• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you get your shinies?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I don't bother with them really, although I'd love to have one. The only one I've ever owned is Red Gyarados.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    If I'm trying to obtain shinies, I'd probably go to my best frand sis TwilightBlade to see if she'd be willing to give me the one I'm looking for. Otherwise, I usually chain for them in Pearl. I've tried SRing, egg hatching and other techniques in the past, but they consume a lot of my time and patience, stuff I really don't have. n_n

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Out of the shiny Pokemon that I ever got in my life, about 5% of the time I get them from online trading whether its unintentionally or I know that I am getting a shiny Pokemon, 2% of the time it is by finding them in the wild and the last 93% will have to go to using an action replay to get these shiny Pokemon.

:t354:TG

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
  • I get them by maaagic. Throughout several years of just playing, I had only seen one shiny. Last week I started a new game on Crystal, and got two in the same night. There is no way to describe my expression.

To answer your question simply, I just kind of stumble onto them.

User19sq

I just end up finding them out of the blue, Like my Ponyta and Mankey. Other times, I try to MM breed them, like my Vulpix.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I got my competitive shiny's from a breeder.
    However most of the shiny pokemon I have are found in the wild by chance.
    I recently got a Japanese ditto, so I might be ready to try breeding my own shiny's.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • If by 'shinies' you mean 'the Red Gyarados', then I don't think I even like getting that one. It's a nice feeling to get when you use, like, a Thunderbolt or something and its red body sinks deep into the Lake of Rage. But that's just me. Apart from that, like presumably many other posts, I've yet to encounter a shiny in the wild.

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • I usually go on the GTS to find one(I got a Shiny Rhyhorn for a level 1 Roggenrola there!), but when I feel like it, I usually try the Masuda Method, but I hardly have any luck. So yeah, I don't really bother trying to get one.

Procrastinatron

Annihilator of Youngster Joey
    Years
  • I've gone to the GTS to get as many foreign Pokemon as I can. Then I start hatching eggs until I start frying them for breakfast in frustration.....

Then I finally got a shiny Rufflet...not from the Masuda Method. Apart from the Red Gyarados, that was the first legitimate shiny I've encountered ever since I played Gold ten damn years ago >:[

Back