't teach my Pokemonm defensive moves, unless it's Protect or something. And the only stat-reducing move I've ever used is Toxic. So I basically just use powerful moves/Pokemon with an advantage. However, I've noticed how annoying it is to have a Pokemon with high attack but really low defense....they get knocked out too easily. And I used to think items like Protein and Zinc were useless...

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
  • I use force, I don't keep moves that don't do damage, in other words, I don't keep Stat-lowering moves. I just kill them. I use only one or two Pokemon for the whole game. Charizard in FR/LG and Sceptile and Rayquaza in Emerald.

Back