• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you personally go about making friends?

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    For some, making friends is easy and happens naturally. For others, it takes every ounce of courage to even just talk to someone for the first time. Do you make friends easily, or does it take time? Do you find it hard to approach others? When you do approach others, how do you go about becoming friends?

Sirfetch’d

I suck at it in real life so I don't try anymore really. It's easier online as I can find friends with similar interests and just strike up a casual conversation and talk with them!

ASG

ANTI-SPAM GUN
    Years
  • Be in more social situations. I'm a bouncer at a bar and work at a fitness center so by math (the sheer number of people I see each day) I eventually meet new people.

Hang out in more public places, go out more often. Eventually someone will strike up a conversation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    People usually come to me, both in-person and online. Sometimes I'll go up to a person in-person but it's usually just because I'm interested in a girl, though it ends up in friendship anyway lol. Though people coming to me doesn't happen often. I prefer being the pursuer when it comes to making friends because I know a lot of people have their legs frozen and their tongue stuck at the thought of approaching their own species.

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • I don't know how I got my friends, honestly. I'm super shy and I kind of just stare at people from afar...
    My best chance at meeting people is online like this

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Well I usually start by being shy/just keeping to myself. Over time I get more comfortable and I'm more myself until eventually I'm 100% me and then everyone from the beginning is like "wow you're not what I expected from when we first met" and history is made once again

Basically I'm trying to say my fabulous sense of humor and charm draw people in

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Was srsly scrolling on tumblr tryng to find a reaction gif on my dash and came across this:

Spoiler:

The caption:
    "that one person you really wanna be friends with"

it's like 500,000% true.

I've never been good at a starting point. Like, I can never START a friendship, but I can keep them (or try to). I usually keep to myself, and if someone enters my world, friendship happens. A lot of people seem to be amused so much by my clumsiness that they end up talking to me. ;u;

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    I guess I just kinda talk to everyone I can really. Friendship will always happen if you allow it to. The people around us, the people we see everyday, I think we're meant to share our lives with these people. We're meant to share stories and explore new things and get into arguments with these people. Why don't we? I think we have too much to lose by being shy.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I don't try to make friends, because I'm typically very detached from the world around me and inattentive to others. Everyone blends together to me. (For example, in this place, I can't really tell one person apart from the next just yet) Even if I do notice people I like, it takes me a long time of being in the same social setting. And that doesn't mean I'll approach them, because I most likely won't. I'm too awkward for that and I don't have the patience to get through all that small talk. Most conversations with people go nowhere, and most relationships are just casual, talk every now and then, sorts of things. I don't consider that a real friendship. Friendship to me is a very big deal.

If someone's going to be my friend, they'll have to work really hard in the beginning. I'll kick in once I start realizing that you're important to me. And trust me, that takes me a while to do. You could think we're the best of friends, and I'll still think of you as an acquaintance. But once I stop thinking that, I'll start putting forth loads of effort and work. Sometimes I'll come to you. But I either have to be in a random mood of confidence or you have to stand out a lot to me.

The only reason I've made friends is because my personality on the internet tends to attract the attention of others. They start speaking to me, and I engage them, not really thinking much of it. Eventually, a connection forms. But that hasn't happened in years. I mostly just wait for people to come to me.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • In real life I watch people a lot to get a feel for them for a very long time before I approach. I usually wait for people to come up to me first unless I know we have a similar interest and they're a nice person. Then I gauge whether or not I think we'll be a good match and depending on that finding I'll keep talking to them to build a relationship or drift off. Or either they think we won't work and drift off.

Online I only look for people with similar interests and then talk to them. Sometimes I make the first move, sometimes they do. But even though it is online, I still do try to see if we'll be a good match in the long run. Some people I just don't click with.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I find people I think I'd be interested in becoming friends with. This is based on looks, personality, quirks, and other things. Pretty much, I choose my friends.
    I say hi and introduce myself.
    I talk to them about things that they may like.
    I find a connection and latch onto it. (Example: Katie likes Pokémon)
    We bond over things that we both enjoy.
    We explore other mutual interests and experiences.
    I ask for their number and add them to social media.
    We hang out.
    We continue to bond over things we enjoy and our friendship grows.
    We continue to talk.

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018
    Answer: I don't, AYYYO

At least in real life, if I wanna talk to someone on the internet, I either try to subtly force them to start a conversation or pester them til we do.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • It's just something that happens I guess.

If I know even one person, it's a lot easier for me to talk to new people, but I'm pretty shy when it comes to meeting new people, especially when I don't know anyone around me.

Sometimes if I'm at a camp or something I'm usually somehow forced to become friends after a simple hi and introduction. The friendship overtime grows and in those circumstances, since I'm around those people almost 24/7 becomes some of the best friendships I will have.

If it's a new school or uni/ uni class. Most of us don't know each other and for some reason those ice breaker games usually somewhat help with the whole friendship thing.

Years
  • I usually make friends when forced together (e.g. class mates, work colleagues). I'm not able to just go up to anyone and start a conversation. My small talk skills are abysmal. As a result I loathe going to networking events because it's always super awkward for me and my lack of talking points.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i generally don't seek out friends, but i'm not like... a loner or w/e. i'm just a rather quiet and introverted person until it's beneficial for me to talk. i also have really bad anxiety in most large groups so it's just better for me to not talk to people i'm not familiar with in those situations! and i'm certainly not trying to make nice at parties! i'm just trying to go the fuck off without someone trying to make conversation. but once it's in my interests to be charming and talkative, it's very hard for me to stop until i get it all out of my system, lol. and i am very, very charming when i want to be.
    if i want to spark a conversation with someone i prefer that they start it first but since that's not really an option if i want to expand my friend base then i have to be proactive
    so.. i just improvise i guess
    i go with what feels right in the situation

but most of the time i'd rather just be on my own or stick to my current small circle

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • For me its about chatting a lot and creating a strong bond between minds and making sure we can rely on them and they can rely on us when time comes

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I... really don't. O_O Like, I try and what not, but I usually end up failing. I think I've kind of given up on the whole idea of trying to make friends. I usually prefer people to befriend me because it's easier for me. D:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't have a problem with talking to people online, so online I can usually get atleast some good conversation with people. In real life though, I probably won't talk to you in an open enviroment. I meet people through forced interaction, via clubs, schools, and music lessons. From there on, forming a friendship isn't that hard, it's just that I generally don't start conversation with people.

Years
  • Most of my friendships come from connections with other friends, or sometimes conversations.

I met most of my college friends through owning a 3DS system and having it out in the cafeteria, and others saw me with it and we just started talking. We also talk about anime and other TV shows as well, which is fun.

Norou

Drifting away into an illusion
    Years
  • For me it just happens, but people normally come up to me in order to strike up a conversation. I'm too shy to go up to someone that I don't know and strike up a conversation with them, but I'm trying to be more outgoing so hopefully that changes soon.

I normally look for similar interests that we might have if I want to be friends with someone. I've had past friendships to where it was hard to keep the conversations going because we didn't really have anything in common.

Back